U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:59 PM

21,553 posts, read 27,195,837 times
Styrofoam board at HomeDepot is also pink.

And the foam re-use store in Stockton Springs sales it for much cheaper.

Go! Tom Goeze and Professor Dick Hill! Go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:24 PM

2,712 posts, read 3,454,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Styrofoam board at HomeDepot is also pink.

And the foam re-use store in Stockton Springs sales it for much cheaper.

Go! Tom Goeze and Professor Dick Hill! Go!
Thanks for that clarification...we don't have a Home Depot here... and when I popped by the one in Bangor for an electric cord, I didn't wander much, as it was quite late. I had been looking for WalMart but coulnd't find it! LOL

The foam I remember seeing at our Lowes Home Center here was blue...

Foam re-use store?? That's a new on on me! Well, heck I buy recycled TP, why not! <g>

Old 10-11-2007, 08:34 PM

7,711 posts, read 7,604,547 times
I read a story somewhere recently that explained that they are now using old denim (used jeans) to make home insulation. It's being used by Habitat for Humanity in homes being built in New Orleans. ...It's also a good source of reworkable fabric for quilts

Old 10-11-2007, 08:36 PM

The current Wallmart in Bangor is across the road from the HomeDepot, but you have to drive around the block to get into it. I heard that they are building a new one, a much bigger one, a 1/2 mile away.

The fiberglass batting is pink, as is the foam board. They may have some blue foam though I think that it is only 1/8 inch thick and corrugated.

The two guys host a radio talk show every Saturday Morning. One guy is a professor at Orono who teaches physics and thermal-dynamics [heat loss], the other guy owns the foam re-use store, and together they are always reviewing how folks are building things, reminding home owners of things to avoid doing, and recommending new techniques.

For our house, I built a steel building and I sprayed the interior walls and roofing with spray-on foam. Before covering them with nine inches of fiberglass batting and wood paneling. R-40

Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 PM

449 posts, read 878,920 times
We lived in a house that had the pink styrofoam board under the siding- that was quite the house, they covered over rather than actually fixed things. We moved because the all porcelain bathroom was 50 degrees in winter..and the porcelain even colder..brrr! In all fairness to the landlord, the living room was toasty due to a new heater..the bathroom and kitchen though had no heat and lots of holes in the foundation.

The stuff we used had a thicker than posterboard? exterior but inside was this real dense foam - it was designed for staples/push pins. It definitely wasn't styrofoam. I'm guessing you can pick a variety of home insulation board and this is one of the choices or am I wrong that you can get big sheets of this stuff?

Old 10-11-2007, 10:55 PM

12,142 posts, read 21,318,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
For our house, I built a steel building and I sprayed the interior walls and roofing with spray-on foam. Before covering them with nine inches of fiberglass batting and wood paneling. R-40
That spray-on insulation is the cats meow! As long as you get an even sweep, there are NO voids for air infiltration. That is the way to go if anybody is building or remodeling down to bare studs. Just make sure you have all the electrical boxes in place first because it is a PAIN to fish wire through the stuff, and you will leave a nice "chimney" for drafts to develop.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That spray-on insulation is the cats meow! As long as you get an even sweep, there are NO voids for air infiltration. That is the way to go if anybody is building or remodeling down to bare studs. Just make sure you have all the electrical boxes in place first because it is a PAIN to fish wire through the stuff, and you will leave a nice "chimney" for drafts to develop.
It does seal thing very tight. No drafts, and it adds a lot of structural strength too.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 AM

7,392 posts, read 8,255,925 times
ok, in the spring when we start ripping the walls down to studs in the Eastport house, will you guys tell me this about the sprayed insulation--again? lol....

Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM

I have sprayed a LOT of it!

Whenever you need some, I will get you the lowest prices on it. Just keep me in mind for that project. [I am not volunteering to do the work, jsut to get you connected with the best pricing]

Our home is 40' X 60' with 12' eaves. I sprayed all four walls [2400sq ft] and the roof [2400sq ft], with 1.5 inch thick foam.

Old 10-12-2007, 05:16 PM

411 posts, read 553,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
that "pink insulation" is fiberglas and unless it was THOROUGHLY encased in something in a way that did not squish it -- the loft is part of how it gets its R-factor rating) I would not consider it safe to be around on a regular basis. Those little glass fibers are very irritating.. get under your skin, etc. Nasty stuff to work with -- wear long sleeves, jeans and don't handle it too much. The rigid board (whatever type) is much easier to deal with and would work much better for the application you are considering. I have dealt with both and would never consider using fiberglas bats anywhere that there were not permanently "locked away" from people and critters by sheet rock or the like.
Ah yes, that is what I was referring to, the rigid board styrofoam stuff. Sorry, I totally forgot that there even was the other type. I haven't used that in years... I hate that stuff! Thanks for looking out for us starwalker!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine