U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-11-2012, 04:47 AM
 
Location: Bangor Maine
3,442 posts, read 5,435,168 times
Reputation: 3974

Advertisements

I doubt it will matter if the bonds passed or not LePage will refuse to release the money. But there is now the possibility that there may be a 2/3 majority in the legislature that could over ride that. I'm glad that the University one lost. All they seem to do is give the administrators raises and then raise the kids tuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-11-2012, 05:21 AM
 
17,168 posts, read 22,199,672 times
Reputation: 31299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I doubt it will matter if the bonds passed or not LePage will refuse to release the money. But there is now the possibility that there may be a 2/3 majority in the legislature that could over ride that. I'm glad that the University one lost. All they seem to do is give the administrators raises and then raise the kids tuition.
I'm shocked you wrote this.....makes a lot of sense!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,094 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Reputation: 17220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
If you didn't vote for Romney, then you cast your ballot in favor of Obama (regardless of which other name you checked).
I love this "logic."

My liberal friends all tell me that by voting for a third party candidate, I actually voted for Romney (because I didn't support their guy).

My conservative friends all tell me that by voting for a third party candidate, I actually voted for Obama(because I didn't support their guy).

I actually voted my conscience, but using this "logic" I actually voted for three candidates at once. Yay, democracy!

In fact, I knew Maine would go for Obama. Not only was I right, but Obama swept Maine, so I could have written in "Mr. T," and it wouldn't have made a whiff of difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2012, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
29,738 posts, read 47,532,009 times
Reputation: 17595
When faced with choosing between multiple evils, always ignore the lesser evil.

Vote Cthulhu for office! Why choose the lesser evil?



Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:00 AM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
5,493 posts, read 6,435,052 times
Reputation: 9404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I love this "logic."

My liberal friends all tell me that by voting for a third party candidate, I actually voted for Romney (because I didn't support their guy).

My conservative friends all tell me that by voting for a third party candidate, I actually voted for Obama(because I didn't support their guy).

I actually voted my conscience, but using this "logic" I actually voted for three candidates at once. Yay, democracy!

In fact, I knew Maine would go for Obama. Not only was I right, but Obama swept Maine, so I could have written in "Mr. T," and it wouldn't have made a whiff of difference.
The slur was uncalled for. You'll notice that I did *NOT* say that you "...voted for Obama...", instead I used the phrase "...cast your ballot in favor of...". This was intentional. It is not my logic that has failed, but your comprehension.

The only real competition was between Obama and Romney, the rest served only as distractions. If you did not want Obama to win, then the only useful choice would have been Romney. There is not enough support for alternative party candidates to make them viable choices. I don't particularly care for Romney either, but he is slightly less objectional (to me) than Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Maine
5,969 posts, read 11,140,943 times
Reputation: 5241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The only real competition was between Obama and Romney, the rest served only as distractions. If you did not want Obama to win, then the only useful choice would have been Romney. There is not enough support for alternative party candidates to make them viable choices. I don't particularly care for Romney either, but he is slightly less objectional (to me) than Obama.
I'm not giving my vote to someone or party I don't like. My vote is something that has to be earned. Choosing the lesser of two bad choices is still making a bad choice. I can honestly, confidently say I did not choose to endorse a bad choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 08:08 AM
 
Location: On a Slow-Sinking Granite Rock Up North
3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times
Reputation: 2650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I'm not giving my vote to someone or party I don't like. My vote is something that has to be earned. Choosing the lesser of two bad choices is still making a bad choice. I can honestly, confidently say I did not choose to endorse a bad choice.
I agree. Until the electoral college is abolished in favor of a popular vote format, I'll vote using my conscience. At least I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I went on principle verses voting for someone I disagree with simply because I don't want the other team to win.

Our founding fathers spin in their graves - of this I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2012, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Maine
15,094 posts, read 19,740,991 times
Reputation: 17220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
The slur was uncalled for.
How was my response in any way a slur?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
You'll notice that I did *NOT* say that you "...voted for Obama...", instead I used the phrase "...cast your ballot in favor of...".
Um, yeah. You're right. That's a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top