U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times

Advertisements

'Stove up' (or in)- not just a Mainism, used plenty by folks south and west as well, particularly in rural areas.

Deer hits: instead of accelerating, brake and swerve in the opposite direction of the way it's running- if you can't avoid it completely you may be able to get away with just clipping its hind end, which will spin it around and bounce it off the side of the car instead of coming through the windshield (voice of experience here). The slower you're going when you hit, the better off you are. (If a state cop advised someone to accelerate, his badge and gun should be taken away because he's too stupid to be a cop. Wishful thinking won't negate the laws of Physics.)

Moose hits: Try to avoid them. Nothing that weighs as much as a moose is going to 'flip' over the roof of an ordinary car- laws of Physics still apply. The hoods of most cars are low enough that the most likely scenario is that you will clip his legs out from under him and he's going to *roll* over the roof of the car, crushing it in the process (happened to one of my uncles over Cutler way, he was quick enough to duck below the dashboard and survived).
- If you have a jacked-up pick-up that's high enough not to just clip his legs out from under him, the laws of Physics *still* apply- smacking a moose broadside won't be much different from hitting a boulder or a tree. (If you happen to be driving a Tractor-trailer with 80,000lbs of weight behind you, the laws of Physics will be more in your favor.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 01:25 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Turkeys running down the middle of the road while driving 65 miles an hour Scared the crap out of me. I almost hit it. We have a huge deer problem here. I have a friend that ran into one on her bicycle on our bike path. She was seriously injured. I see them down the street in our park and on peoples lawns all the time. My Howie likes to chase them through the park, but I have to check both of us for ticks. There was this rather large buck that followed us through the park one snowy winter night. It was magical but he was running around the streets and I was afraid someone would hit him and be injured. I used to see him from time to time in another small piece of property a couple of blocks from our house. He was quite magnificent. They are a mixed blessing here in suburbia and some need to be culled. It's too dangerous to hunt them here and the few coyotes we have like to eat our pets instead
Tell your husband to stop chasing the deer! Jeesh!

Old 11-01-2012, 01:30 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
He *wants* to be checked for ticks.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:38 AM

20,595 posts, read 15,424,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Stove up' (or in)- not just a Mainism, used plenty by folks south and west as well, particularly in rural areas.

Deer hits: instead of accelerating, brake and swerve in the opposite direction of the way it's running- if you can't avoid it completely you may be able to get away with just clipping its hind end, which will spin it around and bounce it off the side of the car instead of coming through the windshield (voice of experience here). The slower you're going when you hit, the better off you are. (If a state cop advised someone to accelerate, his badge and gun should be taken away because he's too stupid to be a cop. Wishful thinking won't negate the laws of Physics.)

Moose hits: Try to avoid them. Nothing that weighs as much as a moose is going to 'flip' over the roof of an ordinary car- laws of Physics still apply. The hoods of most cars are low enough that the most likely scenario is that you will clip his legs out from under him and he's going to *roll* over the roof of the car, crushing it in the process (happened to one of my uncles over Cutler way, he was quick enough to duck below the dashboard and survived).
- If you have a jacked-up pick-up that's high enough not to just clip his legs out from under him, the laws of Physics *still* apply- smacking a moose broadside won't be much different from hitting a boulder or a tree. (If you happen to be driving a Tractor-trailer with 80,000lbs of weight behind you, the laws of Physics will be more in your favor.)
Thanks, Zymer. I'm more inclined to follow this advice for the deer AND the moose. Seriously, a moose is going to crush my car no matter what I do unless I can avoid the hit altogether. No matter what, I'm pretty much done for, doesn't matter what fancy schmancy procedure someone has told me to try, I can assure you, if I hit a moose, I'm done. I am fully behind the, "try to avoid it", policy.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
LOL Don't make me come over there!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 PM

13,019 posts, read 7,193,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
He *wants* to be checked for ticks.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
In Bangor today on Broadway, I was driving my truck loaded to capacity with livestock feed, when the vehicle in front of me hit their brakes hard and skidded half out of the lane, to avoid, .... a sea gull standing in our lane.

Fortunately I stopped in time.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:11 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In Bangor today on Broadway, I was driving my truck loaded to capacity with livestock feed, when the vehicle in front of me hit their brakes hard and skidded half out of the lane, to avoid, .... a sea gull standing in our lane.

Hey, we're supposed to have deal with the gulls. They get out of our way and we overlook them crapping on everything.

Glad you avoided a crash.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:32 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Hey, we're supposed to have deal with the gulls. They get out of our way and we overlook them crapping on everything.

Glad you avoided a crash.
I am glad I avoided hitting her too.

I am always a bit nervous when my truck is weighted down onto it's axles with a heavy load.

I like the new Tractor Supply for it's lower feed prices, but I dislike trying to get out of there as the stretch from Griffin to I-95 is always so congested.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

I will try to avoid the little critters but not put myself at risk going off the road...... I particularly wouldnt swerve to avoid a sea gull-unless i was on a motorcycle..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine