Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2008, 07:32 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,242 times

Advertisements

Who:

I think you are correct as to what happens here in Florida. In the larger cities, the lock boxes are up on the doors, but in the smaller towns, and urban communities, the agent actually shows the home. My next door neighbors house has been up for sale for some time, and there has never been a lock box on the door. The listing agent has been showing the home. Personally, I don't think any salesman (what a real estate agent is) will ever do anything deliberately to sabotage a sale. As my grandfather used to say, no work no eat. No Sale, no Eat. I just think there are a few out there who just aren't on the ball, and that is what perhaps happened to El. I do however, see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 09:40 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,108,727 times
[quote=maine4.us;2390831]Who:

I think you are correct as to what happens here in Florida. In the larger cities, the lock boxes are up on the doors, but in the smaller towns, and urban communities, the agent actually shows the home. quote]

My last selling agent (city area) puts lockboxes on all her listings as a convenience, so she doesn't have to carry a full set of keys everywhere, but she accompanied ALL showings. I'm convinced that her presence at all showings helped to sell the house more quickly than it would otherwise, as she was able to answer all questions on the spot and present the house and the neighborhood in its most comprehensive light. I was actually present at one showing and heard the prospective buyer asking their own agent questions about the neighborhood, that their agent couldn't answer. My agent stepped in with all kinds of great information on local schools, shopping, transporation, etc. (They did make an offer - not the one I ultimately accepted, but still....)

Old 01-02-2008, 09:45 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
It's very common here for buyers to come in with their own agent, and the selling agent doesn't even show the house. They use lock boxes here too. The selling agent relys on others to show the house (and we see how well THAT is working!) to avoid conflict of interest between representing a seller AND a buyer. That's what we've been told. The seller's agent is rarely on the property when the home is shown. I've asked myself a number of times if our agent isn't on premesis during a showing, who is going to SELL the home? How would the buyer's agent who's never been inside our home before know anything about it? They don't know that we've done $20K in reno in the last 2 years. They don't know that all the kitchen appliances are new and YES, the fridge is included.

I don't get how they expect a house to sell itself, and I also don't get where our agent is EARNING her money.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:11 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,456 times
My house is for sale and I wouldn't let the realtor use a lockbox. I have a RE license (don't use it much), and it makes no sense to have a selling broker show the house....they know nothing about it. It's quite frustrating.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:03 PM

[quote=Elcarim;2392003]It's very common here for buyers to come in with their own agent, and the selling agent doesn't even show the house. [/quote.

I had a choice of many agents.
- Some who only used lockboxes, put your house on MLS and then basically disappeared until an offer came in;
- Some who would accompany if possible, but if they were busy elsewhere, would let the buyer's agent do the showing alone;
- Some who would agree to accompany all showings if explicity asked to do so, and
- Some like the one I chose, who told me point-blank without being asked during our pre-contract interview "we accompany all showings, of course". She said it like she meant, "nobody gets into your house unless I'm there". I liked this take-charge approach. It's also a good idea from a safety/security standpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
They use lock boxes here too. The selling agent relys on others to show the house (and we see how well THAT is working!) to avoid conflict of interest between representing a seller AND a buyer. That's what we've been told.
Huh? That's a new twist. Just thinking about this logically, it seems to me that if your selling (llisting) agent is there....and the buyer's agent is there....there's no confusion about who is representing who. Don't realtors in your state also have those handy-dandy little agreements they ask buyers to sign to indicate they're acting as their buyer agent (or not?)

Quote:
I've asked myself a number of times if our agent isn't on premesis during a showing, who is going to SELL the home? How would the buyer's agent who's never been inside our home before know anything about it? They don't know that we've done $20K in reno in the last 2 years. They don't know that all the kitchen appliances are new and YES, the fridge is included. I don't get how they expect a house to sell itself, and I also don't get where our agent is EARNING her money.
I'm guessing they think the listing sheet is enough info to start with, but I agree, having your own agent there to represent you is the ideal situation. Sometimes that 1st showing will be the best - or only - window of opporunity to generate an offer. In the high buying seasons, people often attend multiple showings on a single day. I know I felt really good about my agent being at my house every time the place was shown, not only providing information but being able to discuss potential offers on the spot.

Last edited by Boomerang; 01-02-2008 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,437 times
Quote:
It's very common here for buyers to come in with their own agent, and the selling agent doesn't even show the house. They use lock boxes here too. The selling agent relys on others to show the house (and we see how well THAT is working!) to avoid conflict of interest between representing a seller AND a buyer. That's what we've been told. The seller's agent is rarely on the property when the home is shown. I've asked myself a number of times if our agent isn't on premesis during a showing, who is going to SELL the home? How would the buyer's agent who's never been inside our home before know anything about it? They don't know that we've done $20K in reno in the last 2 years. They don't know that all the kitchen appliances are new and YES, the fridge is included.

I don't get how they expect a house to sell itself, and I also don't get where our agent is EARNING her money.
When I interview a potential seller, I ask their preference, do they want me at showings or do they prefer a lock box? By asking me to attend showings, they would limit their opportunites to have their house exposed, as I can't be everywhere 365 days/24 hours. That is why lockboxes were introduced, although not all regions use them. I am working with others on a high end condo and we do try to show it to the buyer agent with their client, if they haven't seen the building before, as they need to go to the fifth floor to find the model unit and then branch out to the other units. We are there to help, but not to push the property on the prospect. We might also be present on a waterfront property, to show the boundaries and we walk land listings with Buyer Agents and their clients, but for the most part, in the Greater Portland area, the listing agent is not present. In Maine, agents go through many hours to obtain their Sales Agent license and then another series of classes and demonstrated field experience to earn their Associate Broker license two years after they become Sales Agents - most see hundreds of homes per year. A competent agent should be able to show your home without the listing agent present. It's much like when I visit a store and a clerk accosts me as I walk in and says, "can I help you find something?" I always say, "no, just looking, thanks." In 2008, buyers don't want to be harrassed or pushed, they want to take a look on their own terms, with their own agent on their own schedule. The buyer should know about the $20,000 in renovations, because it should be on the MLS listing and/or the property disclosure, which appliances are offered (again listed on the MLS) and the fact that the appliances are new. I put a house under contract last week where the sellers were not offering the new washer/dryer and we asked for them anyway. When the counter offer came back, they decided to include the washer/dryer. In other cases, the seller may advertise certain things on MLS and then not include them on the agreed to Purchase and Sale Agreement. If it's not on the Purchase and Sale Agreement, it's not included, no matter what the advertising says. One word of caution however, many sellers think they should receive dollar for dollar on renovations - this isn't necessarily so. Last month's REALTOR magazine had the annual study of cost vs. payback on remodeling, which I have at home and varies by geographic region. I can post those later. Also, keep in mind money spent on things such as a new roof, furnace, siding, painting, well, septic, etc. are maintenance items and add no value to the home, a buyer expects these things - unless the home is marketed "as is."

I'll add one more thing, which some may find controversial. REALTORS don't sell homes, we sell marketing. We bring qualified buyers to your door, it's then when the house needs to take over - the curb appeal, the staging, the amenities. Houses do sell themselves, the key is to get as many people as possible to want to see it. It's a team, the REALTOR brings the prospect, the seller provides the environment conducive to a sale. Today's buyer knows all about the neighborhood, schools, comparables and amenities in your home, the internet has empowered them to know nearly as much about the home as the listing agent. When a buyer is seeing 5 or 6 homes in a day (or more) they will want to come back and see a home for a seond showing, now that they've eliminated the competition. It's quite clear that your agency and you are not a good team, and that's a shame. When this team is in place, the house is priced properly from the start and the curb appeal blows away the competion you will get multiple showings in the first two weeks and create the perfect environment for an offer.

Old 01-02-2008, 12:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
El that realtor of yours need to take a walk. You can do better!! I think you have every right to break your contract with all you're been through. It doesn't appear that you've ever really even been represented!!

Last edited by mollysmiles; 01-02-2008 at 12:09 PM.. Reason: typo:)

Old 01-02-2008, 12:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,420,601 times
The last person who showed our home came unannounced, and I was stuck here without a car. I told them I'd hang out in the back room until they were finished. Of course, I was eavesdropping! After the third time their agent answered a question with "I'm not sure...." I came out and asked if I could answer any questions for them. We ended up with a very nice showing, I walked through the rest of the house with them and the feedback our agent got was very good. They said our house was their favorite by far. It turned out that they didn't qualify for enough of a loan to buy our house.

I wasn't happy at all with the lack of knowledge or preparation on their realtor's part - at least our agent could have answered the simple questions they were asking. It also frustrated me that the questions they asked were ALL answered on our MLS listing, which, apparently, their agent did not bring a copy of. What's the deal with that? Very unprofessional.

Anyway, after all this discussion, I do have some very clear direction now as we move forward. Hashing this all out in writing has helped trememdously and I know exactly the agent I'm looking for and the questions I will have answered satisfactorily before we hire another one. I'd love to hire Boom's last agent, but I guess she doesn't work our area!

You've all brought many things out that I did not know or think of before now. Thank you!

Old 01-02-2008, 12:32 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,223,437 times
Quote:
The last person who showed our home came unannounced, and I was stuck here without a car. I told them I'd hang out in the back room until they were finished. Of course, I was eavesdropping! After the third time their agent answered a question with "I'm not sure...." I came out and asked if I could answer any questions for them. We ended up with a very nice showing, I walked through the rest of the house with them and the feedback our agent got was very good. They said our house was their favorite by far. It turned out that they didn't qualify for enough of a loan to buy our house.

I wasn't happy at all with the lack of knowledge or preparation on their realtor's part - at least our agent could have answered the simple questions they were asking. It also frustrated me that the questions they asked were ALL answered on our MLS listing, which, apparently, their agent did not bring a copy of. What's the deal with that? Very unprofessional.

Anyway, after all this discussion, I do have some very clear direction now as we move forward. Hashing this all out in writing has helped trememdously and I know exactly the agent I'm looking for and the questions I will have answered satisfactorily before we hire another one. I'd love to hire Boom's last agent, but I guess she doesn't work our area!

You've all brought many things out that I did not know or think of before now. Thank you!
You are correct, not only very unprofessional, but bordering on incompetent. The agent may have set the showing up with your agent, which didn't get communicated properly, but more likely they were driving by and saw your sign - they still should have called up your agent first. It's sad that the agent wasted their buyers and your time by bringing through a party not qualified to purchase your home. That agent will not last in the business.

Old 01-03-2008, 03:00 PM

Default Kennebeck Journal Housing Article

For your late-night, toes to the fire reading time, in keeping with the subject of this thread:

Maine's economic<br>outlook looks mixed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine