U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:40 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,529,369 times

Advertisements

How would you make a living there? There are logging camps, and a few tourist camps. But that's about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 09:56 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,498,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
We prefer it this way.
You sound like my kind of guy. I like your sense of humor.

Quote:
No jobs.
This is one of those "which came first - the chicken or the egg?" questions. People may not go to where there are no jobs, but jobs won't pop up in areas where there are no people unless by some miracle a huge deposit of natural resources happens to be discovered in the area. Absent that, people living in an area are what drive the demand for services, which will cause jobs to become available.

Quote:
Oh, yes, man-eating animals. squirrels with big teeth that can rip your head off clean at your shoulders. They are smart buggers, with big teeth. The chipmunks are bad too. Big teeth!

Obviously facetious to an extent, but let's face it... the question is legitimate. In the sparsely populated wilderness of Alaska, there are bears... which is surely one deterrent to an influx of people. I'm not nuts about being in an area with lots of dangerous creatures which have no moral compass. ("I shouldn't eat this man! It's not right!") I don't mind a harsh, cold climate anywhere near as much as I'd mind having to fear for my life due to marauding wolves or bears or whatever. Right now, I want to get out of where I live because I have to live in fear every day of my life on account of the crime perpetrated by people who have no moral compass. I see little distinction between crimes perpetrated by people with no moral compass, and misfortune bestowed upon people at the hands of animals / bugs / whatever with no moral compass.

Quote:
Thats it, we have four seasons. That keeps folks away.
Probably not, but do they stay away from the harsh winters? (Up in North Dakota, the locals say that their crazy winter weather keeps the riffraff out. Amusingly enough, it really does seem like people who are likely to be riffraff generally avoid harsh winter climates. Population maps bear this out.)

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,498,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
How would you make a living there? There are logging camps, and a few tourist camps. But that's about it.
I'd be looking to be self-sufficient and have a farm if I lived in that remote of an area. Any other income I'd have would be sporadic and would require a lot of travel. If I had to worry about making a living any other way, I wouldn't be able to make it in a remote area.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:58 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
You sound like my kind of guy. I like your sense of humor.
Oh, baby, blow in my ear and, ...

Quote:
... This is one of those "which came first - the chicken or the egg?" questions. People may not go to where there are no jobs, but jobs won't pop up in areas where there are no people unless by some miracle a huge deposit of natural resources happens to be discovered in the area. Absent that, people living in an area are what drive the demand for services, which will cause jobs to become available.
True.

Either bring a job with you, find a job here before you move, or else come here with a pension.

My wife did the first while I did the last.

Quote:
... Obviously facetious to an extent, but let's face it... the question is legitimate. ...
On my land I have seen: turkey, deer, beaver, moose and bear. Standing on my land, looking up I have seen eagles and hawks [plus the usual assortment of small birds]. I saw the last bear about a month ago.

Quote:
... Probably not, but do they stay away from the harsh winters? (Up in North Dakota, the locals say that their crazy winter weather keeps the riffraff out. Amusingly enough, it really does seem like people who are likely to be riffraff generally avoid harsh winter climates. Population maps bear this out.)
Yes, Southern states have more homeless people in winter, Northern states have less homeless people in winter.

Another feature to consider is Municipal Services.

Long ago urbanites wanted three things from their government. Bread, circuses and gladiators.

Today urbanites are more 'cultured'. Today they want to be served:
Metro bus service;
an assortment city parks;
art exhibits;
town parades;
free cultural events;
music festivals;
curbside garbage pickup;
fresh pavement on their roads;
reliable electric power 24/7/365;
sanitized and amended city water;
municipal treated sewage processed and ready for the city down stream;
47 hundred channels to watch on cable;
'free' medical care for everyone;
and they want all of this bundled into monthly tax bills.

There are other folks who would rather burn their town charter than to pay the tax needed to support all that.

Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,539,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
I'd be looking to be self-sufficient and have a farm if I lived in that remote of an area. Any other income I'd have would be sporadic and would require a lot of travel. If I had to worry about making a living any other way, I wouldn't be able to make it in a remote area.
You are beginning to sound like a local.

A man tips fir trees on my land every year. After the first hard frost [2 weeks ago] until about our second or third snow fall. It is a seasonal job. His wife and children make wreaths to support themselves through winter, until fiddleheads in the spring.

Others plow snow; some tap maples, ...

Old 10-30-2012, 03:41 AM

109 posts, read 160,822 times
First of all, Piscatiquis and Aroostook counties are NOT in Northwest Maine!

Secondly, if most/all the land is OWNED by someone or a Company that wishes not to sell it's land, there can be no development or population change. People can not just 'squat' on land belonging to someone else!

If you need further answers to your questions, may I suggest you spend a day or a week walking across/through this land you have interest in . . . say, sometime around May first!??
Or maybe August first!??
Deer flies, Moose flies, Mosquito's, Black flies, no-see-ums (whitesox), Bald-face Hornets, Yellow Jackets, will greet you and eat you!
If you think Maine doesn't get HOT, think again!

What you can't see-read from a computer screen is actually knowing from living here.

p.s. but you can take a map & compass course on-line!

Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 AM

109 posts, read 160,822 times
Quote:

Today urbanites are more 'cultured'. Today they want to be served:
Metro bus service;
an assortment city parks;
art exhibits;
town parades;
free cultural events;
music festivals;
curbside garbage pickup;
fresh pavement on their roads;
reliable electric power 24/7/365;
sanitized and amended city water;
municipal treated sewage processed and ready for the city down stream;
47 hundred channels to watch on cable;
'free' medical care for everyone;
and they want all of this bundled into monthly tax bills.

There are other folks who would rather burn their town charter than to pay the tax needed to support all that.

I need nor want anything on that list! I'd like to see the Maine Turnpike as a DIRT ROAD!
I have my own well and septic, make my own power, grow/kill most of what we eat, pay my bills with money I earned - not "mailbox money" the Government stole from someone else.
Let the folks who want that crap pay for it!!!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,435,885 times
I disagree with the poster that claims the photos of the clearcuts were taken in Siberia. I have a friend that traveled throught that area about 20 years ago and he saw them with his own eyes. He never left Maine to do that. I'm sure much of it has partially grown back now.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:00 PM

16,457 posts, read 21,487,909 times
The unorganized areas of northern Maine are quite special really. It more resembles what you might find in rural Alaska than the Eastern lower 48. Miles and miles of wild forest as far as you can see, and next to no people. Large portions of those lands are former paper company lands. The current owners largely still follow the tradition of allowing public access (but not all, some buy it up with the goal of a national park and they aren't friendly to hunters and trappers). There are privately owned smaller parcels scattered about so yes it is possible to live there and some people do. I imagine if you dangled enough money to the owners of the bigger parcels they might split some off, or sell you the whole thousands of acre pieces they own, but truthfully, land values are so low up there it's not very profitable to sell the land. Then there's LURC which controls any development of the area. There's no practical way of making an ordinary living up there. If you can be self-reliant and survive off limited income from something like maple sugaring or trapping, you could do it. Even with a pension, you'd still have to be pretty self-reliant to live in the more isolated areas there.

Just as most of the land up there is privately owned, so too are the roads. Don't go up there with a low ground clearance vehicle, and yes, you will have to pay to use some of the roads. I've never thought to ask anyone what people who actually live there do so can't answer that. Some roads are roads in name only too, as a warning. Bring a GPS and a good map if you go up there, you can drive for days and get nowhere if you don't know the roads. And lots and lots of 100 percent deet if you go during black fly season. There's a reason places like "Misery Gore" got their name, the bugs can be overwhelming. The black bears are not like the grizzlies in Alaska.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM

16,457 posts, read 21,487,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I disagree with the poster that claims the photos of the clearcuts were taken in Siberia. I have a friend that traveled throught that area about 20 years ago and he saw them with his own eyes. He never left Maine to do that. I'm sure much of it has partially grown back now.
They did overdo it with the clearcutting, but the same thing done in Northeastern Vermont by Champion is why Vermont's moose population recovered so rapidly after nearly 150 years of being scarce. Some species like recently cleared land, and the forest does regenerate quickly in the Northeast. From my reading and my own observation, Maine's anti-clearcutting laws have brought the state to the other extreme, and now species that like that early stage of forest growth are facing trouble. There needs to be a blend of different successional stages, young, mature, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or