U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:21 PM

468 posts, read 611,855 times

Advertisements

Not to pile on Derp, but I have to agree on the roadside litter. Coming from MA, I'm used to the bottle law, but (get ready for this)....I think it should be raised to 10 or even 15 cents a bottle. It's been 5 cents forever and I think it's so low I'm starting to notice the bottles on the road sides in MA, NH, ME, though I haven't been to NH all that much lately, I admit. (At least MA should raise the deposit. They can afford it!) From what I see, however, it's the non-soda bottle stuff that is really appearing roadside such as sandwich clam shells, but especially bottled water bottles and Dunkin Donuts hot and cold beverage containers along with those from Cumberland Farms, Irving, and so on. What's so hard about keeping your trash inside your car until you get somewhere with a trash can? I think Maine is a little better in terms of this than MA, but not much better. The County seems to be the cleanest of all, though I cannot say for sure whether it's because people here don't litter or the population density is so low that the junk simply doesn't pile up, but I think it's more of the former - much to the natives' credit .

I will say back when I lived in Fort Pierce, Florida in the late 1980s, I ran a fast food restaurant there and I noticed my patrons out in the parking lot were *far* cleaner than when I ran the same type of restaurant in MA. In MA, we had to pick up the parking lot several times a day, but not so in St. Lucie County, Florida. 'Not sure how that comparison would go these days, however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 06:25 PM

776 posts, read 1,033,976 times
I wonder what goes through someone's head when they litter. How do they rationalize it?

Is it laziness? Is it apathy? Is it arrogance? I just don't get it.

My husband used to be on a softball team. I liked all of his team mates. But one day, I saw one of the guys open a pack of cigarettes. He let the plastic tab thingie
blow away in the wind. He lost a couple of points with me. I know it seems minor, but I think it says so much about a person.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:27 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,525,551 times
Since we are already off track, I'll say that I hate litter. I pick it up whenever we go for walks or whenever we're just out and about. My wife has grown to tolerate this little need of mine, but still shakes her head. I, too, wonder what would make someone so lazy or ignorant as to litter.
I hate taxes almost as much as litter. That said, I talked to all of the members of the Legislature's Natural Resource Committee and Taxation Committee a couple of years ago, suggesting a new tax. From my years of picking up litter, I can say that at least 75% of it boils down to empty cigarette packs, scratch lottery tickets, and disposable food/beverage containers. So I suggested a one cent per item tax on all of those things, dedicated to go to an anti-litter fund. Make the litterers pay for the clean up, I figure.
Some of the legislators were interested, but nothing ever came of it. I think it's a big problem and something should/could be done about it.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:40 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,434,525 times
I just don't "get it" for those that claim they have to pay $300 to $400 a month on a year round basis to heat a home. Either they are very poorly insulated and huge or they keep it at 75 to 80 degrees. Also I don't get it when people complain about cost of electricity. We have NEVER paid a monthly bill over $40, and that would be for the 3 coldest months. The rest of the year it runs about $25. I do have a propane gas dryer but my stove is electric. What in the world is eating up their electricty. Perhaps you could try shutting off lights when not in the room.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:56 AM

229 posts, read 259,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I just don't "get it" for those that claim they have to pay $300 to $400 a month on a year round basis to heat a home. Either they are very poorly insulated and huge or they keep it at 75 to 80 degrees. Also I don't get it when people complain about cost of electricity. We have NEVER paid a monthly bill over $40, and that would be for the 3 coldest months. The rest of the year it runs about $25. I do have a propane gas dryer but my stove is electric. What in the world is eating up their electricty. Perhaps you could try shutting off lights when not in the room.
It's definitely not a year round basis, but certainly during the winter months. I'd imagine it will probably cost about $1000 for the winter and then maybe another $200-$250 for the colder parts of the spring and fall which makes it around $1,200-$1,250 a year. A decent size house will easily cost twice this much. Keep in mind this is heating oil, which is the most expensive way to heat a home. Unfortunately here in Maine, not many places outside of Portland have natural gas and the costs are only exasperated by old and poorly insulated buildings.

"Heat included" are the two best words when considering a rental in Maine. I decided to go with the better location and lower rent in lieu of having utilities included.

Old 01-21-2013, 09:41 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
I was looking at the 'degree-day' estimates for Maine. Would this be a fair monthly break-down of heating costs?

half of November - $150
December - $300
January - $400
February - $400
March - $300
half of April - $150
-----------------------
$1700 /season.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:27 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp-D-Derp View Post
I've been here for 2 years; I lived in NH for 40 years. It's only 2 hours away (to where I lived), but this is a whole new situation for me. The hardest thing for me to adjust to is coming from a state that had no sales tax and no bottle fee, to Maine.

Maine not only charges you tax on anything, they charge you a deposit fee PER bottle for beverage. For instance, if you buy a case of coke, you have to pay a nickel extra PER bottle. You have to return the bottles in order to get your money back. It's just a big bother to me.

I wish Dairy Queen and Dunkin' Donuts would deliver to me (especially late at night), but that's my common complaint everywhere I go :-)

Anyone from Biddeford?
There's more than one way to look at this. I agree returning bottles and cans can be an inconvenience. We expedite returning them by counting them as we put them in plastic bags and write the total number with permanent marker on the bag. It's a real pain if the top comes open and they all fall out. This works if you know your recycle people rather than taking them to a grocery store and feeding them into a machine. If everyone would recycle without the bottle fee, then one wouldn't be needed. As children, we loved picking up bottles on the side of the road and taking them to the store to get money for popsicles and ice cream. I've seen people who may have been homeless picking up discarded bottles and putting them in a grocery cart. If you don't want to be bothered with them, give them to charity.

Even if NH has no sales tax, they must have found other taxes to get money from people.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:32 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,857,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I don't "get it" either but it's true. I wish I knew. Consider yourself very fortunate.

Old 01-21-2013, 05:41 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,123,742 times
I wish I could get an utility bill from Bangor Hydro for $25. When we are living there full time, we use only 650 kw per month, and still the bill is $100. We have closed the house for a couple of months, and the only utilities we are using are the furnace blower, and Fridge. The bill was $55 last month. I think there must be a regressive cost applied somewhere in the bill. The less you use, the more you pay per KWH. If I used the KWH I used in my old home, my Hydro bill would be over $300 per month.

Dawn, consider yourself extremely fortunate! Don't let them touch your meter, I suspect your meter is out of calibration. My water meter was at my old home. When they changed it out, the bill almost doubled. Let that sleeping dog lie!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,893,780 times
As far as liter, I believe I know the answer to at least half of it. Pickup trucks with open beds. When they get on the highway, they get this swirling 75 mph wind that will easily expel any cigarette buts, empty packs, small papers and light empty containers. I always wonder if they ever wonder where all the debris is gone and why their truck is so clean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine