U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 06:36 PM

192 posts, read 426,832 times

Advertisements

What is the consensus about police coverage in Lubec Maine? I found two articles which show two different narratives; and Iím curious what people who live in Lubec think? Also the Bangor article stated that Lubec has only had the sheriffís contract for the past 8 years, did Lubec previously have their own police department how did this work out and why was it closed down?

Crime on the rise in Lubec after town loses police coverage, resident says — Down East — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

The Quoddy Tides
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 05:20 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
A greater level of municipal services requires higher taxes.

I am not aware of Lubec's history.

Any conversation about increasing municipal services is a conversation about raising taxes.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:40 PM

192 posts, read 426,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
A greater level of municipal services requires higher taxes.

I am not aware of Lubec's history.

Any conversation about increasing municipal services is a conversation about raising taxes.
I’m not sure if this action would require raising any taxes. I know that for the past 8 years the town of Lubec had a contractual agreement with the Washington County Sheriff; as part of this agreement they paid the county to assign two deputies exclusively to the town of Lubec during the daytime hours.

As of July the contract expired (I believe it also expired a few months earlier than expected because the sheriff was shorthanded). Some people in the town have since kicked around the idea of using the money that would have previously went to the sheriff to hire two fulltime officers who work for the town. In the meantime nothing has been done but there seems to be some debate as to how the lack of full time police coverage has effected the town. Or if its had any effect at all.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrion14621
Iím not sure if this action would require raising any taxes. I know that for the past 8 years the town of Lubec had a contractual agreement with the Washington County Sheriff; as part of this agreement they paid the county to assign two deputies exclusively to the town of Lubec during the daytime hours.

As of July the contract expired (I believe it also expired a few months earlier than expected because the sheriff was shorthanded). Some people in the town have since kicked around the idea of using the money that would have previously went to the sheriff to hire two fulltime officers who work for the town. In the meantime nothing has been done but there seems to be some debate as to how the lack of full time police coverage has effected the town. Or if its had any effect at all.
A Police Department office, computers, vehicles, on-going training, sick-time, vacation time, pension plans, health care, insurance, administration costs; all aside from salaries. That is a big leap for a town to make.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:20 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
The budget commiteand city manager in Eastport figured put that it is more expensive per year to "rent" the state police than keep our owndepartment. They didn't figure in the sherrif going by what happened in Lubec. Add in that when someone dials 911 they then have to start praying the SP aren't in Danforth or Jonesboro. Like they say "When seconds count, the cops are only minutes away."

I haven't heard anything lately about crime in Lubec. At their selectman's meetings they are debating the hours the town hall is open; still. Interesting viewing on the local access channel.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 AM

444 posts, read 972,866 times
This isn't about current situation but......back in the early '60's, I was stationed at Group Quoddy Head, and I seem to recall Lubec had (at least) one police officer; maybe he was a constable or something like that. And there was a light bulb attached to the top of a pole on main street Lubec and if that light came on, his services were needed. How that exactly worked I can't remember. Maybe someone has knowledge of that.

Old 10-21-2012, 11:03 AM

163 posts, read 248,427 times
Lubec, like many small towns in Maine, seems to have the opposite of growing pains. As a teenager growing up in Machias, I recall Lubec usually had a formidable basketball team. They usually beat us and traveling there I remember alot of town spirit.

Incidently, our police force consisted of two full time officers with the proverbial Barney Fife like "gumball machines" mounted on the roof of their personal vehicles. The high point of the day was watching the guys peel out and race their souped up 55 chevies, etc. as high school let out. The poor cop would stop them once in a while, but mostly just watched the action!

Old 10-22-2012, 01:51 AM

99 posts, read 180,227 times
There is no police department... the sheriff's department handles calls, and according to the sheriff he is understaffed. I am pretty sure there are no officers assigned exclusively to Lubec...

Old 10-22-2012, 04:33 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillieUSA View Post
There is no police department... the sheriff's department handles calls, and according to the sheriff he is understaffed. I am pretty sure there are no officers assigned exclusively to Lubec...

From my understanding the Sherrif isn't patrolong at all anymore. 911 gets the State or Sherrif there if they get a call. Depends on who is closer. Lubec is sort of debating a part time officer of their own.

Old 10-25-2012, 05:22 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
What they really need is a PSA, a public service assistant. I am not up on if Maine law allows this or not, but a PSA is a glorified security guard. They can write tickets, and if necessary arrest people, but not transport them to jail. If they wish, they can carry a hand gun if they are certified. These are part-time people who basically patrol the town. You would be amazed at how much presence, a single officer or PSA gives to an area. It's a great prevention. Salary and benefits are less, because the position is not full-time. Usually these people patrol during the evening hours. It's amazing how brave people get when the sun goes down. It is sort of like the old time constable. I remember many times eluding him after racing around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine