U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:16 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,856,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not everyone burns wood, chops wood etc

i've been burning these compressed blocks or bricks,,,,they burn good and are clean
no splitting or stacking

most everything else you say is all relative..... there are pros and cons of all regions.
CD just won't let me rep you; I would if I could. All this cost, cheaper, more expensive discussion continues to be a matter of perspective. I think it has a lot to do with amount of income, moving to Maine after saving up for a life time, moving to Maine after selling a house out of state and having a nice little nest egg, whether or not someone is trying to make it on less than $10 an hour. I am reminded of CD data on Washington County family income info $20,000 a year. I think it was $40,000 in Hancock County, and about $80,000 in Cape Elizabeth (not surprising). If a person actually has health insurance, I guess he/she should be thankful except for the 20% (example) that the insurance company expects the insured to pay. I know someone who actually canceled their health insurance because she couldn't afford her % on an upcoming surgery.

My dad worked a full-time job, built his own house, planted and harvested a garden every year, cut, split, and stacked his own firewood, and did all the repair work on his car and around the house.

ha ha ha ha--not....btw, someone from Bangor is not considered from away unless they moved there from outah state....slyfox2, for example....moved to Ellsworth from Pennsylvania, right? Philadelphia area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not everyone burns wood, chops wood etc

i've been burning these compressed blocks or bricks,,,,they burn good and are clean
no splitting or stacking

most everything else you say is all relative..... there are pros and cons of all regions.
Really? Compared to a cord of mostly oak, how do they burn? I think they have some at my local EBS and I'd like to try some to see how they last and burn.

What do you think?

Old 11-13-2012, 03:41 AM

3,095 posts, read 5,424,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
Really? Compared to a cord of mostly oak, how do they burn? I think they have some at my local EBS and I'd like to try some to see how they last and burn.

What do you think?

I haven't had them last a real long time, but they do get going fast and well. I like to get the fire at camp, started with the smart logs, and then feed in the regular wood.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:45 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
It is all relative, isn't it?

We live in the Portland area (Falmouth). We moved here a few years ago after having lived in Bangor, ME. and Belfast, ME, and the Berkshires (Western MA), and Las Cruces, NM. The cheapest place by far was NM. (BTW, I grew up in South Portland, ME.)

When you look at salary and housing costs, the Portland area is relatively expensive. Compared to Boston or NYC, not as much. But, the wages here are not great in general.

Just drove up the coast to our house in Northport (near Camden.) Got gas for $3.54 as opposed to $3.78 round here.

We pay $2495 for rent right now for a 3200 sq foot house with an inground pool in Falmouth. We paid $3000/mo(heat included) for 4000 sq foot duplex in the west end of Portland, (and coincidentally , $1600/mo for a nice house in NM, when DH made about $100,000 more than here.)

Can you tell that Las Cruces was a better deal for us? YES.

As much as I love my home state and the area I grew up in, I am not convinced that the average wage can sustain average housing, at least in the Portland area.
Good point. I think it varys vastly depending on one's situation.

If you are a parent (or couple with children) who works in a lower wage job(s), your situation will vary widely from, say, a pensioner with grown children and some sort of savings or other avenue of income (such as rental income, or a part-time job).

It (IMHO) depends entirely on a person's financial situation. I work with an older woman (68) who has chosen to take a full-time overnight shift (it pays more in shift differential) because her husband's medical bills are astronomical at this point. She thinks she'll not be able to retire for some years yet (if ever). She commutes from Bangor to Dover Foxcroft, and it's a pretty typical day to pull over in Corinth to take a nap in the morning so as not to fall asleep on the drive home. Her house is now paid for, so at least she doesn't have a mortgage to pay.

My DD has a good friend whose father is poised to possibly lose his job at Garelick Farms, and his number one "panic" is about replacing his $16 an hour job with a $10 one. Her mother works a minimum wage job as well, and if he loses his job, they'll be in real trouble financially. They rent a mobile home lot, but their mobile home is falling apart. They drive older vehicles, and have zip for savings because of repairs on the vehicles and home. They're doing the best they can with what they have.

Personally, I think a retiree is better of here in Maine.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:54 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,263,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Whoa! Is this a typo? That's a pretty huge pay cut! (Unless he makes close to a million dollars or something)
We don't even make that in a year, and we live in expensive So Cal!
I work with a traveling RN whose husband took a little more than that amount of a cut when he went from being a professor in a Maryland college to a high school science teacher (which was pretty much all that was available at the time in their area).

Now he stays at home raising their 3 children, and she travels all over the state to pay the bills. She tends to stay with other coworkers while she's working in the area, and keeps the housing allowance to send home. They found it worked out better for them now. They bought property in an unorganized territory up north, so their taxes and cost of living are relatively low.

Old 12-31-2012, 01:16 PM

5 posts, read 6,947 times
We are relocating from central NY state and find that most items are cheaper here even in the Portland area. Our car insurance decrease by $150/6 months for better coverage (i.e. lower deductible, more coverage, etc.) and the excise tax didn't even eat all that amount. Taxes in general even when added up are less in Maine as compared to NY state...

Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroo24 View Post
We are relocating from central NY state and find that most items are cheaper here even in the Portland area. Our car insurance decrease by $150/6 months for better coverage (i.e. lower deductible, more coverage, etc.) and the excise tax didn't even eat all that amount. Taxes in general even when added up are less in Maine as compared to NY state...
That was what we experienced when we moved to Maine, as compared to places we had owned homes before [California, Washington, Connecticut].

Old 12-31-2012, 05:36 PM

58 posts, read 74,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Why do I keep hearing that Maine is an "expensive" state to live in? It has a 5% sales tax, cheapest only next to New Hampshire and the property taxes are cheaper than the rest of New England from what I see. I don' know what the income tax is like but I can't imagine it is that bad. Are there other taxes and fees I am not seeing?
I hear you. I was in NY for too long and saw a tax agenda that was breath taking. 18,000.+ each year for property and school plus taxes on everything short of air.

Couldnt be happier to be away from that hole

Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 PM

333 posts, read 226,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

our food costs seem to be lower than NH.
The cheapest and best grocery store in New England is Market Basket. There is no Market Basket in Maine. There's one in Portsmouth, NH. Shaws is considerably more expensive than Market Basket.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:58 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
The cheapest and best grocery store in New England is Market Basket. There is no Market Basket in Maine. There's one in Portsmouth, NH. Shaws is considerably more expensive than Market Basket.
there are plans for a market basket in biddeford

"cheapest and best" dont always go together and much is opinion when it comes to grocery stores.

somebody must be shopping at shaws -they are still around.
rumor had it, kroger was looking at shaw's a while back, but that rumor has shifted to kroger looking at hannaford. Hannaford has made alot of management changes, and restructuring recently....my Del-Haize (parent company of Hannaford in Belgium) stocks have taken a beating lately
Shaw's is owned by supervalue, which stocks have plummeted worse than hannafod

I'll agree market basket has a good philosophy- lower margins for higher volume- hannaford use to have that image (edlp, every day lower price) til walmart came to maine with groceries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine