U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 PM

103 posts, read 134,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
Did you receive any lead paint disclosure as required for rentals in the State of Maine? Landlord Obligations and Information

Anyone can break a lease - you just have to be prepared to pay the consequences. I don't think your situation would render a finding in your favor if the LL took you to court, but you never know.
I think you are right and I don't want to break my lease, but I don't want to be exposed to lead dust either. As for the lead paint disclosure, the landlord said he was unaware of any lead paint. It was a non-issue until the paint started peeling off the windows and doors due to the temperature change. Hopefully, he will disclose this info to the next tenant, but I'm doubtful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 08:04 AM

109 posts, read 160,608 times
What usually makes paint peel is excess humidity, not so much temp change.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM

9,480 posts, read 13,334,142 times
It's easy to "not be aware", just don't test. But also reasonable to assume that any house that was around before the ban probably has lead paint in it.
I am not "aware" that there is lead based paint in my house, but since it was built before 1970 I would assume there is and take the proper precautions when doing DIY projects.

Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM

107 posts, read 160,732 times
I deal with a lot of lead poisoned folks and it's rare to find one that ate the paint chips. This means that the vast majority of people who are lead poisoned didn't get it from eating paint chips.

When the paint begins chipping or peeling, it creates dust. The dust is what creates most of the problem.

If it truly is lead based paint, you officially have a lead hazard.

Be sure to let the landlord know about this, so he can start disclosing it. Hopefully, they are smart enough to make repairs using a Lead Safe Certified Firm at the minimum.

A Vet can do a lead blood test on your pet. Lead stays in the blood for 30 to 60 days ... then goes into your bone and can remain there for 20+ years.

Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM

3,476 posts, read 2,532,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasdean View Post

A Vet can do a lead blood test on your pet. Lead stays in the blood for 30 to 60 days ... then goes into your bone and can remain there for 20+ years.
Lead in my bones now will remain there until grave, more than likely!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:35 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,882,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
EVERY older house has lead paint in it. Since you don't have children, I wouldn't worry about it.
Yep, and every house in Maine is an older house. We used to have lead in gas and you don't hear us old folk complainin'.

Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,066 times
Quote:
Hopefully, they are smart enough to make repairs using a Lead Safe Certified Firm at the minimum.
Which, if it's anything like asbestos, will probably cost more than the value of the house.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:51 PM

8 posts, read 8,384 times
You have good grounds to break your lease. Peeling paint -lead or not, is usually a code violation for rental property. Had the landlord kept the place free of peeling paint, you would not be exposed to airborne dust particles of lead and dust particles could not settle on everything in your apartment.

Painting over lead paint-even with supposed sealers, will not resolve the issue, and will likely put more lead dust into your air. Often, new paint on trim, doors and windows-will test positive because the old lead dust mixes with the new layer of paint.

Old 01-01-2013, 03:11 PM

58 posts, read 74,910 times
Don't be alarmed. You are fine in regard to paint. That said...
If you have leaded piping on the domestic water lines that can be a real concern.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM

701 posts, read 925,674 times
Quote:
I deal with a lot of lead poisoned folks and it's rare to find one that ate the paint chips. This means that the vast majority of people who are lead poisoned didn't get it from eating paint chips.

When the paint begins chipping or peeling, it creates dust. The dust is what creates most of the problem.

If it truly is lead based paint, you officially have a lead hazard.

Be sure to let the landlord know about this, so he can start disclosing it. Hopefully, they are smart enough to make repairs using a Lead Safe Certified Firm at the minimum.

I sure have learned a lot about this! My home was built in 1800...........I think I may have some lead paint What contractors have to go through now is ridiculous and costly to them if they don't follow the rules exactly. I've been told that it's a $38,000 thousand dollar fine per incident. They have to charge so much more for all the hoops they have to jump through............we are installing new windows ourselves because it will cost way to much for all the lead abatement junk they have to do.

So the people who've made these rules are not going to get the results they want, we will do the work ourselves the way we see fit, contractors are missing out on the work and people who cannot afford the higher cost and cannot do it themselves are stuck with lead paint.

Wow, how smart is that? Just paint over it..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or