U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 07:56 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,296,487 times

Advertisements

Take a look at the river levels. Some of our rivers are running at 40 times higher flows than normal for October. The brooks will be in good shape for spawning trout.

USGS Current Conditions for USGS 01031500 Piscataquis River near Dover-Foxcroft, Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 08:04 PM

346 posts, read 658,434 times
Internet is back as well as full power in the neighborhood.

I was the ONLY house in the neighborhood with power (generator), and only lost power during fill ups and when I fed power to the neighbors refrigerator.

Still have a half tank of gas as well as a 5 gallon container left.
Many lessons learned here, .. the "zombies" are actually the mopes from down the other side of the street who want to "borrow" your gas cans so they can fill up their car.

I recovered said property without a shot fired.

I did hear some folks down the block talking about helping themselves to my generator.
They never got the chance.

80% of New Jersey is WITHOUT gasoline.

The mopes ran wild:
Robberies, sex crimes, looting and home invasions.

More tomorrow, but the Hudson River was chest high in downtown Jersey City.
The World Trade Center (PATH Trains) are still flooded with about 12 feet of water in spots.

Time to catch up on the news and past facebook posts. I'll update tomorrow.

CS

Old 11-02-2012, 06:04 AM

Took a few photos at the World Trade Center last night, not sure how they came out in total darkness.
I'll upload in a little while.

Grid lock this morning, gas stations out of gas and people won't leave.
News reports people dumpster diving for food.
Fights in the street over people who cut the gas line, cars abandoned in the street.

Channel 7 reports people have waited in gas lines for 6 hours so far.

Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM

Sorry to post my local stories in the Maine forum, just sharing our little "zombie apocalypse" with everyone.

60 people just arrested locally, 24 charged with burglary/theft related charges.

More intell to share, but I'm not allowed to share with the public.

Sorry.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:43 AM

We send cadaver dogs to places like Haiti, but a rescue crew from Georgia was turned away because they were non-union.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:22 AM

Sorry for the poor quality: Photos taken 4 days later with continuous pumping. Water in the station was above the platform, up to the roof in the tunnels.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1351876736

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1351876756

http://www.city-data.com/forum/attac...1&d=1351876773
Attached Thumbnails
Sandy-sam_1908small.jpg   Sandy-sam_1909small.jpg   Sandy-sam_1914small.jpg  

Old 11-02-2012, 01:51 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
We send cadaver dogs to places like Haiti, but a rescue crew from Georgia was turned away because they were non-union.

Not quite.

" The Huntsville Utilities spokesman also points out that you can't just show up and dive into working on power lines at random, because not every system is the same: "You don't just go up there and say, 'Hey, we're here. We're going to start putting up poles for you.'" (This obviously makes you wonder if some people have been turned away from working to restore power in affected areas, not because they weren't union members but because they showed up thinking it shouldn't matter if they knew the local system configurations or if they'd shown up in a place where more workers were even needed.)"

"...But despite a lack of evidence that any qualified workers were turned away from helping, and denials that this happened from representatives of the union, two of the utility companies named in the rumors, and all sorts of representatives of New Jersey utility companies, this rumor will likely become an article of faith in anti-union circles."

Go figure.

Daily Kos Labor at Daily Kos

Old 11-02-2012, 04:23 PM

Fox news is running it. They quote Alabama utilities. Most of the USA runs on standard codes. We have 110 to 120 volts at 60 cycle. A crew from out of town can have a local utility guy with local prints on the scene. During the Ice Storm of 98 we had people out of power for up to 3 weeks. Sure, it was inconvenient, but we kept doing what we normally do for the most part. We didn't turn any out of state crews away. We were happy to have them.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:00 AM

3,637 posts, read 5,264,507 times
Quote:
Fox news is running it. They quote Alabama utilities. Most of the USA runs on standard codes. We have 110 to 120 volts at 60 cycle. A crew from out of town can have a local utility guy with local prints on the scene. During the Ice Storm of 98 we had people out of power for up to 3 weeks. Sure, it was inconvenient, but we kept doing what we normally do for the most part. We didn't turn any out of state crews away. We were happy to have them.

Well that explains it. Consider the source.

Alabama utilities deny rumor non-union crews turned away in N.J. - UPI.com

At any rate, as usual, Mainers are smart enough not to bite the hand that helps them, so I'm not surprised in the slightest that we were happy to have them.

We're kinda smaht like that - a-yuh.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:16 AM

17,161 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
I remember we had assistance from other states-
I wished I took pics of the signs for the lineman, along the road at the time "free beer for lineman fixin lines"

btw, I picked up one of your biz cards at a fine restaurant yesterday...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine