Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 04:41 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times

Advertisements

I'm curious if any people have decided to move or retire to Maine instead of NH bcause of the high NH property tax rate in most towns. I'm also curious if people who made that choice also settled near the NH border to enjoy the NH no-sales tax enviroment ? In this day & age it seem like a smart way to set up a household since the 2 states share many of the same demographics & geography.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 05:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,577 times
LOL, why would anybody live in Maine vrs NH from a tax perspective (see: The Tax Tale: 50-state comparison - JSOnline). I suppose if I earned no taxable income (almost 50% of the population) then maybe the border idea might be worth looking at.

Old 11-15-2012, 06:25 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
The property tax in a lot of NH towns are becoming astronomical for starters. Retired people living on the border can save a lot of cash on sales tax in NH & with no taxes on clothes in NH & auto work & on & on it tends to add up. I suppose the income tax on working people in Maine can be brutal, so perhaps it's retired people who can play this angle best.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
I am retired. I went for Central Maine because land prices and property taxes are so much lower than Southern Maine [or most other states I have lived in]. As you guys have already pointed out no income taxes on small pensions.

So it is a clear win!

Old 11-15-2012, 08:38 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,626,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
LOL, why would anybody live in Maine vrs NH from a tax perspective (see: The Tax Tale: 50-state comparison - JSOnline). I suppose if I earned no taxable income (almost 50% of the population) then maybe the border idea might be worth looking at.
The article says Alaska has the highest income tax, but Alaska doesn't have a personal income tax (it does have a corporate income tax). I suppose they're using both to determine tax burden.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am retired. I went for Central Maine because land prices and property taxes are so much lower than Southern Maine [or most other states I have lived in]. As you guys have already pointed out no income taxes on small pensions.

So it is a clear win!

Well, I think Maine exempted the first $6,000 until this year, when it goes up to $10,000. So yes, if you have a pension under that amount, then Maine might be OK. Why that exemption was raised is because retired people (that pay taxes) are leaving Maine in droves.

Old 11-15-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

So it is a clear win!

That's funny. The highest property taxes I've EVER paid were in Caribou. See, let's say you live in a $150,000 home and it is in the top 10% in the town, you will bear a large portion of the towns assessment that has very little to tax of value. Now, if you own a $150,000 house in Cape Elizabeth, you'll be on the bottom (in a town with a large residential tax base) and pay very little.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:30 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Well, I think Maine exempted the first $6,000 until this year, when it goes up to $10,000. So yes, if you have a pension under that amount, then Maine might be OK. Why that exemption was raised is because retired people (that pay taxes) are leaving Maine in droves.
Bangorme, do you have a source for that statement? I ask because Maine has been a retirement mecca for more than 25 years now, and the fact that it has the oldest population in the country supports that. If it has changed, I'd love to know about it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
Bangorme, do you have a source for that statement? I ask because Maine has been a retirement mecca for more than 25 years now, and the fact that it has the oldest population in the country supports that. If it has changed, I'd love to know about it.
Well, here's one I found in about 15 seconds: Time to nix pension income tax, LePage says | The Morning Sentinel, Waterville, ME

But really, it's just common sense. Why would the Governor (a fiscal conservative) be trying to exempt pension income from income taxation if it wasn't to keep these people here paying other taxes? Yes, we've got tons of old people here, but too many of them are takers, not givers (Obama supporter types), and the older they are, the more expensive they are.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:53 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,076 times
Thanks for the link. The info about the Maine Revenue Service guy was very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine