U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:31 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Having been on a school board, ever tried to expel a kid? Oh, they are all disabled now. They have a RIGHT to treatment. They have a RIGHT to be mainstreamed. They have a RIGHT.................................

A childs rights stop at my nose. But kids are not responsible; hence the name and coonotation child. But, by law, their parents are. But this is one of those things that are made more complicated by State and Fed so that demanding parents (no, I know it's not all of them) be responsible for their kids is not going to be a coursse of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 12:36 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,610,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
A childs rights stop at my nose.
No, a child's rights end wherever a judge says they do and are only limited by when you run out of money.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:11 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,405 times
My dad was a teacher and principal in Maine for many years then moved to Hartford, CT for better pay. He taught in the north Hartford school system. He went from a school that was 99% caucasian to a school that was 99% African American. He was the principal and special education swing teacher of the school within a school. All the kids that couldn't make it in the regular school, for all the reasons mentioned in previous posts here, went to the prefab buildings adjoining the main school. He was mostly a disciplinarian and had to call these kids mothers daily/weekly. These same kids were afraid of their mothers too. The fathers were either in prison or absent from many of these kids lives. It was one of the toughest school systems in the country then, 60's to 70's, and is still the same today. If he could get even one child to graduate from 8th grade and go on to finish high school was a major accomplishment. He met one prior student once who owned his own gas station. That was it.

I guess my point is that back then, there was a system for these types of students and they didn't get to go back to the main building with the regular kids until they showed improvement. It was just called Special Ed. Some students were receptive to this special learning and would transfer back but mostly they just kept these kids away from the rest because of learning disabilities, violent behavior, etc.

My dad's worst problems in Maine when teaching was students chewing gum, interrupting class to be funny, not doing their homework and being late for class. His first month in Hartford, he collected knives, drugs and other weapons from some of the worst students.

I'm sure times have changed and Maine has a lot of the same problems now that inner city school systems have because of technology, the prevalence of drugs and educational budgeting limitations of the day.

Old 12-02-2012, 01:16 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,194 times
Activist judges?

Old 12-02-2012, 03:32 PM

996 posts, read 837,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I think it's wrong for the vast majority of well-behaved students to have to miss out on learning because of a minority of those with out-of-control, off the wall misbehavior even if it's caused by genetics....and teachers or ed techs under physical attack?! Is this acceptable in any teaching/learning environment?

Old 12-27-2012, 10:47 AM

58 posts, read 74,910 times
How things have changed

It's depressing to read this thread. I don't know how bad it really is compared to the places I have been (such as NY) but that really has no relevance does it?. I guess this is what you get when you start heading in the direction of political correctness. I was one of those kids that had an issue in public schools but it never got out of hand due to the fact that our teachers had my respect as did my parents. I may have pushed the envelope many times but I knew there were limits and repercussions for crossing the invisible line.

I guess if folks had set a line in the sand I would have crossed it but there wasn't a defined line and so I didn't look to find it. All I had was my own common sense and an authority figure to direct me. If a law had been passed to say that teachers or parents couldn't react to my bad behavior, that would have been the safety net that would have allowed me to ruin myself. A young man can do some stupid stuff when he has no limits.

Government oversight in the discussion of morality is causing more harm than good IMO.

Old 02-24-2013, 11:34 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,527 times
February 24 update Superintendent: Maine

Old 02-27-2013, 04:53 AM

3,015 posts, read 4,870,300 times
I think this is ridiculous. Because of one, 120 had their education stopped. The Legislature must be a painfull place to work. I mean, when they drill that hole in the back of your head to remove 60% of you brains.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:19 AM

885 posts, read 1,188,552 times
My late wife was a teacher and a damn good one. Teacher of the year one year and passed her national teachers exam which meant she could teach any where in the country without having to pass the local exams. Teaching was her passion. She loved kids so much. I think she loved teaching more than me sometimes. I once figured out her REAL take home pay. At the time she was making around $62,000. But she regularly worked well past school hours. She also worked at home and on weekends doing class prep. If you discounted all the OT hours she wasn't paid she was actually making around $25,000. She was also threatened a few times in class by punk kids(she taught 7th and 8th grades.) Nothing she could do about it. It really pissed me off! Many times I walked thru the grounds to get to her class room and kinda felt threatened myself. So many kids cussing and the f word was sooooo prevelent. So as you can imagine, I have a lot of repect for our teahers! And they need to teach and not feel intimidated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or