U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:51 AM

357 posts, read 848,811 times

Advertisements

that sound wonderful. America is a big country a lot to see on road trip, i better plan to do that soon, getting harder to sit/drive car for long period of time, and i don't think it would get easier for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 09:59 AM

163 posts, read 248,427 times
Maineah, my cousin did almost the same trip as you, location and duration. Same observations and response. Said that all through the Dakotas and Montana did not see one young person with a tatoo or metal hanging off their face. Very friendly and helpful folks in those sparsely populated areas.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:38 PM

471 posts, read 601,370 times
Very cool trip, Maineah.
We took a long road trip through some of the same area years ago and loved it. I loved visiting Mt Rushmore and having "Breakfast with the Presidents". (breakfast in that large dining area that overlooks the monument!).
At that time, the dining area was almost unchanged from when that great scene in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" was filmed there with Cary Grant.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM

8,760 posts, read 16,110,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 221B View Post
Very cool trip, Maineah.
We took a long road trip through some of the same area years ago and loved it. I loved visiting Mt Rushmore and having "Breakfast with the Presidents". (breakfast in that large dining area that overlooks the monument!).
At that time, the dining area was almost unchanged from when that great scene in Hitchcock's "North by Northwest" was filmed there with Cary Grant.
The large dining room is still there, don't know about breakfast though! We had lunch there but we ate outside as it was such a gorgeous day.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc-not View Post
Maineah, my cousin did almost the same trip as you, location and duration. Same observations and response. Said that all through the Dakotas and Montana did not see one young person with a tatoo or metal hanging off their face. Very friendly and helpful folks in those sparsely populated areas.
Nope not a lot of ink or metal on the kids out west! They're not afraid to work at a McDonalds or Burger King either. Its amazing how sparsley populated some of that area is. We had tailgate picnics almost daily and just pulled over to the side of the secondary roads. Sometimes we'd finish eating before we saw another vevicle. Nice country!

Old 10-31-2012, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
Maineah, when I think about where & how I would like to go if I could, it's pretty much what you describe. I'm glad you & your wife had good travels, and especially that you found friendly people along the way. It is good to get away, but I'm guessing that you were glad to return home to Maine, too. Seeing this amazing country is awesome, returning to Maine - awesomer!
That was one thing we said on the way home. Every place we saw was unique but no place made us want to pack up and leave Maine. Maine really does have it all and we came to appreciate what we have here.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Nice trip. We like road trips but we haven't had the time or money for a while. Last one I went on was on my bike, was gone for more than a month...would have liked to have kept going for a few more months too...maybe indefinitely.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM

13,031 posts, read 7,199,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
That was one thing we said on the way home. Every place we saw was unique but no place made us want to pack up and leave Maine. Maine really does have it all and we came to appreciate what we have here.
I know what you mean Maineah. I can't wait to be back in Maine this winter. Lets hope there's some snow this time.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:46 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
I was lucky enough to take a road trip like yours. I found the heart of America in small towns in every state. I had vehicle problems twice, and I was helped in ways unimaginable in large cities. That is a trip you will never forget! I took my trip in 1976, the bicentennial year. There was a National Park Bicentennial Pass that I bought, and saw most all the national parks west of the Mississippi.

Wyoming and Montana are a lot like Maine.....the western states are great....but I will take the Ocean over them! Glad you had fun Maineah!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or