U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-01-2012, 05:16 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,432,647 times
Reputation: 3974

Advertisements

I wish the auto excise tax was $15. Submariner that is set by individual towns. We pay way more in Bangor.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 11-01-2012 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Central Maine
1,472 posts, read 2,611,685 times
Reputation: 1276
This about says it all: Website still ranks Maine among worst for making a living — State — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM
 
357 posts, read 849,003 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Less people means higher taxes per person.
agreed.

less people mean less competitive price to maintenance or improve your house hold need. not an issue if you can or able to do it your self or have money.

been told it is cost more here because they have to pay higher expense, taxes and items needed and do not have work year round like states in the south.

we need more young and able people in Maine, more older people(retire) here now who does not want charity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:55 AM
 
Location: 3.5 sq mile island ant nest next to Canada
3,015 posts, read 4,873,000 times
Reputation: 2127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I wish the auto excise tax was $15. Submariner that is set by individual towns. We pay way more in Bangor.

Excise tax mill rate bottoms out at 0.004 after it's 6 years old and is based on the MSRP of the vehicle when new. To pay a $15 excise tax the vehicle you own must cost about $3,800 new ("66 Ford LTD?). I was looking at a "57 Ford F-100 that would have cost me about $7.00 plus the $30 agent fee. It can be done but you're not going to be driving a new or new-ish car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,730 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Reputation: 17582
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Excise tax mill rate bottoms out at 0.004 after it's 6 years old and is based on the MSRP of the vehicle when new. To pay a $15 excise tax the vehicle you own must cost about $3,800 new ("66 Ford LTD?). I was looking at a "57 Ford F-100 that would have cost me about $7.00 plus the $30 agent fee. It can be done but you're not going to be driving a new or new-ish car.
I had a 80's Buick when I moved here, and I still have a '57 Willy; that was/is how much I get charged for them. My '95 Ford pickup is charged $32.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Cooper Maine
533 posts, read 587,225 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcberry View Post
health insurance is more expensive in Maine
Same thing. Less people higher per person cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
1,472 posts, read 2,611,685 times
Reputation: 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Same thing. Less people higher per person cost.
Well, not quite that simple. 20 young people have lower health care cost than 20 old people. Maine is the oldest state in the nation, so has very high health care costs per person (average). Those costs are reflected in insurance premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:47 AM
 
178 posts, read 459,120 times
Reputation: 98
Along with taxes and insurance being high, and property taxes and housing being relatively low. I think that the people are some times referring to what the cost of living is to invest in Winter items that are expensive...for example someone moving here from a state with little snow...may think you could get by with one shovel. The list is long and plenty of what you need, and what you need to spend money on....many of Mainers already have these items, and will last them year after year, and some things will wear out and need to be replaced annually. Besides shovels many people in Maine may own a snowblower, a generator, ice scrapers, gloves/expensive warm jackets/winter wear (even snowshoes/skiesother gear) boots, showpants etc, winter tires, a roof rack, extension cords, an ax, + many tools, a shed or garage to keep them all in--with given weather... I could really go on and on...and all of that can add up quite a bit compared to other states that all you need is a little bug spray and to borough a neighbors shovel 4 times a year! It also comes down to a lot of hours of your time to do these things. Removing the snow in your driveway is a task that has 3 choices-shoveling it yourself, using a snowblower, or using a plow (you own one, or you hire some one). All 3 take time, your time, or time to work to pay someone else to do it.

Also there can be lot of expenses in house/barn/shed repair, roof/shingles may not last as long and have leaking, vehicles some times rust out faster with the climate esp the underside and mufflers etc, if sand and salt is used on the roads also, and if they live near salty bodies of water too. There are normally trees town with each Winter, and that could mean owning a chainsaw, or hiring someone to cut the remainder of the tree-off your lawn/car/house..or just off of your driveway. (however I found it easy to get fire permits in Maine compared to other states! Fweeh!) Water tables can be high in areas for many months and that can cause constant sub-pump activity (electricity). Heating cost are high, especially in older less insulated houses or homes with leaky windows.

Yes, there are many who chop and own and burn their own wood. Many people who I have spoken to myself (from out of the area) do not realize how much WORK goes into chopping, cutting, splitting and seasoning their own wood. Then you still have to stack it and bring in what you will use that day. You don't just cut down a tree and magically throw a log into the fire! Depending on the type of wood, some have to dry and season for a whole year or more and most of that has to be stored or covered somewhere, even after you get it. My folks have half of their garage lined with shelves to stack the wood in, then they bring in several split logs and kindling each day to pile and warm by the fire-cold wood won't catch as fast as room temp wood.

Also the commutes in Maine can be long, esp if someone lives in a rural area, and has many miles to get to work. Pay scale in Maine is not high for average jobs. This equates to more gas money and cost of mileage on your car. There are very few places with public transportation, subways etc to get to work. Few people can walk to work.

This is also what keep 'others' away. You have to be hardy and some what self sufficient and strong to live in Maine. And that is what I love about it! I swear, living in PA for the past few years, people think I am super women down here, just because I can mow a lawn, change a tire, and carry a spider out of the house! That's just how I was born and raised! A lot of living in Maine, is just long and slow and steady work. It is work to live there, but that is just a part of life there! And where many find peace and solitude as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-11-2012, 08:54 PM
 
Location: Somewhere in deep in Maine
3,484 posts, read 2,537,584 times
Reputation: 4216
Compared to where? My car insurance was so cheap that I didn't have to pay for 6 months when I arrived. Taxes on a house and property twice as big as where I came from are the same. Food is actually cheaper. Income tax and sales tax is less, though I do wish they didn't tax my pension, since they would not have where I came from. Even trash pick up is 1/4 of where I came from. Had to have the floats that run the pump for my septic system fixed; cost for the service was just $85, would have been about $200 where I came from. House insurance for a house bigger is the same. My health insurance is ..... From Away.

Speaking of from away.....Yesterday, I drove into Bar Harbor for the Annual Pajama Day bed races. A team "from Away" won. They were..... from..... Bangor, which is about 45 minutes away from Bar Harbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 AM
 
17,165 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Reputation: 31274
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernNE View Post
Along with taxes and insurance being high, and property taxes and housing being relatively low. I think that the people are some times referring to what the cost of living is to invest in Winter items that are expensive...for example someone moving here from a state with little snow...may think you could get by with one shovel. The list is long and plenty of what you need, and what you need to spend money on....many of Mainers already have these items, and will last them year after year, and some things will wear out and need to be replaced annually. Besides shovels many people in Maine may own a snowblower, a generator, ice scrapers, gloves/expensive warm jackets/winter wear (even snowshoes/skiesother gear) boots, showpants etc, winter tires, a roof rack, extension cords, an ax, + many tools, a shed or garage to keep them all in--with given weather... I could really go on and on...and all of that can add up quite a bit compared to other states that all you need is a little bug spray and to borough a neighbors shovel 4 times a year! It also comes down to a lot of hours of your time to do these things. Removing the snow in your driveway is a task that has 3 choices-shoveling it yourself, using a snowblower, or using a plow (you own one, or you hire some one). All 3 take time, your time, or time to work to pay someone else to do it.

Also there can be lot of expenses in house/barn/shed repair, roof/shingles may not last as long and have leaking, vehicles some times rust out faster with the climate esp the underside and mufflers etc, if sand and salt is used on the roads also, and if they live near salty bodies of water too. There are normally trees town with each Winter, and that could mean owning a chainsaw, or hiring someone to cut the remainder of the tree-off your lawn/car/house..or just off of your driveway. (however I found it easy to get fire permits in Maine compared to other states! Fweeh!) Water tables can be high in areas for many months and that can cause constant sub-pump activity (electricity). Heating cost are high, especially in older less insulated houses or homes with leaky windows.

Yes, there are many who chop and own and burn their own wood. Many people who I have spoken to myself (from out of the area) do not realize how much WORK goes into chopping, cutting, splitting and seasoning their own wood. Then you still have to stack it and bring in what you will use that day. You don't just cut down a tree and magically throw a log into the fire! Depending on the type of wood, some have to dry and season for a whole year or more and most of that has to be stored or covered somewhere, even after you get it. My folks have half of their garage lined with shelves to stack the wood in, then they bring in several split logs and kindling each day to pile and warm by the fire-cold wood won't catch as fast as room temp wood.

Also the commutes in Maine can be long, esp if someone lives in a rural area, and has many miles to get to work. Pay scale in Maine is not high for average jobs. This equates to more gas money and cost of mileage on your car. There are very few places with public transportation, subways etc to get to work. Few people can walk to work.

This is also what keep 'others' away. You have to be hardy and some what self sufficient and strong to live in Maine. And that is what I love about it! I swear, living in PA for the past few years, people think I am super women down here, just because I can mow a lawn, change a tire, and carry a spider out of the house! That's just how I was born and raised! A lot of living in Maine, is just long and slow and steady work. It is work to live there, but that is just a part of life there! And where many find peace and solitude as well.
not everyone burns wood, chops wood etc

i've been burning these compressed blocks or bricks,,,,they burn good and are clean
no splitting or stacking

most everything else you say is all relative..... there are pros and cons of all regions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top