U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,267,826 times

Advertisements

If she likes March weather then June-Sept will be a no brainer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 11:08 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,704,162 times
Default March in maine

I live next door in New Hampshire and February through late March are not for the timid. If she can stand that she can stand near anything.

OP - good luck on your search. Maine is a great place to live (except feb - march).

Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 PM

21 posts, read 18,857 times
WoW this is awesome I am so thankful for all the feedback that I am getting. This is the exact reason I plan on coming in March because I want to meet people personally when I hand in resumes I am thinking a lot of places do not really want to hire someone as you said from across the country. And bedides you cant get a good feel for someone over the phone And i cant wait for the weather as of right now at 2 pm here in texas it is 71 degrees not hot by any means but doesnt get me in the christmas spirit lol

Old 11-30-2012, 02:42 PM

826 posts, read 926,736 times
I moved to Texas 20 years ago without a job. If you have the money to be able to do this, I think it's the best way to go. It gives you a local address, the ability to interview at the employers convenience and it allows you to become familiar with the area before settling on a position. I did make a number of trips to Austin before I decided to pull up stakes and head west. Now as I near retirement, I'm thinking of heading to the Portland area. I've made my first preliminary research trip and liked what I saw. I'll make at least one or two more to confirm my initial response and then make the move. I've also been to several other New England sites that I've liked but Portland is currently at the top. (And I grew up in Minnesota - 35 years of winters far colder than Maine and I'm looking forward to enjoying winter outdoor activities again.)

Old 12-04-2012, 03:40 PM

73 posts, read 123,774 times
Texas is not only big, but offers such a wide variety of communities, georgraphy, flora and fauna - I cannot imagine moving to Maine unless circumstances dictated it, or you were wealthy and wanted to retire in Maine, (and then spend most of the year in Palm Springs). Look around Texas, which, as you probably know, has excellent medical facilities of all types. And, for a 13 year old? Texas. Give the kid a chance.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM

Lived in this location for 33 years now, my daughter was born and raised here. We both absolutely hate the weather,scenery and pretty much everything in regards to Texas. As for needing to basically be rich to move to Maine, I don't buy it because let me tell you it's not cheap to live here in Texas either. You get what you pay for and work for. I believe the job I could attain there in Maine will allow me to live comfortably enough, and allow my daughter to be raised in a different environment all together.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:50 PM

1,007 posts, read 848,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrozier View Post
My biggest question would be would you move to a location that has the affordability in housing and land you want but have to get a job after getting there, or get a job lined up then move to a location that may not have the desires in a town/city you are looking for.
My $0.02 is get a job lined up, rent a home, and spend the next couple of years exploring the state and see what areas you like the most before deciding where to really settle down. The job is key, it can be beyond stressful to not have a job for a long time. I wouldn't worry too much about the cost of living once you have a job, local pay generally tracks local cost of living (at least I've found that to be the case for me).

Best of luck with your move

Old 12-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Thank you jdhpa, that is exactly what I had planned on doing!

Old 12-05-2012, 05:34 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,883,845 times
It sounds like you have this planned out very well. I believe you will make ouot very well. Good luck on the search. Keep us posted on how it's going. Some of us just lurk and don't say much but we're still interested and may be able to help.

Old 12-05-2012, 05:54 AM

17,222 posts, read 22,270,476 times
tinbender is right,
most of us wish you the best

I wouldnt live anywhere else, but maine, not that i've been too many places, but it's what you make of it, what I enjoy and appreciate in Maine, I couldnt say the same in alot of places

I couldn't imagine livin in texas, I'd melt in the heat, I have a tough time tolerating any day over 85 up here- but to have it continuously over 90 or 100 , I cant fathom that, the cars must be 140 degrees in the sun, to "play" outside as kids or adults, during the day, must be intolerable
if I could made 5 times what Im making now, (in texas), I dont think id move
(I havent locked the front door in 20 yrs of living here,,,,never had a problem
i love the fresh air, scenery, great people, and little traffic, and population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or