Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,405,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I agree with most of what you say; however, I really don't think Stacy Grasky is trying to make a moral statement or discriminatory judgment about living together vs. getting married in her denial of in-state tuition. Marriage would be considered a legal commitment of being planted in Maine with a husband with Maine roots and less likelihood (at least theoretically) of just packing up and heading back to TX.
I did not infer that Staci Grasky herself had made a discriminatory judgment. Others had brought up the marriage issue, so I thought it was something the OP should look into (not whether she should get married, but that she should inquire with an attorney whether it's discriminatory for the college to discriminate between married and unmarried couples). Also, in my post I clearly stated that it "could" be considered discriminatory--not whether or not it was. I do not know Maine state law pertaining to that issue (I'm in Michigan as you might surmise). Clearly, had she gotten married that would have bolstered her case as to residency and intent, but she may be able to present a sufficient case nonetheless.

The main point was that the OP needs to read the full written policy for herself and not rely on what someone tells her about the policy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 03:23 PM

1,884 posts, read 2,894,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I did not infer that Staci Grasky herself had made a discriminatory judgment. Others had brought up the marriage issue, so I thought it was something the OP should look into (not whether she should get married, but that she should inquire with an attorney whether it's discriminatory for the college to discriminate between married and unmarried couples). Also, in my post I clearly stated that it "could" be considered discriminatory--not whether or not it was. I do not know Maine state law pertaining to that issue (I'm in Michigan as you might surmise). Clearly, had she gotten married that would have bolstered her case as to residency and intent, but she may be able to present a sufficient case nonetheless.

The main point was that the OP needs to read the full written policy for herself and not rely on what someone tells her about the policy.
Inferring and surmising don't always result in accurate information. I think she is smart enough to have read the full written policy. Hopefully she has read the college catalog and the written policy thoroughly. College Catalog

2011-2012 Catalog, PDF...press "page down" to page 29
2012-2013 Catalog, PDF...press "page down" to page 27

At this point she needs to present her case to someone other than Staci Grasky. She's already done that and ended up at a brick wall. Maybe she should write to Ronald G. Cantor, Ph.D., President.... certified mail, return receipt requested.

Here's the catalog and residency policy for York County Community College just in case she decides to try another school.
http://www.yccc.edu/LinkClick?fileti...xY%3D&tabid=86 (PDF page 11)

Old 12-09-2012, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

If you really want to go to school next semester, you may have to go on and pay the higher tuition and get the overcharge refunded. Just give the school written notice that you are doing so under protest, that you are a Maine resident, and that by doing so you do not intend to restart the "year of residency".
Hi suzy_q You've offered some very comprehensive advice. The above paragraph is flashing proceed with caution lights if not waving red flags. What do you think would be her chances of ever getting any money refunded? She's already protesting and she could find herself in a position to start her year of Maine residency all over again. If it were all up to her, we wouldn't have this thread. She's already protested and let Staci Gaskey know how she feels. Has it changed anything?

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
You are being treated in an ugly & unethical way by the state IMO. I'm sorry that you are going through this. There's no excuse for it & anyone who read that bullcrap letter sent to this young women by the state darn well knows what they are doing to her.

Thanks for posting the "back & forth" with the state. That really cleared up the issue for me & left no doubt about what "game" the state is playing.
I don't know about ugly but it does seem unethical. I guess ugly could be true when you consider what someone else already pointed out: Legal citizen, you have to fight forever to be considered a "resident" and get in state tuition. Not a legal citizen? By all means, hell, let's PAY for the school for you!

There is something seriously wrong with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
From Staci Grasky's email to you:
"As a key portion of our policy states: "If the student is enrolled in an academic program, as defined by SMCC, it will be presumed that the student is in Maine for educational purposes and that the student is not in Maine to establish a domicile as a permanent resident." "

You need to get a full copy of their written policy so you can read it for yourself. It's clear that the burden of proof is upon you to establish that you moved to become a permanent resident, and that you did not move for educational purposes.
(Who in their right mind would move to another state to attend a community college anyway?)

Contact your state representative and/or state senator to see if they will intervene on your behalf. You might also consider hiring an attorney to make your case. It could be construed as discriminatory if they are denying you because you are simply not married and are living with your boyfriend.

You still need to fully establish that enrolling in college was incidental to your move, not the reason for your move. Good luck.
THAT should be what the state should take in to consideration. Who the hell would move to another state to go to community college? Seriously, I would do as mainebrokerman says and start squeaking...get that oil.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:10 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
here's a different angle- if all else fails, you could try this....

if, you are being denied partly because of residency or not being married.....

set up a meeting with a top manager, someone you havent talked to before, look them straight in the eye and tell them you and your lesbian "partner" have been denied the right to be married, until this year....and you feel you are still being denied and discriminated against.....tell them you are furious, and will start writing letters to the editors of the portland press herald,,, you are being "shunned" because of who you are...

they will back off quickly..

Old 12-09-2012, 07:07 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Hi suzy_q You've offered some very comprehensive advice. The above paragraph is flashing proceed with caution lights if not waving red flags. What do you think would be her chances of ever getting any money refunded? She's already protesting and she could find herself in a position to start her year of Maine residency all over again. If it were all up to her, we wouldn't have this thread. She's already protested and let Staci Gaskey know how she feels. Has it changed anything?
That's why I said, "If you really want to go to school next semester ..."

The semester will start whether the issue is resolved or not.

Of course, it would appear that the school has no leg to stand on if she defers starting for another semester. Why would someone live in the state for a year and not go to school if the only reason for being in the state is to go to school?

Another consideration is that the amount of additional tuition is about $1000 per semester for a 12 hour course load. The question is whether paying the additional tuition and competing the degree sooner will be far outweighed by getting to the desired career (and hopefully a higher paying job) faster.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:46 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
I don't want to break anyone's heart, but the University of Maine has been providing free educations (not in-state tuition) for many foreign students for decades. Then of course there are the "diversity" scholarships and athletic scholarships that provide free educations to out of state students. If you can't get in-state tuition and don't find yourself eligible for a free education, I'd advise you declare yourself an illegal alien, I'm not sure if we totally or partially bankroll them yet.

Old 12-10-2012, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's why I said, "If you really want to go to school next semester ..."

The semester will start whether the issue is resolved or not.

Of course, it would appear that the school has no leg to stand on if she defers starting for another semester. Why would someone live in the state for a year and not go to school if the only reason for being in the state is to go to school?

Another consideration is that the amount of additional tuition is about $1000 per semester for a 12 hour course load. The question is whether paying the additional tuition and competing the degree sooner will be far outweighed by getting to the desired career (and hopefully a higher paying job) faster.
She very well may want to go to school next semester (January) and obviously the semester will start whether her problem is resolved or not, but I don't think there's a snowball's chance in he** that she'll ever see a refund. If she reenrolls for the semester that starts in January, she will pay the higher tuition and may find the one-year residency period starting over in May.

Yes, Maine resident $86 per credit hour vs. non-resident $172 per credit hour. For 12 hours, that would be $862 difference. According to the website, SMCC awards scholarships; maybe she could get one of those in the future; I think it may be too late for this school year. SMCC Foundation Awards More Than 195 Scholarships

Maybe she should try living on campus at Ft. Kent (tuition plus room and board) and having to come up with about $16,000 a year....oops... that's the cost for a Maine resident. Admissions: Tuition and Fees - University of Maine at Fort Kent

Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM

9 posts, read 15,748 times
I've been busy at work and have not had an opportunity to sit down and read all these replies, but I will catch up some time between researching options and writing to everyone and anyone with any connection to the residency policy in Maine.

In the meantime, I did see the last line in the post above and would like to point out that this isn't a contest to see who has to pay more for their education. I'm very happy for you that you can afford your tuition, congratulations. I'm trying to save money at community college, that's why I'm going there, and I went from paying $62/credit in Texas to $172 PLUS about $600/semester in some mandatory health insurance thing that I don't want or need. So don't look at this as Oh, she's only paying $172 per credit hour and complaining, boo hoo. Think of it instead as "she's paying $3,000+ per semester now instead of $744". Sounds a lot more substantial that way doesn't it? Especially when you add that to rent, bills, car payments, gas and all those other lovely necessary off-campus expenses that aren't conveniently included in tuition. When you look at it that way, I'm paying as much as you are to go to community college, not even a proper university. Depressing, huh?

Enough with the passive aggressive snark already. I'm way too stressed and busy to read that nonsense.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:30 PM

51 posts, read 90,280 times
Default in state tuition

Quote:
Originally Posted by poesuicide View Post
If a public college here refuses to give you in-state tuition regardless of meeting the criteria of their residency policy, are you just sol? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Or do I just suck it up and accept that I traded a nice comfortable affordable better education for this garbage in the name of love?
To me it makes perfect sense that there are residency requirements for instate tuition. The college is supported by taxpayers money. A person who has just arrived has not paid any taxes yet.

Are there any other states that allow you in-state tuition as soon as you've landed? I'm not saying there aren't, that's an honest question. I've heard of Maine students going to other state universities and they've had to pay out of state tuition until they lived there for a period of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine