U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 PM

29,765 posts, read 47,651,207 times

Advertisements

Many of our friends have camps. So they basically have two homes; their full-time residence and their camp.

We have been asked many times, if we were going to get a camp. To which we reply that we live at our camp.

Our cost of living dropped significantly when we moved to Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:25 PM

1,483 posts, read 2,726,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
If you moved to Maine why would you want a vacation home in NY? Maine is Vacationland. I think you could have afforded to live in Maine with the pay cut and only one job each. You would have to adjust your spending and probably forget about the vacation home in NY--seems totally unnecessary to me, but I'm not you. I realize everyone's situation is different. Most people I know who work 2-3 jobs have jobs that pay about $10 an hour or at least one of them is part-time. I know one person who worked full-time as an RN and also waited tables in the summer to pay for other things she wanted or needed. something to think about... "Maine the Way Life Should Be"
"The way life should be" is NOT moving to a place where I go from having one job, to working 2-3 jobs.
That's not a good reason for my wife and I to make the move. Again, everyone's situation is different.

The point I was trying to make originally was, even if you are lucky enough to find a job (moving to Maine from another state) is comparing the salaries from State to State within the same profession. Again, every profession, job, situation is different.

It's such a beautiful place to visit and I'm sure to live. But as everyone agrees, it's all about the jobs.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
"The way life should be" is NOT moving to a place where I go from having one job, to working 2-3 jobs.
That's not a good reason for my wife and I to make the move. Again, everyone's situation is different.

The point I was trying to make originally was, even if you are lucky enough to find a job (moving to Maine from another state) is comparing the salaries from State to State within the same profession. Again, every profession, job, situation is different.

It's such a beautiful place to visit and I'm sure to live. But as everyone agrees, it's all about the jobs.
If you are fortunate enough to one day have a pension, you may wish to move here then.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:55 PM

6,741 posts, read 11,818,245 times
Quote:
NY Long Island here. I too wanted to move to Maine. However, even with a job lined up, my wife would take a 25% pay cut as an R.N. I would take 20% +/- pay cut as a civil servant due to locality pay. It just did not work out financially. So, even with a job (which is very hard to come by in any state) the numbers have to work out.

Eventually we will buy a small cabin/vaca home.
Quote:
If my wife and I could of taken a SMALL pay cut, it would have been worth it for us. However, a 40-45% combined pay cut is way too much. Even with the high cost of living here in NY, my everyday/housing expenses are not 40-50% of our combined salries.
I am confused because your numbers are off. You don't add percentages together to get a total pay cut; you take a weighted average of the 2 percentage cuts. Example: you make $100,000 but would have to take a 20% pay cut so your new salary would be $80,000; your wife also makes $100,000 but would have to take a 25% pay cut so her new salary would be $75,000. Total combined income goes from $200,000 to $155,000, which is a 22.5% pay cut -- nowhere near the 40-45% cut you thought you would have to make (I think you just added 20% and 25%?).

If the cost of living in Maine is 22.5% (or more) cheaper than the cost of living on Long Island, you would basically come out ahead by moving to Maine.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I am confused because your numbers are off. You don't add percentages together to get a total pay cut; you take a weighted average of the 2 percentage cuts. Example: you make $100,000 but would have to take a 20% pay cut so your new salary would be $80,000; your wife also makes $100,000 but would have to take a 25% pay cut so her new salary would be $75,000. Total combined income goes from $200,000 to $155,000, which is a 22.5% pay cut -- nowhere near the 40-45% cut you thought you would have to make (I think you just added 20% and 25%?).

If the cost of living in Maine is 22.5% (or more) cheaper than the cost of living on Long Island, you would basically come out ahead by moving to Maine.

Yeah sorry, I'm not a mathematical wizard.

Anyway, she makes about 90k now with her night diff (NO over time). I was told RN's in Maine make about 60k. That's a 30k +/- pay cut. i would not get locality pay. My pay would drop 10k +/- (55k to 45k) Sounds like We make a lot here in NY. However, I live in a VERY BASIC 3 bed room ranch which I paid 425k (worth about 350k in today's market) My property taxes are 7k per year. Yes, 7k! And that's considered cheap! That's why I wanted to make the move. The 40k +/- pay cut (28k take home +/-) is my mtg and taxes here in NY per year.

I do greatly appreciate all the feed back! Thank you!

Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Yeah sorry, I'm not a mathematical wizard.

Anyway, she makes about 90k now with her night diff (NO over time). I was told RN's in Maine make about 60k. That's a 30k +/- pay cut. i would not get locality pay. My pay would drop 10k +/- (55k to 45k) Sounds like We make a lot here in NY. However, I live in a VERY BASIC 3 bed room ranch which I paid 425k (worth about 350k in today's market) My property taxes are 7k per year. Yes, 7k! And that's considered cheap! That's why I wanted to make the move. The 40k +/- pay cut (28k take home +/-) is my mtg and taxes here in NY per year.

I do greatly appreciate all the feed back! Thank you!
She makes 90k, you make 55k, together you guys make 145k. Your household has a 72.5k per capita personal income.

"According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 2001, Maine had a per capita personal income (PCPI) of $26,853" http://www.city-data.com/states/Maine-Income.html

Your per capita income is nearly 3X that of Mainers.

Where you live is expensive. For less than half of what you spent on your 'VERY BASIC 3 bed room ranch' in NY, you could buy a McMansion here.

Look I am not making fun of you. We used to live in Ct and we were paying enormous taxes and living expenses there.

If you moved to Maine and took the pay cuts, you would be in the top 10% of wage-earners here.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
She makes 90k, you make 55k, together you guys make 145k. Your household has a 72.5k per capita personal income.

"According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, in 2001, Maine had a per capita personal income (PCPI) of $26,853" http://www.city-data.com/states/Maine-Income.html

Your per capita income is nearly 3X that of Mainers.

Where you live is expensive. For less than half of what you spent on your 'VERY BASIC 3 bed room ranch' in NY, you could buy a McMansion here.

Look I am not making fun of you. We used to live in Ct and we were paying enormous taxes and living expenses there.

If you moved to Maine and took the pay cuts, you would be in the top 10% of wage-earners here.

2001?????? That's almost 12 years ago the statistics. I made 28k in 2001 here in NY
Again, I greatly appreciate the conversations and feed back. All with no dis-respect.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
2001?????? That's almost 12 years ago the statistics. I made 28k in 2001 here in NY
Again, I greatly appreciate the conversations and feed back. All with no dis-respect.
Ooops good catch.

How about this link: Maine QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Per capita money income in past 12 months (2010 dollars) 2006-2010 $25,385

Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM

4,962 posts, read 3,558,941 times
That's the thing: my salary isn't great here, but housing is dirt cheap. So it all evens out.

Old 12-03-2012, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
That's the thing: my salary isn't great here, but housing is dirt cheap. So it all evens out.

Exactly!

That's another problem for me. After R.E. agent fees, I would walk away with zero equity in my home ( I put 20% down). But we all know about home values. That's another topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine