Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 AM

742 posts, read 1,224,879 times

Advertisements

It is an expensive state if you take two factors - automotive costs and heating costs..

All the salt on the roads halves the life of most cars, in some cases thirds it. On top of that you have the cost of wipers and fluid, snow tires it adds up, oh and did i mention the higher car insurance? . Sure gas is cheaper (a little) but its a small reprieve.

next comes heating- i dont think i need to say anything more.

For those of you blessed with super insulated houses with heat pumps, woodlots, alien death rays and hair burning stoves, bless you, but you aren't the norm.

On top of which let's say you want to update your house, yo are easily spending 10k-20k insulating and updating your heating system if you aren't a pro or know anyone with skills.

Combine that with the abysmal pay rates in maine, and I am amazed we aren't classified as a third world nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 05:34 PM

37,320 posts, read 61,139,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
It is an expensive state if you take two factors - automotive costs and heating costs..

All the salt on the roads halves the life of most cars, in some cases thirds it. On top of that you have the cost of wipers and fluid, snow tires it adds up, oh and did i mention the higher car insurance?
Our automobile insurance dropped when we moved here.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:49 AM

Oh well i entirely retract my statement.... Actually I don't.

It all depends on what state you come from. I came from a state with lower minimum coverage requirements.

Coming here I was told my minimums had to almost double.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 AM

37,320 posts, read 61,139,028 times
Quote:
Oh well i entirely retract my statement.... Actually I don't.

It all depends on what state you come from. I came from a state with lower minimum coverage requirements.

Coming here I was told my minimums had to almost double.
That could be. I have no idea what our minimum coverage is or was.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:42 AM

20 posts, read 85,881 times
Quote:

All the salt on the roads halves the life of most cars, in some cases thirds it. On top of that you have the cost of wipers and fluid, snow tires it adds up, oh and did i mention the higher car insurance? . Sure gas is cheaper (a little) but its a small reprieve.

next comes heating- i dont think i need to say anything more.

For those of you blessed with super insulated houses with heat pumps, woodlots, alien death rays and hair burning stoves, bless you, but you aren't the norm.

On top of which let's say you want to update your house, yo are easily spending 10k-20k insulating and updating your heating system if you aren't a pro or know anyone with skills.

Combine that with the abysmal pay rates in maine, and I am amazed we aren't classified as a third world nation.
I have a 20 year old vehicle..still running, still inspected. Check out your local classifieds..early 90's cars are all over the place. I LOL'd at wipers and fluid.. general maintenance and neither are even remotely expensive to replace. Snow tires? I've lived my whole life in Maine and never used them. Mostly driven 4cyl cars my whole life. Insurance isn't expensive if you aren't a bad driver. My rate is absurdly cheap on both my vehicles.

Oil hurts, but that's the same in every cold weather area. Keep it low and layer up rather than adjust the thermostat.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 AM

boozy, your own personal experience is not a contradiction to my statement.

Whether you personally agree with it or not, compared to many states Maine does have higher rates, while not bank breaking, it is an INCREASE.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:49 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,085,805 times
Quote:
boozy, your own personal experience is not a contradiction to my statement.

Whether you personally agree with it or not, compared to many states Maine does have higher rates, while not bank breaking, it is an INCREASE.
Higher compared to where? According to this article, Maine isn't even in the top 15 states for auto insurance costs. In fact, according to this article, Maine has the second-lowest car insurance rates in the nation, after Idaho.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:05 AM

But it has HIGHER coverage requirements. Maybe the rate is cheaper for each coverage, but you are required to have more of those particular coverages.....

Old 02-02-2013, 09:26 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,085,805 times
Quote:
But it has HIGHER coverage requirements. Maybe the rate is cheaper for each coverage, but you are required to have more of those particular coverages.....
Again, nice try, but wrong. The stats are coverage for each state based on that state's requirements.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:15 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,964,563 times
I personally believe in higher coverage limits. Underinsured drivers who cause an accident are hurting the other drivers. This spoken from a retired insurance agent. Rates are lower and coverages higher in Maine, just as they should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine