U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:14 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
Read his post Eastport has the highest tax rate around. And when I retired one thing I took into account was that cost thus why we bought the place out here plus I wanted more land to hunt and play on. My house and land in Eastport would make my taxes quadruple at the least. This is relevant to me. Do not get me wrong I love Eastport I go here at least once a week for Greek food!
Calais and Machias are higher than Eastport. ANd quadruple is a bit much on your taxes. Maybe about $200 depending on what your values are. It's frustrating when folks exaggerate 2 million times over. But ain't that Greek food good? Had the eggs Benny?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 04:50 PM

533 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
They have already decided to retire to Eastport. Your post was the first one to mention taxes in a thread about moving to Eastport. Every real estate listing discloses the property taxes, so they will find out before they buy. If you wanted to hunt on your land, you needed to be outside city limits anyway, so you already had your incentive to move. Your post definitely sounded negative about Eastport when you said: "Easy in Eastport the town owns the waterfront and will not sell to private folks who pay taxes."
If you didn't intend it to sound negative, that's OK by me. Leaving the waterfront aside, I don't think the city has very many properties that have been taken on tax liens. Occasionally there are 2 or 3 that are offered for sale, but cities don't wat to own lots and houses.
Just throwing in my 2 cents. Every who lives around here knows Eastport has the highest taxes and I though it was important to mention. As for shooting in "city limits" I am unsure of Eastport but the majority of Maine town do not have any such ordnance. The reason I both here was for the hunting and because I am both a gun and NFA collector and living here I do not have to worry about people close to me. Also low taxes. I meant nothing bad. High taxes are a negative IMHO. I know several folks who have been forced to move form Eastport and Lubec due to the taxes one friend in Lubec lost ( had to sell ) the farm that had been in his family for well over 100 years due to taxes on the land.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:42 PM

4,861 posts, read 3,519,770 times
How in the world can a town as small as Eastport have a $2.8 million dollar budget? That doesn't seem to make any sense. What do they spend it on??

Old 11-05-2012, 07:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
How in the world can a town as small as Eastport have a $2.8 million dollar budget? That doesn't seem to make any sense. What do they spend it on??
If like most towns, education costs. Our town it takes the average property takes almost 20 years to pay for one kids education.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 PM

533 posts, read 587,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Calais and Machias are higher than Eastport. ANd quadruple is a bit much on your taxes. Maybe about $200 depending on what your values are. It's frustrating when folks exaggerate 2 million times over. But ain't that Greek food good? Had the eggs Benny?
I LOVE the Greek food well worth the trip.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:26 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Same thing a other towns spend it on; police, fire, ambulance, public works, salt, sand, two schools ad infinitum. We do these and more. These are the services the taxpayers want and pay for. If you think ours is big, go check Caribou. I don't have access to it here. Lubec 's is $2.6. Maybe this is one reason why the ladies chose Eastport to live. Don't know.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:10 PM

3 posts, read 4,787 times
Thanks for all of the good information...especially the tax stuff. That has been very much a factor in choosing Eastport. Everything is relative. My sis and I loved our too short visit to Eastport and area (Lubec) (Calais) and hope to be back soon!

Susan (Mother of mimosamth)

Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 PM

5,232 posts, read 13,556,847 times
So excited your family will be moving to Eastport! I've spent YEARS hoping I could one day move there. Hubby was forced to retire six years ago for medical reasons and now has a terminal illness. We planned on moving there earlier this year but the snow / winter worries him. And right now what he wants is what's important. So my dreams of Eastport are on the back burner once again. I loved that tiny island now for over ten years. I live vicariously through others on this forum that live there and visit there and spent hours every week watching videos and photos on line. Some day I'll make it there. It's such a wonderful little island. Those that live there are truly blessed.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:02 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosamth View Post
My Mom and Aunt, both in their 60's are considering retiring to Eastport. They actually are there, right now, checking it out. Since I will not be relocating with them, one of my concerns is local services, contractors etc., that would be available year round. I am concerned about winters being too hard and/or the ladies not being able to find help/service ( like shoveling snow). I have noticed that Eastport is mentioned as a bit of a retirement community with an artistic side up and coming, but my mother and aunt would be there year round, and therefore subjected to the winter chores. Anyone with comments, please respond. THANKS
When it comes to contractors and help in general, remember: if you want to get a job done, give it to someone who's busy.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 979 times
[quote=mimosamth;26776380]My Mom and Aunt, both in their 60's are considering retiring to Eastport. They actually are there, right now, checking it out. Since I will not be relocating with them, one of my concerns is local services, contractors etc., that would be available year round. I am concerned about winters being too hard and/or the ladies not being able to find help/service ( like shoveling snow). I have noticed that Eastport is mentioned as a bit of a retirement community with an artistic side up and coming, but my mother and aunt would be there year round, and therefore subjected to the winter chores. Anyone with comments, please respond. THANKS

Welcome to Eastport.

It has become a rough winter over last year with the cold temp. and snow. Hope all is well with your Mom and Aunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine