U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 05:28 AM

17,180 posts, read 22,210,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What if it starts snowing at 4am and I have to be on the road by 4:45am, (giving myself plenty of time to get there since I would have to drive like a turtle), will the plows be out that quick, all along that route?

I'm talking 1A...basically Bangor, Hampden, Winterport, etc to Route 1, all the way to Camden, Rockport, etc.

Will they really have that all plowed in 45 minutes?

I don't know if I will have enough for winter tires...is the point. If I don't...this is going to really suck.
the plows are out all night, and its easier for them to work the roads before the heavy commute times..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,943,587 times
Quote:
Thanks you two.

In other news, I will have you Mainers know, I had a nightmare last night that I got a new car, test drove it, really liked it and bought it. It wasn't until I was on the way home, when I looked down at the steering wheel and a word appeared, (that had not been there the whole time earlier), that I realized, with horror, that I had decided to purchase a Volvo. I woke up very upset.

I hope you are pleased with yourselves!
That is a good omen! If you can afford to buy a new Volvo that is a good thing.Congrats on your new job.
Rockland is a nice little seafaring blue collar town with a cute little downtown and some wonderful restaurants.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 AM

444 posts, read 973,773 times
A couple years ago I purchased 4 Goodyear Wrangler snow/winter tires for my Explorer at Walmart. $50 a piece. This is here in WI, but all Walmarts probably operate the same.

Go to the back entrance of the store by the Auto Deparment and they will have a display of tires outside on a rack. These tires are always marked down in price. You probably have to be there at the right time.

Concering Subaru. I recently pruchased a Subaru Forester from my son. Nice car. I did get a surprise though. The antifreeze level was down a smidgit, so before adding some Prestone I have on the shelf I checked the book.

Book (and most auto website mechanics) say to use Subaru antifreeze only,,, because of additives used to protect seals and gaskets.
So I went to Subaru dealer and a gallon is $36. You can get regular stuff at box store for about $7 on sale/reabate.
I expressed shock and dismay at the $36 cost and he "gave" it to me for $22. I read that this pertains to certain engines
(2.5L) and of course I have that engine.

Three Wolves -Among other things, be sure to carry a proper shovel (not too big, not too small) and sand in your car.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:51 AM

20,691 posts, read 15,469,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Three Wolves -Among other things, be sure to carry a proper shovel (not too big, not too small) and sand in your car.
D'oh! Thanks for reminding me. I need a shovel and I need a little broom thingie to wipe the snow off the vehicle. Tired of using my sleeves.

As for good omen...man, I sure hope so! I could use some good about now. I just don't want to get a Volvo...maybe the dream meant Volkswagen?

Anyway, I MAY have the winter driving figured out...at least for the month of December. Right now I have the same schedule as another who lives in Prospect. (Blink, where did it go?)

So if it snows and is icy, I just have to get to Prospect and then the co-worker has a car with studded tires and we will take that since we now carpool while we are on the same schedule.

After that, it would only be about two weeks before I could probably afford some winter tires...so I might just make it. Maybe, we'll see what this winter does to us.

Still wondering if any Almanac readers have a clue what is supposed to happen this year. Are we getting mild again or are we getting out of control, you've got to be kidding me, snow storms like someone told me we were going to get?

Old 11-17-2012, 01:46 PM

1,000 posts, read 842,664 times
In defense of volvos...

The first new car I bought was a volvo 240. It was very reliable, no serious mechanical problems until it was 12 years old. My second new car was also a volvo (based on my good experience with the 240). However, they had changed their engine from a 4-cylinder to a new 5-cylinder design by then, and it was nothing but trouble.

I now have a Ford Expedition (8 years old), and so far only 1 serious mechanical problem (new transmission). Maybe Ford is the new Volvo... and the granola-eating dividing line will need to be renamed 'The Ford Line'

Old 11-17-2012, 01:53 PM

29,741 posts, read 47,547,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
... and the granola-eating dividing line will need to be renamed 'The Ford Line'
More likely 'Prius'

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,782,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatans View Post
Help, what's the ewver feared "VOLVO LINE'' ?
Those would be your progressives, otherwise defined as those oddballs in hempwear that many people on the Maine board like to shake their fist at shrieking "you dang kids get off my lawn!"

(someone on this very thread even referenced them using the word "dang")

Old 11-18-2012, 07:01 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,782,270 times
Quote:
My only concern about the driving is that I have to get up at the crack of dawn and what if the plows aren't out yet?

Sure, in towns they may have been but what about all along Route 1? All 65 miles I have to drive?

What about those hills I have to go up...what if I get stuck behind someone who is driving like a snail up those hills and I lose traction? (These people can't drive when there's NOTHING on the roads...now we are talking about adding snow and ice to the same roads?)

Those sharp curves....even going slow, throw in a patch of ice, could be serious issues. Would winter tires help in that regard? Of course one should drive much slower and use way more caution but again, those hills and some of those sharp curves on route 1...yah, they do concern me in winter time.

But, again, I am not sure I'm going to have the means to get winter tires in time. I have all season...mud and snow...I guess that's the same? I don't know, I have mud and snow tires. But they are not winter tires.

Last year, during our "mild" winter, I was at a stop light, it turned green, I was making a left turn and even though I took off slowly, I still skidded. You can see why I might be a little anxious about the hills and sharp curves.

Also keep in mind, my vehicle is VERY light even if I throw a couple buckets of cat litter in the back to add some weight.

What will this winter be like? Some have told me it will be mild, like last year, some have told me we are supposed to expect horrible conditions this year. It's definitely something on my mind.
News flash: a Volvo handles this with no problem. You may not know this but they come from Sweden, and it is winter a lot there.

But feel free to stick with your Pontiac or whatever if that works better for your prejudices. I'll wave at you from my Sube as you're spinning tires.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:21 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,267,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Besides the tire commissioner slyfox, how many on here use winter studded tires? or use all-season/3 season tires?

of course its a good idea to have winter tires,,,,,, but if you are a cautious driver, all season radials are fine
I use all-season tires. I've always used them (even back in the days of rear wheel drive). The roads in my area are pretty clear as a general rule. I've had to crawl home on more than one occasion during a blizzard, but as long as I maintain a prudent speed (and some jackwagon in a 4WD isn't riding up my tailpipe ) I can usually do fine. On the occasion that some fool decides to tailgate, I wait until it's safe to pull over and let him/her go by. That way I can hopefully get a good length to stop and see if he/she's hurt when I come across him/her upside down in the ditch a few miles further down the road. Yup. This has happened to me more than once over the years.

If I was traveling the back way as TWIS may be, I might be more inclined to use studded snow tires, but I think I'd try radials first.

Last edited by cebdark; 11-18-2012 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: wrong word

Old 11-18-2012, 03:21 PM

17,180 posts, read 22,210,802 times
Quote:
D'oh! Thanks for reminding me. I need a shovel and I need a little broom thingie to wipe the snow off the vehicle. Tired of using my sleeves.

As for good omen...man, I sure hope so! I could use some good about now. I just don't want to get a Volvo...maybe the dream meant Volkswagen?

Anyway, I MAY have the winter driving figured out...at least for the month of December. Right now I have the same schedule as another who lives in Prospect. (Blink, where did it go?)

So if it snows and is icy, I just have to get to Prospect and then the co-worker has a car with studded tires and we will take that since we now carpool while we are on the same schedule.

After that, it would only be about two weeks before I could probably afford some winter tires...so I might just make it. Maybe, we'll see what this winter does to us.

Still wondering if any Almanac readers have a clue what is supposed to happen this year. Are we getting mild again or are we getting out of control, you've got to be kidding me, snow storms like someone told me we were going to get?
hopefully its a mild winter again this year, saves on the oil, and saves on the plow trucks, on the road .
and calcium/sand

today , I played 27 holes of golf, with many others in augusta- in mid november, maybe this is a sign, this winter will be a mild one.

january and febuary are really the only two winter months of the year,,,,,march, the temps start rising,,,,and decembers have been mild the last few years
although both months CAN be harsh.

I remember years, that snow fell hard in october and also storms into may,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or