Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Why would I want to do that? My parents, before they died, used to have a house on the beach in North Carolina. The wife and kids and I stayed there through a couple of tropical storms and they were very very scary.

People who live near water in the path of a major storm need to leave. This is very very dangerous to life and limb. Its not just the rain. The wind drives more than rain. Pieces of junk get picked up and hurled forward at a speed which will damage houses and destroy flesh. People often times are out in the wind swept rain not realizing that that somebody's lawn chair may hit them with incredible and killing force.

Its also personally significant to me because I have loved ones right in the path of this storm. These relatives could easily be injured or killed depending on what happens. Hurricanes are not fun things for canoes and skiing. While its a humorous story for my friends who were in in Agnes, they were very very scared canoeing on the Susquehanna river in a hurricane, and for them, they had no idea what was going on.
This is so true. I used to live in Miami and the number one killer in hurricanes is debris. People go out in to the hurricane thinking it's no big deal, they want to be in it, play in it, check on something, drive around and look...and the debris is what kills them. It doesn't have to be an entire side of a building that hits them, it can be something as little as a bbq grill, a chair, a mirror that was ripped off of a car, a piece of wood.

Flooding is no good, the wind and rain hurt but debris is what does the most killing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 02:38 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,895,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Why would I want to do that? My parents, before they died, used to have a house on the beach in North Carolina. The wife and kids and I stayed there through a couple of tropical storms and they were very very scary.

People who live near water in the path of a major storm need to leave. This is very very dangerous to life and limb. Its not just the rain. The wind drives more than rain. Pieces of junk get picked up and hurled forward at a speed which will damage houses and destroy flesh. People often times are out in the wind swept rain not realizing that that somebody's lawn chair may hit them with incredible and killing force.

Its also personally significant to me because I have loved ones right in the path of this storm. These relatives could easily be injured or killed depending on what happens. Hurricanes are not fun things for canoes and skiing. While its a humorous story for my friends who were in in Agnes, they were very very scared canoeing on the Susquehanna river in a hurricane, and for them, they had no idea what was going on.
I'll probably regret asking this question, but how could you be in a hurricane and not know you were in a hurricane? Even if you didn't hear the forecasts, I would think it would be obvious upon arrival....except for the calm of the eye passing over. I know what happens or can happen during a hurricane. When you were talking about your friends canoeing during Agnes, seemed like you thought it was an adventurous thing to do...something you would like to try. I have friends in the path of the storm also....Maryland.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,198,331 times
Exclamation Sandy Storm October 2012 MAINE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Hurricane Sandy is headed our way. Even if it is not still a hurricane when it arrives, this very large storm will hit Maine on Tuesday. It will be bigger than "the perfect storm" of 1992. This is a very dangerous storm and we will have flooding and damage.

Use this time to prepare wisely.

Thanks for the thread NMLM

I hope, pray that all of our Dear Maine Forum Friends, are safe, dry!

Wishing you all the very best!!!

Good luck with it all!

My thoughts & prayers are with you all

Please keep us all posted if you are ok!

Take good care,

Blessings,

COUNTRY

Last edited by countrylv22; 10-29-2012 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: ((HUGS)) Peace, Blessings Best of wishes to ALL!! Prayers going your way!:):):)

Old 10-29-2012, 10:19 PM

3,925 posts, read 4,129,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I'll probably regret asking this question, but how could you be in a hurricane and not know you were in a hurricane? Even if you didn't hear the forecasts, I would think it would be obvious upon arrival....except for the calm of the eye passing over. I know what happens or can happen during a hurricane. When you were talking about your friends canoeing during Agnes, seemed like you thought it was an adventurous thing to do...something you would like to try. I have friends in the path of the storm also....Maryland.
They left for a canoe trip and were out of any range of anything. This was before cell phones. The trip was a two week trip. When they left there was no sign of a hurricane. I asked them why they didn't have a radio and they said they did but the batteries died about 9 days into the trip. Additionally, Agnes was a very very early hurricane, taking place in June, 1972. Just like Sandy is almost unheard of having a storm this strong in almost November, no one at the time could imagine a hurricane this early. Agnes was also an unusual Storm. Wind damage was not as great, and the storm didn't go over them for an eye. Just like this storm has wind that is spread over a very wide area, that one has massive rain that spread over a very wide area. The hurricane didn't go over them like you are thinking. It just started raining, then raining more, and then pouring, and then UN-believable rain. And it just kept up for days. The high water mark on the Susquehanna river has never come up that high ever since with any storm.

I was being facetious about being in a hurricane. I suppose I should have used some "smile", like or or .

Old 10-29-2012, 10:39 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,198,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I'm more concerned about coastal regions, but from the last windspeed report I heard, I believe Maine has had worse Nor'easters in terms of windspeeds (or at least matching). The coastal areas of course will have beach erosion and tidal swells to be concerned about. I wouldn't want to be living in a flood zone.

But as far as preparation goes, I guess I just keep a well-stocked supply of everything year-round. I didn't see much more than usual amount of patrons in the grocery stores yesterday and today. Maybe it's because it's a rain event and not a snow one.
You folks on the coast of Maine apparently don't have much to worry about. According to reports tonight she will "backdoor" you and up into Canada. At least what is left of her.

I live 11 miles from the Cape Cod Canal and it's all over here. Had wicked rain and wind all day but not as bad as the poor people in NJ and NY and points further south. Never even lost my power. TG.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:41 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
we still have power- thats a good thing....
its windy, with some gusts, but thank god - it could have been worse,,,,,with all the potential wind,
let's hope tuesday it doesnt intensify somehow, I saw the sattelite photo of this storm, and never seen such a large one-

Old 10-30-2012, 05:28 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,669,361 times
School is on around here except a few towns. Some roads are closed, some power outages, but not bad.

Hope everyone here weathered the storm as well as we did!

Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
good to hear it lawmom,,,my son is in portland-

we were fortunate around here,,,coulda been much worse

Old 10-30-2012, 06:37 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
You folks on the coast of Maine apparently don't have much to worry about. According to reports tonight she will "backdoor" you and up into Canada. At least what is left of her.

I live 11 miles from the Cape Cod Canal and it's all over here. Had wicked rain and wind all day but not as bad as the poor people in NJ and NY and points further south. Never even lost my power. TG.
People lost power and the governer declared a state of emergency.

I'm not on the coast - I'm inland (fortunately). The wind blew here but that's about it.

Admittedly, someday there's going to be a powerful storm system that blows Maine off the map and I'm not going to believe it it will be as bad as it's typically hyped up to be.

Sad, I know. So be it. I'll maintain provisions for any situation like I always do.

Old 10-30-2012, 06:40 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,168,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is so true. I used to live in Miami and the number one killer in hurricanes is debris. People go out in to the hurricane thinking it's no big deal, they want to be in it, play in it, check on something, drive around and look...and the debris is what kills them. It doesn't have to be an entire side of a building that hits them, it can be something as little as a bbq grill, a chair, a mirror that was ripped off of a car, a piece of wood.

Flooding is no good, the wind and rain hurt but debris is what does the most killing.
That's why I put up with snow. At least my house doesn't get blown down every 5 years or so, and I don't have to worry about debris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine