U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:23 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
007, do you go to Tahoe at all?

I lived in the SF Bay Area for 20 something years and while there were many things I bitched about, Tahoe wasn't one of them.

So friggin' beautiful up there. It's one of those places that takes your breath away the first time you see it.
Yes, I go to Tahoe quite often. It's 99 miles or 99 minutes from my door. I have a cousin that owns a condo on Ski Run Blvd in south shore. He gave me a key. I used to ski a lot. Now I don't. I can get to fisherman's wharf in San Fran in 99 miles or 99 minutes too.

I deliver and work in Silicon Valley several times a week and also the north bay, east bay and central valley.

As far as Maine being an expensive state? It sure costs me a lot to visit all that way these days. It's 3215 miles from here. Planes, trains or cages take their toll on my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM

908 posts, read 869,796 times
Maine has lower food costs than my native area of NY. Weirds me out, honestly.

Maine isn't that expensive; utilities are more and that's about it.

What it comes down to is jobs and wages. That's why it is "so expensive".

Old 01-18-2013, 07:45 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_atw View Post
Maine has lower food costs than my native area of NY. Weirds me out, honestly.

Maine isn't that expensive; utilities are more and that's about it.

What it comes down to is jobs and wages. That's why it is "so expensive".
I think you're right about jobs and wages. If a person is trying to live on $10 an hour, everything seems more expensive....especially if their fuel oil bill alone is $300 or $400 a month year round on the budget plan....time to get a wood stove or a pellet stove and use fuel oil as a back up. Maine has never been the land of big salaries--for most anyway.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:51 AM

29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I think you're right about jobs and wages. If a person is trying to live on $10 an hour, everything seems more expensive....especially if their fuel oil bill alone is $300 or $400 a month year round on the budget plan....time to get a wood stove or a pellet stove and use fuel oil as a back up. Maine has never been the land of big salaries--for most anyway.
$400/month for heating fuel would be horrible. If anyone was paying that much for heat, I could see where it would be an expensive place to live.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:46 AM

225 posts, read 261,366 times
I've been here for 2 years; I lived in NH for 40 years. It's only 2 hours away (to where I lived), but this is a whole new situation for me. The hardest thing for me to adjust to is coming from a state that had no sales tax and no bottle fee, to Maine.

Maine not only charges you tax on anything, they charge you a deposit fee PER bottle for beverage. For instance, if you buy a case of coke, you have to pay a nickel extra PER bottle. You have to return the bottles in order to get your money back. It's just a big bother to me.

I wish Dairy Queen and Dunkin' Donuts would deliver to me (especially late at night), but that's my common complaint everywhere I go :-)

Anyone from Biddeford?

Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 AM

229 posts, read 258,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
$400/month for heating fuel would be horrible. If anyone was paying that much for heat, I could see where it would be an expensive place to live.
I'm paying that for a relatively small first floor apartment in Brunswick. $3.80 a gallon causes the total to rise quickly in our old and poorly insulated Maine buildings.

We've probably used 275 gallons so far this winter and I keep the heat at 60.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:18 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
I've been here for 2 years; I lived in NH for 40 years. It's only 2 hours away (to where I lived), but this is a whole new situation for me. The hardest thing for me to adjust to is coming from a state that had no sales tax and no bottle fee, to Maine.

Maine not only charges you tax on anything, they charge you a deposit fee PER bottle for beverage. For instance, if you buy a case of coke, you have to pay a nickel extra PER bottle. You have to return the bottles in order to get your money back. It's just a big bother to me.

I wish Dairy Queen and Dunkin' Donuts would deliver to me (especially late at night), but that's my common complaint everywhere I go :-)

Anyone from Biddeford?
30-35 years ago, I use to frequent biddeford dairy queen- 75 cents for a peanut buster parfait....
we also went to a movie theater near "five points" intersection

Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,033,513 times

Know what was a bother to me? The roadside litter in NH. Maine isn't perfect, but there's a noticeable difference...Next time you visit NH, look closely at the sides of the road, especially after the snow melts. It's disgusting.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:30 AM

17,164 posts, read 22,182,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post

Know what was a bother to me? The roadside litter in NH. Maine isn't perfect, but there's a noticeable difference...Next time you visit NH, look closely at the sides of the road, especially after the snow melts. It's disgusting.
good point radio....

Old 01-20-2013, 01:38 PM

29,724 posts, read 47,507,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX-Bound View Post
I'm paying that for a relatively small first floor apartment in Brunswick. $3.80 a gallon causes the total to rise quickly in our old and poorly insulated Maine buildings.

We've probably used 275 gallons so far this winter and I keep the heat at 60.
If your paying that much for heat, you may want to look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine