U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2008, 12:13 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,699,604 times
We're in Texas in a small community just north of downtown Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2008, 02:38 PM

21,343 posts, read 26,257,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
We're actually priced below every other house in our neighborhood at $62.45 a sq ft, and we have one of the nicest houses in the neighborhood. I'm not just saying that because of all the personal work we've put into this house. I've actually toured several of the other houses and viewed the rest extensively online.

The really confusing aspect is that homes that are priced higher than ours and are not in as good a condition as ours are still selling. That just confuses the hell out of me, and it really makes me question our agent's marketing tactics.
I have a different kind of suggestion for you.

Ask a friend [who does not live in your neighborhood] to go and contact a realtor. To present themselves as a possible home buyer and that they had seen 'X' home on the WWW, and could that realtor take them through it.

If there is anything happening to account for why this 'really confusing aspect', then they will see it.

Because they would be dealing with a local realtor as if they were buyers, they could hear exactly what the realtors are saying when they show your home.

Please don't anyone take offense at my suggestion, it does seem odd to me that this 'really confusing aspect' is happening. And I think that it would help to find out what it is.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:46 PM

No offense at all. We need to know where our breakdown is, regardless of how personal it may be to us. That's the only way we can fix the problem. I love your suggestion! Thanks!!

and Happy New Year!

Old 01-01-2008, 04:16 PM

1,637 posts, read 2,489,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have a different kind of suggestion for you.

Ask a friend [who does not live in your neighborhood] to go and contact a realtor. To present themselves as a possible home buyer and that they had seen 'X' home on the WWW, and could that realtor take them through it.

If there is anything happening to account for why this 'really confusing aspect', then they will see it.

Because they would be dealing with a local realtor as if they were buyers, they could hear exactly what the realtors are saying when they show your home.

Please don't anyone take offense at my suggestion, it does seem odd to me that this 'really confusing aspect' is happening. And I think that it would help to find out what it is.
Real Estate agents don't earn a salary, they have no benefits, they pay both ends of FICA and Medicare, no retirement, no vacation pay and they work nights, weekends and holidays. They only get paid when they successfully navigate through a transaction successfully and then get to pay their business expenses and office split and franchise fee out of the proceeds. So yes, time is money. I certainly hope that no upright, honest person would make an appointment to meet with a Real Estate Agent, go through the paperwork and state-mandated disclosures and waste their time and the agent's by visiting a home, when they have no intention of buying it. Smart REALTORS will ask a customer for a pre-approval letter before taking them out looking. Many offices will also photocopy a new customer's driver's license before leaving the office on showings, as several agents have been assaulted by imposters posing as interested customers.

Please, those of you who are honorable, don't waste a REALTOR's time with such a scheme. Ask your REALTOR to bring in a "pricing team" of 3 or 4 other professionals to objectively come up with an "energy" price that will sell the property quickly. As I've stated previously, a relationship with your REALTOR is like a marriage, you need honesty and good communication. Anything less and you're shortchanging yourself and your agent. There is no mystery about Elcarim's house - it came on the market at a price that didn't excite the buyer public and they moved on to other homes, it happens everyday. Now the home is priced in line with the competition, but it's not a new listing and the buyer public is wondering why it hasn't sold after all this time on the market.

Moderator cut: Continued personal recriminations will result in infractions

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-01-2008 at 10:50 PM..

Old 01-01-2008, 04:39 PM

I had no idea it was that difficult to schedule a showing on a house. Maybe that's why more people aren't visiting!

So, can *I* invite other realtors to come by and give us an objective opinion? Maybe I need to interview 3 or 4 from various offices to get more of a clear idea from them what THEY would expect in our market.

I'm certainly not trying to cheat anyone! But I have found that the realtors we've dealt with so far have said just about anything to secure and later to keep our account, then failed miserably to follow through. The original listing agent gave us a laundry list of maketing tools they would use, then only used two of them for the first month - we got a sign in the yard and an MLS listing. The next assigned agent who was here to make sure they kept the listing after the first failed attempt gave us even more promises of what she would do better, and she lasted 3 weeks before moving on. We did at least make it to print that time! Makes it very hard to trust them now! I'm sure you understand.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I had no idea it was that difficult to schedule a showing on a house. Maybe that's why more people aren't visiting!

So, can *I* invite other realtors to come by and give us an objective opinion? Maybe I need to interview 3 or 4 from various offices to get more of a clear idea from them what THEY would expect in our market.

I'm certainly not trying to cheat anyone! But I have found that the realtors we've dealt with so far have said just about anything to secure and later to keep our account, then failed miserably to follow through. The original listing agent gave us a laundry list of maketing tools they would use, then only used two of them for the first month - we got a sign in the yard and an MLS listing. The next assigned agent who was here to make sure they kept the listing after the first failed attempt gave us even more promises of what she would do better, and she lasted 3 weeks before moving on. We did at least make it to print that time! Makes it very hard to trust them now! I'm sure you understand.
It's not very difficult and there are hundreds of buyers with agents in your marketplace. The agents have interviewed the buyers to learn what they are looking for in a home and decide whether they wish to work with that buyer. If Texas practices Buyer Agency, like Maine does, the agency and buyer will most likely enter into an exclusive representation agreement, the agent then owes complete fiduciary resonsibilites to the buyer and the buyer agrees to work exclusively with that agency. The good agents will make sure the buyer has obtained a pre-approval letter from a reputable loan officer, to ensure that they are not wasting time by looking at homes they can't afford.

Yes you can call other agents and ask for a market analsyis and you should. All the agents know about your home and its history on the MLS. Ask them their theories on pricing and their marketing plans and choose the best agent to take over your home after your present agency releases you or upon expiration.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:54 PM

33,708 posts, read 10,493,620 times
Just want to publically thank WhoFanMe for his good counsel and advice and interpretations. Thank you for sharing your expertise and your opinions, I for one like to hear what you have to say.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Just want to publically thank WhoFanMe for his good counsel and advice and interpretations. Thank you for sharing your expertise and your opinions, I for one like to hear what you have to say.
Thanks elston, I appreciate that.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:14 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,396,488 times
Who

It is unfortunate that in every profession, there are incompetent people. From what I gathered, the previous posts were attempting to see what the agent was actually doing, and not here say. I understand the hoops that must be jumped through and all the paperwork that come together for a satisfactory closing. Lots of time and effort are generated to sell a single home. I am sympathetic to real estate agents who fall victim to look-e-loos (what we call them in FL) who have no intention of buying a home, but continue to look at them. They look at so many that it becomes a form of entertainment. Bad for business. But I also understand in today's world that with so many people performing a job, incompetence has to creep in. May what Forrest suggested was a bit unusual, but what a way to actually see if the agent was on task. While I do not agree with the reasons, I do have to agree with the fact checking up on someone is a good way to remove all the uncertainties between the parties.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Who

It is unfortunate that in every profession, there are incompetent people. From what I gathered, the previous posts were attempting to see what the agent was actually doing, and not here say. I understand the hoops that must be jumped through and all the paperwork that come together for a satisfactory closing. Lots of time and effort are generated to sell a single home. I am sympathetic to real estate agents who fall victim to look-e-loos (what we call them in FL) who have no intention of buying a home, but continue to look at them. They look at so many that it becomes a form of entertainment. Bad for business. But I also understand in today's world that with so many people performing a job, incompetence has to creep in. May what Forrest suggested was a bit unusual, but what a way to actually see if the agent was on task. While I do not agree with the reasons, I do have to agree with the fact checking up on someone is a good way to remove all the uncertainties between the parties.
Please help me understand if a buyer and a buyer agent or in this case transaction broker tour the home, how are they checking up on whether the listing agent is doing his/her job? I don't know about your part of Florida or Elcarim's part of Texas, but with the introduction of lock boxes, the listing agent is almost never at the property when the buyer and his/her agent are there. Maine has just introduced electonic lock boxes, I can see what time the agent showed my listing and his/her phone number and e mail address. I also subscribe to a service that sends up to three e mails asking for feedback. If anything, the agent representing the buyer can see if the seller is on task - are the beds made, the dishes in the dishwasher, underwear off the floor? The only time you're likely to see the listing agent in the house is if he/she is representing both the buyer and seller through disclosed dual agency or at an open house. In Maine, both parties must agree in writing to allow disclosed dual agency. So send your friend to an open house alone, but don't take an innocent agent who is missing opportunity with a real prospect to put food on their table. That's my point.

I'm all for checks and balances, but what is being advocated here is fraud. It's one thing to be a looky loo, and any agent who spends an extended period of time with them has to make that sacrifice in the hopes that they will one day buy, but to deliberately lie to a professional in order to see a house that one has no intention of buying is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine