U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM

3 posts, read 4,787 times

Advertisements

THANK YOU EVERYONE !!! I really appreciate the info and perspective. I feel better about the ladies moving. Mabey I'll come too. They called yesterday evening and were raving about the area. Said they would spend all day in Eastport today. It already sounds like a place I would love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Only thing to think about when considering retiring to this area is access to quality medical care. I'm thinking that Calais is probably the closest hospital, and a couple friends of mine that live there don't have a lot good to say about it. If it were me, I'd be looking at something closer to Bangor/Belfast/Elsworth.

I've been to Calais a few times, from cuts, gouges, and a couple more critical (or so the wife thought at the time) incidents. I've not had a problem with them and neither have quite a lot of my friends and neighbors who have used them. I think they do an excellent job. Good crew from doctors on down and good equipment and even life flight if you need Bangor in a hurry. They even have the machine that goes "ping" (Python fans will get it.). I wouldn't base my opinion on a few people. However there are more hospital and doctor choices in Bangor. Even more in Portland.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Subscribe to The Quoddy Tides. Many local contractors advertise there. Keep asking questions. There are plenty of Eastport people on here will to share their experiences.
I find that the town office staff to be a great source for referrals in small towns. These people usually have lived in town for a long time and know everyone in town. I've gotten great referrals for people to snowplow, plumbers and carpenters.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM

533 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Perceptual thing, taxes. Eastport: 3.5 sq miles of land and bldgs assets, tax rate $24/$1,000. Lubec: 33.3 sq miles of assets, tax rate $19.50/$1,000. What was the towns budget in Lubec? I think ours was $2.6 million.

Both places are good and taxes are high in both depending on your income. Still, a lower tax rate than Calais. But they are quite low compared to Mendicino Cal., Boston, Dallas/Ft. Worth. At least that is what folks from these places tell me.
Easy in Eastport the town owns the waterfront and will not sell to private folks who pay taxes.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Easy in Eastport the town owns the waterfront and will not sell to private folks who pay taxes.
As far as I know around 90% of the waterfront here is in private ownership. And it's all on the tax rolls. Eastport owns very little including the Port Authority. Don't know where you got the idea it was city owned.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:01 PM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
While in Eastport, don't miss the Chowder and Diesel place near the ferry landing. They actually sell both chowder and Diesel fuel. They serve great seafood. I was there last month. There are many such emporiums in Maine like one bait shop and real estate business or the famous gun shop and bridal dress business on Route 1A between Brewer and Ellsworth. Yes, they sell shotguns with white stocks.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
While in Eastport, don't miss the Chowder and Diesel place near the ferry landing. They actually sell both chowder and Diesel fuel. They serve great seafood. I was there last month. There are many such emporiums in Maine like one bait shop and real estate business or the famous gun shop and bridal dress business on Route 1A between Brewer and Ellsworth. Yes, they sell shotguns with white stocks.
THe Chowder House (I still call it The Cannery) is closed for the season now. It is a great place to eat. We go almost every Sunday after church with family and friends. The food and service (waitresse are great) add immensly to the meal. You can buy lobster, clams, and fish on the wharf too. Fresh off the boat. The guy that owns this place just re-opened the Wa-Co. He did a great job on the renovations. Last owners damng near destroyed it.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:10 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
Glad to hear the WaCo has reopened. Will it be open all winter?

Old 11-04-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Glad to hear the WaCo has reopened. Will it be open all winter?
Yes, 6 am to 2 pm now but I believe he's staying open longer now that the Cannery is closed for the season.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:29 PM

533 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
As far as I know around 90% of the waterfront here is in private ownership. And it's all on the tax rolls. Eastport owns very little including the Port Authority. Don't know where you got the idea it was city owned.
Go to the town office and ask for a list of ALL the property the town of Eastport owns. Then ask why there mill rate is double to triple the surrounding areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine