Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 5,934 times

Advertisements

I am from Georgia and tired of the heat. I am trying to convince my husband that we should move to Maine. I love the history that I read about the town of Houlton and would love to consider moving there. I have 2 kids. I haven't been able to find any jobs though in that area. I am a litigation paralegal. My husband does accident reconstruction for a living. Any ideas anyone? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 12:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
Both have good job opportunities. If hubby does industrial, workplace and automobile accident research he'll be in demand.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:58 PM

52 posts, read 204,552 times
I've done the opposite move from you. I'm originally from Mars Hill, about 30 miles north of Houlton, and moved to Augusta, GA....when I get back in a few months, we're moving to ATL. I'm military, so I really don't get a chance to say no. Jobs for him will be easy (especially in winter time ) and you shouldn't have too hard a time finding a job yourself. The reason it may seem hard right now is that they are still a lil behind on techknowledgy up there and don't put jobs on the internet all the time like the big cities do, they're usually pretty good if they even get it to the paper. Enjoy, and you'll love it!

Otis

Old 10-13-2007, 12:11 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,605,826 times
Word of caution: Try before you buy. Your post sounds like you saw some pretty pictures and are tired of the heat in GA - so are moving to Maine. I hope there is more to it than that. Maine is filled with beauty from January right straight through to, well, January. But it is not for beginners hoping for cuddly evenings sitting in front of a roaring fire while Jack Frost nips at your nose and chestnuts are roasting delicately over the open fire.

If at all possible, rent a place in the area you like for a year before you buy. This will serve a couple purposes all rolled into one endeavor: You'll get a feel for the real values of the properties in the area; gives you time to find the perfect area with the perfect job opportunities; gives you the benefit of experiencing all 4 seasons before you really decide where you want to be. There are benefits and disadvantages to being either in the city or in the country. Long driveways are great - until you have to plow or shovel snow just to get to work. Being on a hill gives panoramic views of the mountain and the vast open lands of the area, but good luck keeping your entry free of ice after a freeze that follows on the heels of light rain.

You'll learn that the sun does not know about rising in the east and setting in the west, at least, not in Maine. Not in Montana, either. So before you buy a west-facing house with the hopes of watching breath-taking sunsets each evening, you might want to really live in the area to see where the sun likes to set most of the year. And about those sunsets... in the winter, they occur before 4pm.

Temps in the 90's have found their way into Maine - more than our usual fare this past summer. There were actually days this past summer that our temperatures looked like they belonged in GA! Of course, those temps didn't hang around and linger all through the night, as they do in GA. But on the flip side, have you monitored the "average" winter temperatures in Maine - and how long the winters last? Having -40F is not at all uncommon and can hang around for several days to several weeks. First snow can come as early as September and even late August is not unheard of. At the end of winter, the danger of frost might end in June - but don't ask for it in writing. If gardens are your thing, you might want to find a place further south. But there is no shortage of hummingbirds! Go figure.

Maine is a great state to live in and I can't think of anywhere I would rather be, but please, do your homework and be sure - before you make the move.

Old 10-13-2007, 01:19 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Maine is filled with beauty from January right straight through to, well, January. But it is not for beginners hoping for cuddly evenings sitting in front of a roaring fire while Jack Frost nips at your nose and chestnuts are roasting delicately over the open fire.

To funny LOL!

"Reindeer landin' on your rooftop, Jack Frost nippn' at your sill, but if someones commin' down your chimney, you better load your gun and shoot to kill."

Weird Al Yankovich

Old 10-15-2007, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 9,414 times
Thumbs up want to live in maine

I have been researching the topic of moving to Maine for many many years now. Finally it looks like we will be able to move soon and select pretty much any location to make our home and that is the question. I would really like a property close to the shoreline or perhaps on a large lake. I would like to find some feedback about various locations

Old 10-15-2007, 01:37 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,675,502 times
There is plenty of both types of properties, but they are the most expensive and highest taxed properties we have.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:06 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Unless of course you choose to go with riverfrontage rather than lake frontage.

So some reason [which defies reasoning] riverfrontage does not always follow the theme of being more expensive and can many times be even cheaper.

Old 10-16-2007, 06:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,518,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marclar View Post
I have been researching the topic of moving to Maine for many many years now. Finally it looks like we will be able to move soon and select pretty much any location to make our home and that is the question. I would really like a property close to the shoreline or perhaps on a large lake. I would like to find some feedback about various locations
Eastport...small town, very friendly, reasonable housing costs, and on the watah!!! "course the job situation isn't the best.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:27 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,303 times
Quote:
So some reason [which defies reasoning] riverfrontage does not always follow the theme of being more expensive and can many times be even cheaper.
forest, is this only applied to Maine, in Miami the canal front to nowhere will cost 20-30 % more because it is water front.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: