Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 08:24 PM

293 posts, read 782,284 times

Advertisements

Wife and I (no children) are looking to vacation in the Kittery ME area, arriving March 21st and looking to stay somewhere between 4-7 nights.

Guessing this is the off-season, looking for recommendations on lodging. Open to vacation rentals, hotels, cottages, etc. Don't need anything lavish or huge, but would also like something that isn't bare bones.

Doesn't have to be in Kittery, we have an event in Dover NH we'll be attending a few of the days, trying to combine it with a minication.

Hoping to find some decent package rates for the off-season if possible, not looking to pay an arm and a leg (trying to keep it under $700 for lodging costs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 05:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
My daughter lives in Dover NH and we love that area. One of our favorite places to stay is in Portsmouth (when we are not staying with her). It is called the Sise Inn. Every room is warm and welcoming and the whole Inn is charming. They "may" have rooms in your price range where it is very off season. Check it out on google - I think you will be impressed. It is also located within walking distance of the Portsmouth downtown area and only about 15 minutes from Dover. They serve a breakfast buffet. Our favorite room there is one on the first floor with it's own deck right next to the church. It was fun sitting out there on a Sunday morning listening to the church bells. Here's wishing you pleasant weather and a fun stay in NH.

Another suggestion for you for dinner would be "Kelly's" right in downtown Dover and now there is a new Italian place right above Kelly's - called Spagetti Stain, it is on the second floor. We were there about 2 weeks ago. If you want something a bit more upscale, right in that same courtyard area there is "Blue Latitudes"

For a nice dinner in Portsmouth there are lots of places. "The Library" restaurant is within walking distance of the Sise Inn. Then for a place more casual uptown try the Rusty Hammer.

Another place you may enjoy visiting is the historic "Strawberry Bank" right in Portsmouth.

Too me, Kittery is more complicated to get to from Dover than Portsmouth would be, as it means crossing the Piscataquis river every time you go back and forth to Dover. After you visit the area I would love to get your impressions of it.

Last edited by Newdaawn; 11-15-2012 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 11-15-2012, 11:53 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
^ What Newdaawn says is probably the best. If you want something a little closer to Dover and more rural, there is this B&B which is right off the Dover-Eliot Rd in Eliot. I just read some good reviews after a search and see that their rooms are only $65. to $95. They also have a special where you stay 7 days but pay for only 5 days.

Farmstead Bed and Breakfast

That's all I know.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM

UPDATE:

Wound up booking via Priceline well in advance at $75/night for a place in Dover. Then was talking to a buddy of mine about my upcoming vacation and he asked if I had gotten the Groupon, said he had considered it himself.

So I checked it out and found a deal for the Coachman Inn for $125 for three nights in Kittery and snatched that up pretty quick (made sure my Priceline deal allowed me to cancel without penalty)

Now just need to figure out things to do in the area. Looks like Yorks Wild Animal Kingdom isn't open for visiting the zoo during this time of year.

I'm meeting some friends from another forum to play poker, but need to have stuff for the wife to do as well. She's a bargain shopper, loves consignment shops, anything that sells Hello Kitty (hey, it's cheaper than diamonds, who am I to complain?) and dollar stores

Old 03-13-2013, 08:36 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
The outlet stores along Rt 1 in Kittery should give your wife lots of options for shopping. Just this past Saturday night we had dinner at "Robert's" right there in Kittery on Rt. 1. It is one of my daughter and son-in-laws favorite places. It was our first time there and it was good. I had the seafood pie and it was soooo good. They also have a children's menu and there were quite a few kids there that night.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
The outlet stores along Rt 1 in Kittery should give your wife lots of options for shopping. Just this past Saturday night we had dinner at "Robert's" right there in Kittery on Rt. 1. It is one of my daughter and son-in-laws favorite places. It was our first time there and it was good. I had the seafood pie and it was soooo good. They also have a children's menu and there were quite a few kids there that night.
Thanks for the post. Yes, we're staying right near the outlets, but wasn't sure if there was anything else nearby we should consider.

Also, we have no children and really dislike being sat next to people in restaurants with kids. It seems the vast majority of parents have learned to tune out their children's screaming, and don't care how it impacts the enjoyment of other diners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine