U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 04:51 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How does warm sand, "melt in to the ice" if it's inside your car on the passenger floor board?
if you place sand where a passenger would place his/her feet,, and the heater was on, this would warm the sand as you drive,,,,then if you get in a predicament that your tires are spinning in one spot,,,or stuck,,,throw some of the warmed sand in front of the tires on the ice and snow...the sand, being much warmer than the snow and ice, will likely give you more traction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 12:51 AM

20,595 posts, read 15,415,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if you place sand where a passenger would place his/her feet,, and the heater was on, this would warm the sand as you drive,,,,then if you get in a predicament that your tires are spinning in one spot,,,or stuck,,,throw some of the warmed sand in front of the tires on the ice and snow...the sand, being much warmer than the snow and ice, will likely give you more traction
Ah, ok. He just missed the part, "if you get stuck, take the sand out and throw it on the ice..."

GOT it now.

You can't even imagine the mental picture I had in my head....

Old 11-30-2012, 01:50 PM

825 posts, read 923,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdinmigration View Post
News flash: a Volvo handles this with no problem. You may not know this but they come from Sweden, and it is winter a lot there.

But feel free to stick with your Pontiac or whatever if that works better for your prejudices. I'll wave at you from my Sube as you're spinning tires.
I owned two Volvos when I lived in Minnesota and they were horrible in slippery conditions. They were before all wheel drive back then so maybe that makes a difference. My current Volvo (I'm living in Texas at the moment) in an old 740 wagon and it is also horrible if we get the slightest bit of snow. I always thought this was weird considering they came from Sweden.

Old 12-04-2012, 02:56 PM

73 posts, read 123,093 times
Default I have a 20 year old Volvo because it's a car.

Is there anything that Mainers won't use to increase the levels of prejudice and isolation here? I think not. I have a Volvo because it was the car I could find for $1500. I would never wear Birkenstocks because they don't suit me, and because I could not afford them. Really, people, you must go somewhere else and free your minds.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:23 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
Is there anything that Mainers won't use to increase the levels of prejudice and isolation here? I think not. I have a Volvo because it was the car I could find for $1500. I would never wear Birkenstocks because they don't suit me, and because I could not afford them. Really, people, you must go somewhere else and free your minds.

I once drove a school-bus yellow 1978 4 door Buick. It was the ugliest thing you could ALWAYS find in any parking lot. It was free, and I was broke.

I wasn't about to look a gift car in the mouth.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:39 PM

444 posts, read 972,652 times
Speak about ugly, I drive a pea green 1970 Gremlin in the summer (not kidding(

Short wheel base car, doesn't drive good in the snow/ice.

Old 12-06-2012, 11:38 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Ah, ok. He just missed the part, "if you get stuck, take the sand out and throw it on the ice..."

GOT it now.

You can't even imagine the mental picture I had in my head....
LOL, sorry, it just never occurred to me that someone wouldn't know what the sand was for, it's just one of those things that seems like a fact of life to me- Winter, ice, put sand on it. My focus was on the issue of keeping some warm instead of having it all in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midcoaster View Post
Yikes, lighten up a little. It's more a description of an attitude than the actual make of car you drive. There are certain [stereotypical] types of people who tend to choose certain types of cars and also tend to have a certain type of attitude towards life and other people, generally people who [can] buy these [expensive] cars when they are new.

Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Speak about ugly, I drive a pea green 1970 Gremlin in the summer (not kidding(

Short wheel base car, doesn't drive good in the snow/ice.

I remember those gremlins..or maybe im thinking amc pacers
I had a 77 ford pinto wagon....i couldn't do a donut if i tried,,,but in snow-no problem....
and I had a 77 delta 88 indy pace car, big car 403 engine, a beast, and that was terrible in snow- usually wintered it

the worst car I ever had in snow- was a 91 firebird, I bought SNOW TIRES thinking they'd be better than all season tires

even with some weight in the back, that thing was a deathtrap...

Old 12-07-2012, 07:43 AM

825 posts, read 923,838 times
Whenever I looked at a used car when I lived in Minnesota, the first question was always: "Does it start in the winter?" I didn't really care what it looked like as long as it would start.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:19 AM

776 posts, read 1,032,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post

Yikes, lighten up a little. It's more a description of an attitude than the actual make of car you drive. There are certain [stereotypical] types of people who tend to choose certain types of cars and also tend to have a certain type of attitude towards life and other people, generally people who [can] buy these [expensive] cars when they are new.

I think there is an actual Volvo line! It's the Volvo dealership on Main St. in Topsham. 'Sounds about right, geographically.

I drove by it the other day and smirked because I thought of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or