Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 01:17 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times

Advertisements

This is going to sound like a really dumb question but remember, I'm new to Maine still:

I had an assignment in Old Town today. On my way out, on Stillwater Ave, there was a field, a very grassy field.

In this field I saw 5, FIVE beautiful deer! They were just eating the grass, happy and content. I could see them from the road easily, and I slowed down to gawk. I couldn't believe it! I've NEVER seen that many deer just hanging out, munching on lunch.

So, the question is:

Do I get really excited and know that I just saw 5 wild deer having a grand ol' time

OR

Is there a deer farm in Old Town on Stillwater Ave?

Yes, it was still cool to see them but to think they were wild, not "owned" would be that much more thrilling for me. (Hey, you all grew up here, you're used to this, I'm not!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 01:24 PM

164 posts, read 351,692 times
Get used to it...isn't it nice...around our house, we stop the car, they look at us (smile a little) and continue to walk across the street...they are in no hurry and neither are we...ahhhh Maine

Old 10-24-2012, 02:46 PM

6,612 posts, read 13,452,326 times
Across from Dunkin' Donuts, before the shopping strip? They are wild. There are roan deer there, too. I used to live there. We saw them nightly while walking the bike path.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:48 PM

1,594 posts, read 4,075,238 times
Just be careful that they stay in the field and your car stays on the road. There are more than 4,000 deer-car collisions a year in Maine, and according to State Farm Insurance there is a 1 in 247 chance that you'll be in a car-deer collision each year. A deer did more than $3,000 in damage to my wife's minivan a few years ago when it jumped into the road in front of her on I-95.

Of course, moose are worse. There are more than 500 moose-car collisions each year and an average of three deaths a year.

So be careful out there!

Old 10-24-2012, 02:49 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,851,069 times
No deer farms that I've heard of. Wife and I have seen as many as 14 in our back yard in down here. They are cute, beautiful, what-have-you, until they eat all you beet greens, beans, and other various vegetables or stave up your vehicle because they want to get to the other side of the road. Then they start to change in your eyes. Personally I just get PO'd at them. But I still take company out the road to see them when they aren't in the yard.

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM

19,957 posts, read 29,996,781 times
its getting cold at night, so the deer are feeding all they can to fatten up for the lean months, ive been seeing alot lately too..

Old 10-24-2012, 05:27 PM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigglesjs View Post
Get used to it...isn't it nice...around our house, we stop the car, they look at us (smile a little) and continue to walk across the street...they are in no hurry and neither are we...ahhhh Maine
I started to feel bad for the driver behind me but not bad enough that I didn't stare for a few more seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Across from Dunkin' Donuts, before the shopping strip? They are wild. There are roan deer there, too. I used to live there. We saw them nightly while walking the bike path.
I think it was past the Dunkin' Donuts. I stopped to get some lunch on the way back and I think it was after the golden arches. If you are leaving Old Town to go back to the freeway, the grassy field was on the left.

Edit: No, I think it was before lunch. It was in that area so it's probably right where you said.

Man, I have GOT to start bringing my camera with me when I do these assignments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Just be careful that they stay in the field and your car stays on the road. There are more than 4,000 deer-car collisions a year in Maine, and according to State Farm Insurance there is a 1 in 247 chance that you'll be in a car-deer collision each year. A deer did more than $3,000 in damage to my wife's minivan a few years ago when it jumped into the road in front of her on I-95.

Of course, moose are worse. There are more than 500 moose-car collisions each year and an average of three deaths a year.

So be careful out there!
Yah. I'm petrified of some moose jumping out in front of me as I'm toolin' down the freeway. Everyone has their own theory of what you are supposed to do if that happens but I think it doesn't matter what I do, I'm pretty much done for.

When I have to drive in the early hours in the morning, especially if it's still dark, I am constantly looking at the sides of the roads, "Please, moose, stay where you are! Just stay the hell on the side of the dang road! Better yet, just stay in the dang trees. There is nothing that interesting on the other side. Ask the chicken."

If I find a semi, I'll sit behind them figuring it's going to be the best buffer I have against moose/car chaos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
No deer farms that I've heard of. Wife and I have seen as many as 14 in our back yard in down here. They are cute, beautiful, what-have-you, until they eat all you beet greens, beans, and other various vegetables or stave up your vehicle because they want to get to the other side of the road. Then they start to change in your eyes. Personally I just get PO'd at them. But I still take company out the road to see them when they aren't in the yard.
So those strings or whatever don't work? What is, "stave"? They ram in to your car with their antlers or hooves? They climb over your car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
its getting cold at night, so the deer are feeding all they can to fatten up for the lean months, ive been seeing alot lately too..
Cool! I have to go to Bar Harbor on Friday, I'm taking my camera this time. And hoping that NONE of them, (Deer? Are you listening?), jump out in front of me.

So, I saw five wild deer today! At the same time! I cannot even possibly begin to express how much glee I have right now.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:57 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,553,788 times
I have had to make a low pass down the runway at the Old Town Airport to chase deer off the runway. Deer/airplane collisions are worse than deer/car collisions.

Old 10-24-2012, 09:19 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,373,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
So those strings or whatever don't work? What is, "stave"? They ram in to your car with their antlers or hooves? They climb over your car?
I've always heard people say it in Maine but nowhere else. Like, "I just stove up my car in the snowbank".

Urban Dictionary: stave

Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,373,006 times
My folks used to tell me of their evening drives some years ago where they'd see herds of them in central Maine. It all depended on the year and weather.

Personally, as a motorcyclist, in Maine or California, I call them horned rats. Sorry, but they are not so pretty when buzzing down the road on two wheels and they just appear like a cartoon character out of nowhere. Darn horned rats!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine