U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 06:25 AM

52,622 posts, read 75,451,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaroo24 View Post
We are relocating from central NY state and find that most items are cheaper here even in the Portland area. Our car insurance decrease by $150/6 months for better coverage (i.e. lower deductible, more coverage, etc.) and the excise tax didn't even eat all that amount. Taxes in general even when added up are less in Maine as compared to NY state...
Where in Central NY was this, as overall COL is lower in much of the Syracuse area versus Portland? Taxes are just one aspect of COL and housing costs make up a big, if not the biggest, portion of COL. For instance, I did a comparison of Cicero to South Portland and Cicero was 8% cheaper due to housing costs. Cicero was or is one of the fastest growing towns in the area too. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Town of Cicero, New York Ľ

I understand that circumstances and factors can vary though.

Also, NY State varies in terms of COL, as Upstate NY is on par with many Southern and Midwestern areas, in many cases.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2013 at 06:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 07:53 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,521 times
I'm visiting my daughter in Colorado and paying $2.89 per gallon of gas. A couple other states on my way over here were even cheaper. So, when combined with the high price of heating oil, liberal big government taxes at every level, limited competition, and cold weather, Maine is VERY expensive to live in. Comparing it to other northeastern states with the same mindsets, or with huge cities (ditto) is just fooling oneself.

Old 01-01-2013, 07:58 AM

10,110 posts, read 499,213 times
There aren't many states that are as expensive to live in than NY. It all depends what you compare it to, everything is relative! Only a New Yorker would know that!

Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
The cheapest and best grocery store in New England is Market Basket. There is no Market Basket in Maine. There's one in Portsmouth, NH. Shaws is considerably more expensive than Market Basket.
Some IGA's are fairly low priced.

Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,182 times
Well, this is a great thread. I think whether you believe Maine is expensive or not depends on what part of the country you are from. Personally, I consider the Maine tax burden, considering income for most of the state (not southern Maine) to be somewhat oppressive. I am beginning to believe that the reason people think of Maine as a poor state is because many of the residents are made poor by the taxation.

I also know that if you live in any kind of town, city, or other organized government in Maine your costs are going to be much higher. At issue is the small number of residents in most towns. To provide all the services people want for such small numbers takes a lot of cash. A $2M budget for a small city would equate to about $2K of municipal taxes per year. That doesn't include all the other taxes that people pay in Maine. That is just a fact arrived at by simple division. That is the same for the rest of small town America. Taxes are usually higher in smaller towns.

I have found that just about every item except auto and home owners insurance is much higher in Maine. Electricity is triple the cost of many areas. I personally don't object to the excise taxes are they are used to keep the towns infrastructure going. You money is spent inside the town. Excise taxes are a bit steep though - but it's necessary. Fuel and gasoline are higher in Maine than in many states.

The one issue that is a bit personal to me is the state income tax. All my income is taxed as it is from pensions. A 10K exemption is an improvement, and I have to thank the present governor for that. He says he will try eventually to make all pensions exempt from state tax.

If you are a retiree, you should consider very carefully before you move to Maine. I wondered why I saw so many out of state auto tags for months in our town. I found out that the owners maintain their official residence in another state. In our town two notable business owners maintain residence outside of Maine. After paying the tax myself, I understand completely. I think Maine is penny wise and pound foolish on this issue. It would be better to lower the rate on pensions, therefore getting more unofficial residents to become official residents. The number of people who would move their official residence would increase a great deal. As long as the income tax is at the present rates, Maine is losing more money than it is gaining. More of their disposable income (at least 180 days worth) would be spent in Maine rather than in another state. If you multiply this income by the number of "summer people" you would come up with a considerable sum. That sum would have to create more jobs for the people of Maine. The money would be spent in every type of retail and service merchant.

Of course the really rich retirees would not be affected, as I am certain they have methods to hide their income, no matter where they are located.

Just musings....

Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
The one issue that is a bit personal to me is the state income tax. All my income is taxed as it is from pensions. A 10K exemption is an improvement, and I have to thank the present governor for that. He says he will try eventually to make all pensions exempt from state tax.

If you are a retiree, you should consider very carefully before you move to Maine. I wondered why I saw so many out of state auto tags for months in our town. I found out that the owners maintain their official residence in another state. In our town two notable business owners maintain residence outside of Maine. After paying the tax myself, I understand completely. I think Maine is penny wise and pound foolish on this issue. It would be better to lower the rate on pensions, therefore getting more unofficial residents to become official residents. The number of people who would move their official residence would increase a great deal. As long as the income tax is at the present rates, Maine is losing more money than it is gaining. More of their disposable income (at least 180 days worth) would be spent in Maine rather than in another state. If you multiply this income by the number of "summer people" you would come up with a
I'm retired also, and the tax on my pension is a big reason why I'm considering moving. Where my daugther lives, the exemption is $20,000-24,000. Maine is improving, but not competitive with many states with no income tax or fully exempted retirement pension tax. Maine is an old state, and quickly becoming a state full of poor old people, with those that are self-sufficient moving elsewhere. Our young people can't find jobs here (yeah, that's why my daughter lives in Colorado), and everyone left that IS working, or HAS money, is taxed to oblivion. Maine is going the way our country is going. Only difference is that Maine can't print money to hide the bankruptcy.

Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Some IGA's are fairly low priced.
I've grown to really like the Bells IGA. Very good prices on most things.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:24 AM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
I've grown to really like the Bells IGA. Very good prices on most things.
Yes they tend to have good pricing.

Old 01-01-2013, 11:27 AM

776 posts, read 1,032,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last1Standing View Post
The cheapest and best grocery store in New England is Market Basket. There is no Market Basket in Maine. There's one in Portsmouth, NH. Shaws is considerably more expensive than Market Basket.
Shaw's is considerably more expensive than most any grocery store!

I love me some Market Basket. It's one of the few things I miss about NH.

BTW, Biddeford is going to be home to Maine's first Market Basket. I'm crossing my fingers that they'll make their way north and open more stores here in Maine.

Old 01-01-2013, 12:19 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
There's a presumption or assumption that people who move to Maine from outah state "have money." They may not think they "have money" but compared to most of the locals, they "have money" otherwise they wouldn't be able to afford to pay the high--maybe even ridiculous--prices for houses. Then we can go back to the perspective thing. Locals can't afford many of the houses in Maine even though the "from aways" may think they're getting a great deal compared to NY or somewhere else they came from. Someone said only someone from NY would know how expensive it is to live in NY. There's plenty of info on the web. I've never lived in NY nor do I plan to do so; the sales tax alone not to mention property taxes would be a deterrent for me....that's just a beginning of the list of deterrents. The AuSable Forks and Lake Placid areas are beautiful, but the people I knew who lived there couldn't wait to move to FL.

Think about the cost of delivery (diesel fuel isn't cheap) to grocery stores in all the nooks and crannies of Maine. I'm surprised that the prices in grocery stores aren't higher. High prices at Shaw's? A significant number must like shopping there; otherwise, the stores would close. I consider $300 or more a month (on the yearly budget plan) to heat a house with fuel oil expensive. That's why most people I know use wood or pellets as their primary heat source and their fuel oil furnace as a back up.

I have a retired friend who for many years lived in FL the required number of days per year to be a resident for financial reasons. He lived in Maine the rest of the year. Eventually he forgot about FL and now lives in Maine year round.

All this negative talk about Maine....all the reasons why people love Maine and want to make the move are reasons why Maine has so many economic issues including lack of jobs for young people--can't have it both ways. The reason why auto insurance is lower is because of a smaller population and fewer cars on the road. Maine has never been known for its abundance of high paying jobs. Seems to me the same issues facing Maine now are nothing new; only thing that's changed in the last 100 years prices/cost of living have increased and people can talk about all of it now on the Internet. To everyone thinking about moving to Maine--Do your homework BEFORE you move. Don't move and then start complaining about Maine....no whining...

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-01-2013 at 12:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine