U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 12:04 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,503,176 times

Advertisements

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 12:20 PM

17,165 posts, read 22,189,403 times
bath has a very nice grocery store called brackett's Market

popham beach is nearby- nice beach - popham is one of the country's oldest settlements/towns

thomas point beach is also nearby, as is reid state park...another sandy beach

as is wiscasset, damariscotta, boothbay harbor, brunswick, topsham, all nearby

bath is adjacent to kennebec river,,,you can easily launch a boat on the public boat launch and be at the mouth of the kennebec river/popham beach in about 15 minutes and be in the ocean/coast of maine

bath is home to BIW- outside of the state of maine, Bath iron works is one of the largest employers of the state-
shipbuilders....

about 20 yrs ago, we use to fish alot in bath for bluefish and stripers, they'd come upriver from the ocean, and they'd fight as well as any fish-great fun we'd have....
bath also has a dairy queen....that would be important to me

Old 11-11-2012, 01:32 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,503,176 times
Me too:-). Sounds like a great area. Can't wait to visit. We have friends that live in Topsham. Drove through when up to visit friends in Harpswell - really cute.

The coast of Maine is one of our favorites. Stunningly beautiful.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

776 posts, read 1,033,746 times
There's a Dairy Queen in Topsham too with a plaque that reads, "LBJ ate here".

One day as we drove by, I asked my 12 year old son if he knew who LBJ was.

His reply: "LeBron James?"

Old 11-11-2012, 09:53 PM

471 posts, read 601,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
My experience is in the Rockland area. I have lived here for twenty years. I owned a home in the south end of Rockland for five years. Walking to restaurants, movies, pubs, cafe, festivals, galleries is nice. The historic downtown & south end neighborhoods are very nice. Note that the mil rate in Rockland is highest for the surrounding area...I loved living in town, and sold my house when my interests led me to more rural, yet still close to stuff, Owls Head.

All of you & your husband's interests would be fulfilled in the Rockland (& surrounding area). There are tons of restaurants & diners, a pub or two or more, art, films, music, woodworking/ fine furniture courses, festivals, awesome lumber yards (& a couple big boxes). We have a great food co-op in Rock, also.

I have been absolutely content here for twenty years. I could probably be content other places in Maine, but this is where I've settled. The "things" you require on occasion that are not right here, you manage to get to when you must.

If you have questions about the Rockland area, I would be glad to answer as best I can. I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce ; I appreciate where I live for many of the same qualities that you & your husband are seeking,
MaureenB is an expert in her knowledge of Rockland and the surrounding area, and her input is always welcome and appreciated. You really need to spend some time in Rockland as it may be a great fit for you based on your "list".

Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM

162 posts, read 334,765 times
We retired almost 10 years ago to Woolwich, across the river from Bath. Bath is a very homey place, with a great downtown and lots of community activities. The high school doesn't have a very good rep, which is probably why the prices are a little lower than some surrounding areas. I also agree with Radio Flyer that the presence of Bath Iron Works probably makes some people discount the value of the real estate.

Don't get too excited about the Irish pub in Bath. It's really just a bar and the food is pretty bad. There is a great coffee shop, though, called Café Crème, and a few good restaurants, like Best Thai, Beale Street Barbecue, the Cabin (pizza) and Solo Bistro. I wish there were more good places to eat, but Brunswick has a lot of good eateries and it's just 10 minutes away.

The Patten Free Library in Bath is excellent and it has its own used bookstore. There is a small new bookstore downtown, a used paperbacks store and an antiquarian/old bookstore.

Brackett's Market is right downtown and carries a lot of Maine and local products. They make a real effort in that direction. The natural market is well stocked and we have a decent farmer's market. There is also a Shaw's supermarket just off Route One.

Some of the other attractions of downtown include Reny's, Maine's own department store chain (my husband always says no man needs to shop anywhere else); Lisa-Marie's Made in Maine; Dot's Ice Cream; a candy store, several clothing stores; and Now You're Cooking, a truly wonderful kitchen store.

We love our vet, Tammy Doughty of the Woodbrook Animal Clinic, who is on our side of the bridge, but would be only about a 15-minute drive from you if you were in Bath. There are quite a few vets in the vicinity. I once asked Tammy what we should do if we ever have an after-hours problem with our dog, and she said to just call and she will come in. That was a relief to hear, since (right before we moved to Woolwich) I had to drive our cat 45 minutes to Portland in the winter at 2am.

Though I do really like Bath, I would suggest you take a good look at Brunswick and Damariscotta. Brunswick has more going on and is closer to 295. Brunswick residents can audit courses at Bowdoin College for free if that's something you might be interested in. Damariscotta is just beautiful and has a great little downtown and a really nice vibe---and its own well-regarded hospital, Miles Memorial.

Two hospitals in Brunswick: Midcoast and Parkview Adventist. They both have pretty good reputations.

Good luck with your search.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM

16,045 posts, read 18,269,605 times
post deleted

Last edited by RiverBird; 11-15-2012 at 07:38 PM..

Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,781,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
Hip ? Maine ?
Yep. Missed the memo, did you?

Old 12-08-2012, 04:52 PM

18 posts, read 24,775 times
From what you've listed as your needs and wants, I suspect you'd be really happy in Bath. It's a great little city... and though there is some "grit" from the shipyards, I can't think of anywhere in the area that wouldn't be safe to walk alone at any hour of the day or night.

I live about a 1/2 hour North of Bath, and go there at lease once a week for the natural market, a wonderful traditional barbershop, one of the best kitchen equipment stores I've set foot in anywhere, and other great things. If I didn't love my house here so much, I'd probably be living in Bath.

I would think you would be able to EASILY get the sort of home you're looking for at that budget.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions,

Old 12-08-2012, 04:54 PM

18 posts, read 24,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolwiTch View Post
We retired almost 10 years ago to Woolwich, across the river from Bath. Bath is a very homey place, with a great downtown and lots of community activities. The high school doesn't have a very good rep, which is probably why the prices are a little lower than some surrounding areas. I also agree with Radio Flyer that the presence of Bath Iron Works probably makes some people discount the value of the real estate.

Don't get too excited about the Irish pub in Bath. It's really just a bar and the food is pretty bad. There is a great coffee shop, though, called Café Crème, and a few good restaurants, like Best Thai, Beale Street Barbecue, the Cabin (pizza) and Solo Bistro. I wish there were more good places to eat, but Brunswick has a lot of good eateries and it's just 10 minutes away.

The Patten Free Library in Bath is excellent and it has its own used bookstore. There is a small new bookstore downtown, a used paperbacks store and an antiquarian/old bookstore.

Brackett's Market is right downtown and carries a lot of Maine and local products. They make a real effort in that direction. The natural market is well stocked and we have a decent farmer's market. There is also a Shaw's supermarket just off Route One.

Some of the other attractions of downtown include Reny's, Maine's own department store chain (my husband always says no man needs to shop anywhere else); Lisa-Marie's Made in Maine; Dot's Ice Cream; a candy store, several clothing stores; and Now You're Cooking, a truly wonderful kitchen store.

We love our vet, Tammy Doughty of the Woodbrook Animal Clinic, who is on our side of the bridge, but would be only about a 15-minute drive from you if you were in Bath. There are quite a few vets in the vicinity. I once asked Tammy what we should do if we ever have an after-hours problem with our dog, and she said to just call and she will come in. That was a relief to hear, since (right before we moved to Woolwich) I had to drive our cat 45 minutes to Portland in the winter at 2am.

Though I do really like Bath, I would suggest you take a good look at Brunswick and Damariscotta. Brunswick has more going on and is closer to 295. Brunswick residents can audit courses at Bowdoin College for free if that's something you might be interested in. Damariscotta is just beautiful and has a great little downtown and a really nice vibe---and its own well-regarded hospital, Miles Memorial.

Two hospitals in Brunswick: Midcoast and Parkview Adventist. They both have pretty good reputations.

Good luck with your search.
Lot's of good advice here, but I would stay FAR FAR away from Miles for anything beyond the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or