U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM

996 posts, read 838,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
There are parts of Maine that are very different from each other, so it's kind of hard to answer the question. As a whole, Maine gets more and more separated into different "areas" every day.
Is there anything you can tell me about what kind of area Boothbay Harbor is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 03:42 AM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
boothbay harbor is a pretty little town, close to where i grew up
its on the coast, so it has a powerful tourist industry in the summer months,
the people are decent, you have quite the working class of fisherman like any coastal town- winters are quiet- summers are bustling

like most any town in maine- it's what you make of it- I like the coast- usually its a bit warmer in the winter than inland, and cooler in the summer months, I like the salty seabreeze off the water

Old 11-05-2012, 03:54 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,431,463 times
My favorite thing about Boothbay Hbr is the gorgeous Coastal Botanical Gardens. It is open year round, so if you have a day in January that is clear and sunny, check it out.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 AM

996 posts, read 838,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
boothbay harbor is a pretty little town, close to where i grew up
its on the coast, so it has a powerful tourist industry in the summer months,
the people are decent, you have quite the working class of fisherman like any coastal town- winters are quiet- summers are bustling

like most any town in maine- it's what you make of it- I like the coast- usually its a bit warmer in the winter than inland, and cooler in the summer months, I like the salty seabreeze off the water
That sounds perfect! Do the homes ever flood in a storm surge? I saw it has an elevation of ~70' (away from right on the coast), so I assume most homes never flood.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:38 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,383,387 times
Boothbay gets really busy in the summer. Be prepared for traffic and limited parking compared to other times or places.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:40 AM

10,275 posts, read 10,383,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiAj83 View Post
I have a question for the people of Maine. My wife and I are considering moving to Maine, .....
What part of Maine interests you most? There are a lot of different kinds of communities in Maine.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:12 PM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
When I first began making trips to Maine to shop for land, we had five children at home, including a 12 year old daughter. We had returned stateside from living overseas, and only lived in Connecticut a short time. We were shocked at how much influence the TV and pop singers were having on our children. Also the attitude of our school administrators were far too 'progressive' for our tastes. Looking back now the biggest thing that stands out in my memory was how society seemed to be encouraging girls to be hookers and all children to be overly sexual.

One evening after looking at properties all day, I stopped in a small diner for a meal. No more than 8 tables, the place was about half full. When a lady came in with her daughter. The daughter was in a highschool basket ball uniform. Everyone in the diner [minus me] began praising the high school basketball team. I wish I had a video camera. It seemed that they all were genuinely interested in highschool sports, and they were knowledgeable of who the players were. In my travels, I had never seen that kind of spontaneous community support anywhere else.

Then I got to looking. In my brief travels up here female store clerks were comfortable wearing flannel shirts and generally were not flashing their cleavage at me. It was not until after I finished my trip and returned to Ct before I saw any female looking like their warpaint had been applied with a putty knife.

It was something that I was hyper-aware of at the time, and it made a big impression on me about Mainers.

Old 11-05-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
When I first began making trips to Maine to shop for land, we had five children at home, including a 12 year old daughter. We had returned stateside from living overseas, and only lived in Connecticut a short time. We were shocked at how much influence the TV and pop singers were having on our children. Also the attitude of our school administrators were far too 'progressive' for our tastes. Looking back now the biggest thing that stands out in my memory was how society seemed to be encouraging girls to be hookers and all children to be overly sexual.

One evening after looking at properties all day, I stopped in a small diner for a meal. No more than 8 tables, the place was about half full. When a lady came in with her daughter. The daughter was in a highschool basket ball uniform. Everyone in the diner [minus me] began praising the high school basketball team. I wish I had a video camera. It seemed that they all were genuinely interested in highschool sports, and they were knowledgeable of who the players were. In my travels, I had never seen that kind of spontaneous community support anywhere else.

Then I got to looking. In my brief travels up here female store clerks were comfortable wearing flannel shirts and generally were not flashing their cleavage at me. It was not until after I finished my trip and returned to Ct before I saw any female looking like their warpaint had been applied with a putty knife.

It was something that I was hyper-aware of at the time, and it made a big impression on me about Mainers.
The Maine woman are just natural beauties....dont need all that warpaint

Old 11-05-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
That sounds perfect! Do the homes ever flood in a storm surge? I saw it has an elevation of ~70' (away from right on the coast), so I assume most homes never flood.
I think you'd be fine....

this is a beautiful area, look it up on youtube.....nearby towns are south bristol-christmas cove, southport,
and one of the prettiest spots in maine- pemaquid point,,,its a light house you can drive to,,and the ocean is right in front of you,,,,plenty of rocks to have a picnic on and enjoy the crashing waves..

and theres a pemaquid beach also..

Old 11-05-2012, 09:43 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,535,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiAj83 View Post
I have a question for the people of Maine. My wife and I are considering moving to Maine, we are full aware of the taxes (some of Ohio's are higher, no excise tax though.) and our climates are very similar so my main(e) question is; how are the people? I know that sounds general but "in general" the attitudes where we are now are pretty snobby and petty. Everyone is judged by where they go to church, what they have and their surname. We understand that mentality will be anywhere but that's Ohio in general.
So my question is, what matters to the people of Maine, family or money.
Are you planning to retire here, or do you need a job? If you are planning on retiring, are you buying or renting? What kind of needs do you have for community, politics, etc.

We all have our preferences based muchly on where we now live. And though some of us know a lot about a lot of places, others of us just know a lot about the area that we live in. Can you be more specific about what you need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine