U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 12:37 PM

20,783 posts, read 15,507,759 times

Advertisements

Hi Mainers.

Recently, after so long, I landed three jobs. One was easy to dismiss but the other two I had to weigh out pros and cons to decide which one to take. While I'm much more familiar with the area with one job, I've decided on the other.

I will be starting next week. It is 65 miles away. Nice drive...but not something I want to do every single day. So, when the money starts coming in, I'm going to save up so that I can move closer to the job.

This requires that I move south, dreadfully close, if not crossing, the ever feared and scoffed at, "Volvo line". (I promise not to drive a Volvo.)

I need to know as much as I can, from you lifers, anything and everything about the following locations:

Camden, (Yes, I know it is expensive but I still need to know everything you know.)
Rockport
Rockland
Thomaston
Warren
Cushing

I will rent. Maybe some day I'll buy a house but I don't see that happening any time soon as I'm not keen on staying in one place for long periods of time...even if I just move to another town. It's the nomad in me.

I will not pay ridiculous prices for rent, (which, I know, pretty much makes Camden a no go for rent but, sometimes you can find deals), and I don't want to have to move out in the summer. I want a year round rental. I prefer to rent a house. I am over it with the apartment life nor do I even want a condo. I do not like having neighbors all up in my business, I like to feel like I have SOME privacy.

I have dogs. I would prefer some kind of yard for them. Fenced would be ideal.

I'd LOVE to have a garage or carport....but I realize that may be asking too much.

Other than that, what do you all know about these areas? What is the good, the bad and the ugly about these areas? I realize that in the tourist season, Camden is busy and I know that trying to get home or go to work and having to drive through Camden will probably drive me insane. People like to sight see...that's fine, but I just want to get home so I would not like to be in the main area.

I would love to be as close to the ocean as possible but far enough away that the rent price can drop significantly. (I've heard this can happen in a matter of blocks or a mile or so.)

I am assuming that these are nicer areas, have nice people, like many other places in Maine, but I wonder about every day things like:

Is there a Sam's Club near by? (I got a card in Bangor but what is the point of renewing it if there is no store near any of those towns I just mentioned?)

What other stores are nearby? I don't need a lot of fancy schmancy shopping areas, I'm not big on malls and I tend to buy on the internet anyway but every so often, I have to go to a mall or shopping district for shoes or whatever. Anything like that in those areas? Target? Wally World?

Does anyone know if cell service is decent in those areas? If so, what companies do you know for a fact have good cell service? (Verizon, Tmobile, Boost, etc?)

I'm going to assume that my car insurance will go up because it's a touristy area around there. Anyone know if I'm right in my assumption? What about my excise tax? Would that also go up? Is that "by city" or is that "by state"?

Where IS the closest DMV to that area?

Is it mostly farmland out there, (away from Camden), or is it just suburby type places? I'd prefer either a city feel or rural, not impressed with suburb feel...well, truthfully, don't like it at all.

Are prices on everything going to be higher there? Gas, groceries, wood pellets, etc?

Would it be more cost effective to stay where I am and drive 130 miles a day or would it be more cost effective to move there; the prices won't be THAT much of a difference?

In the smaller places like Warren, are the roads plowed early on like they are in, say, Bangor or is it like in Skowhegan where you might have to wait a little bit for the plows to show?

Any businesses, (repair garages, little stores, book stores, bakeries, candy stores, "homegrown" as I like to call them), that any one knows about that would be neat little places to visit and get to know the people who own them? You know, like in Belfast area, you all talked about that nut store...that's what I mean.

Tell me everything you know about these places. I understand that some of you are not fond of the southern part of Maine and that's fine...but I have to go where I can find work and that is where I found work. So, the more I know, the better.

Thanks!

Last edited by Three Wolves In Snow; 11-10-2012 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Added Cushing to the list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2012, 12:49 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,552,997 times
I lived in Bangor and then Northport (between Camden and Belfast), but it was 5-6 years ago. So here are my answers based on what I know, but realize things could have changed some:

Is there a Sam's Club near by? Not that I remember. What I remembered about the area was I had to drive an hour to do "real" shopping (i.e. Bangor.) But I like malls, so to me, I had to drive that far.

What other stores are nearby? I don't need a lot of fancy schmancy shopping areas, I'm not big on malls and I tend to buy on the internet anyway but every so often, I have to go to a mall or shopping district for shoes or whatever. Anything like that in those areas? Target? Wally World? No Target that I remember, but there was a Walmart and a JCPenney in Rockland I believe.

Does anyone know if cell service is decent in those areas? If so, what companies do you know for a fact have good cell service? (Verizon, Tmobile, Boost, etc?)

I'm going to assume that my car insurance will go up because it's a touristy area around there. Anyone know if I'm right in my assumption? What about my excise tax? Would that also go up? Is that "by city" or is that "by state"?

Where IS the closest DMV to that area?

Is it mostly farmland out there, (away from Camden), or is it just suburby type places? I'd prefer either a city feel or rural, not impressed with suburb feel...well, truthfully, don't like it at all. I guess that's all relative -- none of those towns has what I consider a "city" feel. Warren was more rural. The other towns had rural areas and then the downtown part.

Are prices on everything going to be higher there? Gas, groceries, wood pellets, etc? I remember gas being a lot cheaper in the Belfast area than in Bangor. The rest was about the same, as I recall.

Would it be more cost effective to stay where I am and drive 130 miles a day or would it be more cost effective to move there; the prices won't be THAT much of a difference? I remember gas being a lot cheaper in the Belfast area than in Bangor. The rest was about the same, as I recall.

In the smaller places like Warren, are the roads plowed early on like they are in, say, Bangor or is it like in Skowhegan where you might have to wait a little bit for the plows to show?

Any businesses, (repair garages, little stores, book stores, bakeries, candy stores, "homegrown" as I like to call them), that any one knows about that would be neat little places to visit and get to know the people who own them? You know, like in Belfast area, you all talked about that nut store...that's what I mean.

Tell me everything you know about these places. I understand that some of you are not fond of the southern part of Maine and that's fine...but I have to go where I can find work and that is where I found work. So, the more I know, the better.

Thanks!

I don't consider that the southern part of Maine at all -- that's "Midcoast" Maine, and is a beautiful area. Some places are only open on a seasonal basis. It was too remote for my liking, but it is a great place for tons of people. We just sold our house in Northport (at a $250k loss) and I hope the buyers love the area.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I don't consider that the southern part of Maine at all -- that's "Midcoast" Maine, and is a beautiful area. Some places are only open on a seasonal basis. It was too remote for my liking, but it is a great place for tons of people. We just sold our house in Northport (at a $250k loss) and I hope the buyers love the area.
Only open on a seasonal basis...I can see loving that and hating that. Loving it when I don't need anything and hating it when I have to drive far to get anything. For the most part, I would love it. Less people! That is always better, in my book.

Thanks for sharing what you do know, I appreciate it.

Also, looking at a map, I guess I can add in Cushing to my list, that isn't too far from where I will be working...doesn't look too far anyway.

Old 11-10-2012, 01:03 PM

17,201 posts, read 22,247,893 times
first and most important, I think you are still above the volvo line...

nice areas....back away from the coastal towns,,and housing will be much cheaper,,here are some towns that are nearby
lincolnville, hope, union,
rockland has a walmart, a shaws and a hannaford, and a mcdonalds and subway-has an extensive mainstreet with an artsy appeal, also has a ferry terminal that goes to many islands...

warren has a curtis custom meats, I think you can pick out your own cow in the back lot-so you know its fresh,,,ask for the owner, fulton

take a ride thru these areas, from rockland head west (away from the coast on rte 17) eventually goes to augusta-but goes thru many smaller towns, like union...drive around thomaston and warren

thomaston is a nice town...has a nice little grocery store....thomaston grocery-sells alot of local stuff...owner John is a good guy...

union has a grocery store- the common market- has the basics of a small grocery store- bill, the store manager is a good guy-knows the area well, with any questions

warren has a lincoln county store....smaller grocery store,, mark is the owner,,,again a good resource for local questions

mostly a rural feel...good people , rockland is the most populous town you mentioned but each town has a town office and post office....

i'd do rental/lease searches in all these towns,,just to see what on the market

alot of folks commute an hour or so each day- I went to a place of business 3.5 hrs away in mass a few days ago, 7 hrs round trip

if you come down thru winterport/frankfort/ belfast/Camden.... is it shorter?

Old 11-10-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Only open on a seasonal basis...I can see loving that and hating that. Loving it when I don't need anything and hating it when I have to drive far to get anything. For the most part, I would love it. Less people! That is always better, in my book.

Thanks for sharing what you do know, I appreciate it.

Also, looking at a map, I guess I can add in Cushing to my list, that isn't too far from where I will be working...doesn't look too far anyway.
I think cushing(pronounced like a seat cushion) is close to friendship, not far from georgetown, tenants harbor and port clyde....but all coastal towns(the U isnt like gushing)

none of these are that far from thomaston or rockland

Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
first and most important, I think you are still above the volvo line...
Oh thank GOD!

Quote:
nice areas....back away from the coastal towns,,and housing will be much cheaper,,here are some towns that are nearby
lincolnville, hope, union,
rockland has a walmart, a shaws and a hannaford, and a mcdonalds and subway-has an extensive mainstreet with an artsy appeal, also has a ferry terminal that goes to many islands...
This sounds just like my style. Especially that ferry to the islands. Maybe not right in town, maybe just a little bit out of the main area...

Quote:
warren has a curtis custom meats, I think you can pick out your own cow in the back lot-so you know its fresh,,,ask for the owner, fulton
You're speaking my language now. I have wondered if I would find another like Maple Lane Farms. I go there to get meat for the pets. I will still go once a month if I have to but would like to find something closer. Depends on prices and what they offer. Will definitely check them out! Thanks!!

Quote:
take a ride thru these areas, from rockland head west (away from the coast on rte 17) eventually goes to augusta-but goes thru many smaller towns, like union...drive around thomaston and warren
Union is probably as far out as I would allow myself to get. Further than that and I start to feel land locked. (Where I live now gives me that feeling.) Will drive around these areas soon, when I get closer to being ready to lay the cash down for a rental.

Quote:
thomaston is a nice town...has a nice little grocery store....thomaston grocery-sells alot of local stuff...owner John is a good guy...
Local like veggies and eggs and that kind of stuff or local like crafts?

Quote:
union has a grocery store- the common market- has the basics of a small grocery store- bill, the store manager is a good guy-knows the area well, with any questions

warren has a lincoln county store....smaller grocery store,, mark is the owner,,,again a good resource for local questions
I'll tell 'em "Mainebrokerman sent me!"

Quote:
mostly a rural feel...good people , rockland is the most populous town you mentioned but each town has a town office and post office....
This is what I love about Maine. I can get close to the ocean without all the dang annoying people in the way.

Quote:
i'd do rental/lease searches in all these towns,,just to see what on the market
It's hard to do on the internet. All they keep showing me is either apartments for rent, (do not want), or homes for sale, (not ready).

HEY! You're an agent! Hmmmm.....

Quote:
alot of folks commute an hour or so each day- I went to a place of business 3.5 hrs away in mass a few days ago, 7 hrs round trip

if you come down thru winterport/frankfort/ belfast/Camden.... is it shorter?
Normally it wouldn't be an issue except I have to think about my dogs. If you do an 8 hour shift plus 3 hours commuting, that's 11 hours right there...that they are stuck, not being able to use the bathroom. Not good. Later on, it will be 12 hour shifts...15 hours away from them...not good. I have an ad up looking for a dog care sitter person but, who knows if that will pan out.

Not only that...snow, ice...sigh. Long way to drive on snow and ice. And what about moose? Are moose going to leap out in front of me on this drive?

I do go through Winterport, Frankfort, Searsport, Belfast, Camden...I didn't know there was another way to go?

Thanks for all the info! TONS of good info there.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:12 PM

1,361 posts, read 1,861,864 times
Congratulations on landing three jobs! I think you and your dogs would love Camden Hills State Park....Lincolnville Beach....

maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "camden" - craigslist (I checked the box for dogs.)

Water Front Cottage Rockland/South Thomaston Area

http://maine.craigslist.org/apa/3308348599.html

Since you're not in a big rush, I feel confident that you will find a place reasonably priced that will meet your needs and your dogs....lots of driving in the meantime. Once you start work, ask around.

There's a Reny's in Belfast, Camden, and Damariscotta. Hannaford in Rockland and Camden. There's a Sam's Club in Augusta as well as lots of other stores (Target included)...about an hour from Rockland. I have friends who sometimes drive from the Farmington area to shop in Augusta...about an hour's drive.

Locations & Hours, Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles scroll down the page

All this summer traffic talk...yes, there's summer traffic, but maybe not at the time you'll be going to and from work. I was surprised how quickly I was able to get to Lincolnville from Ellsworth in July and had to stop a few times for roadwork.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 11-10-2012 at 02:46 PM..

Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh thank GOD!

This sounds just like my style. Especially that ferry to the islands. Maybe not right in town, maybe just a little bit out of the main area...

You're speaking my language now. I have wondered if I would find another like Maple Lane Farms. I go there to get meat for the pets. I will still go once a month if I have to but would like to find something closer. Depends on prices and what they offer. Will definitely check them out! Thanks!!

Union is probably as far out as I would allow myself to get. Further than that and I start to feel land locked. (Where I live now gives me that feeling.) Will drive around these areas soon, when I get closer to being ready to lay the cash down for a rental.

Local like veggies and eggs and that kind of stuff or local like crafts?

I'll tell 'em "Mainebrokerman sent me!"

This is what I love about Maine. I can get close to the ocean without all the dang annoying people in the way.

It's hard to do on the internet. All they keep showing me is either apartments for rent, (do not want), or homes for sale, (not ready).

HEY! You're an agent! Hmmmm.....

Normally it wouldn't be an issue except I have to think about my dogs. If you do an 8 hour shift plus 3 hours commuting, that's 11 hours right there...that they are stuck, not being able to use the bathroom. Not good. Later on, it will be 12 hour shifts...15 hours away from them...not good. I have an ad up looking for a dog care sitter person but, who knows if that will pan out.

Not only that...snow, ice...sigh. Long way to drive on snow and ice. And what about moose? Are moose going to leap out in front of me on this drive?

I do go through Winterport, Frankfort, Searsport, Belfast, Camden...I didn't know there was another way to go?

Thanks for all the info! TONS of good info there.

no one will know who mainebrokerman is.... dont tell em that

there is a dog training place in warren, not sure if its a doggie daycare or not

in the wintertime rte one should be fine with traffic,,,but in the summer,,,may take rte 131 to get off of rte 1 .. have to look at a map or google search, i use to take that from searsport ,,thru swanville, down to morrill, then pass over rte 3 at belmont corners and keep heading south to rte 17 then east to rockland

I havent seen moose in those areas....- there may be some around ,,but more deer in that area

did you check craigslist for rentals, not sure of the local paper -use to be a village soup in that area, but think it closed,

if looking for a dog sitter/walker- put a listing on the umo or husson college website..looking for........ im sure some college students would do that

Old 11-10-2012, 05:16 PM

151 posts, read 163,202 times
Help, what's the ewver feared "VOLVO LINE'' ?

Old 11-10-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Congratulations on landing three jobs! I think you and your dogs would love Camden Hills State Park....Lincolnville Beach....

maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "camden" - craigslist (I checked the box for dogs.)

Water Front Cottage Rockland/South Thomaston Area

1 bedroom

Since you're not in a big rush, I feel confident that you will find a place reasonably priced that will meet your needs and your dogs....lots of driving in the meantime. Once you start work, ask around.

There's a Reny's in Belfast, Camden, and Damariscotta. Hannaford in Rockland and Camden. There's a Sam's Club in Augusta as well as lots of other stores (Target included)...about an hour from Rockland. I have friends who sometimes drive from the Farmington area to shop in Augusta...about an hour's drive.

Locations & Hours, Maine Bureau of Motor Vehicles scroll down the page

All this summer traffic talk...yes, there's summer traffic, but maybe not at the time you'll be going to and from work. I was surprised how quickly I was able to get to Lincolnville from Ellsworth in July and had to stop a few times for roadwork.
Ah yes, Augusta, I forgot all about that town. Thanks for all the links! (What is Reny's?) As far as work times...we will be on 12 hours shifts and since I am more than willing to work night shifts, I may be going to work when all the tourists are out. On the way back from there the other day, (after taking some tests), even thought it's the end of tourist season, there were still some tourists and they were still very much in to sight seeing and they were very much still driving slow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
no one will know who mainebrokerman is.... dont tell em that

there is a dog training place in warren, not sure if its a doggie daycare or not

in the wintertime rte one should be fine with traffic,,,but in the summer,,,may take rte 131 to get off of rte 1 .. have to look at a map or google search, i use to take that from searsport ,,thru swanville, down to morrill, then pass over rte 3 at belmont corners and keep heading south to rte 17 then east to rockland

I havent seen moose in those areas....- there may be some around ,,but more deer in that area

did you check craigslist for rentals, not sure of the local paper -use to be a village soup in that area, but think it closed,

if looking for a dog sitter/walker- put a listing on the umo or husson college website..looking for........ im sure some college students would do that
Wonder what kind of dog training...good, quality training or frou frou training like at PetCo?

I check CL periodically but since I'm not ready, money wise, I haven't put a lot in to it.

I put an ad in CL for the dog sitter and found two people who appear to be great, some who apparently have NO clue how to apply for a job...like...if this is what employers have to put up with on a daily basis, no wonder they throw half the resumes in the trash...God, why must I pull teeth for more information?! I am meeting one person tomorrow. We'll see how she does with the dogs, see if her references check out and then I'll put the fear of God in to her letting her know I work for the government...don't steal from me! (Lol, just kidding.....kind of.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or