Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,364,202 times

Advertisements

Had to dig this out to ask a question! First of all, where is Starwalker????? I have not seen her posting lately. It just occurred to me that she probably knows the answer I'm looking for.......

Anyway, with thoughts of being environmentally concious, what's the deal with paper towels? Is it best to not buy them at all, in which case I don't know how to clean my glass....or can they be used and recycled? Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 12:57 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,327,755 times
"In The Old Days" we used newspaper to clean windows and glass surfaces. We washed the surface with a rag dampened in soapy water and "polished" it dry with newspaper. We also used newspaper to "wrap" trash, making small bundles that way kept moisture from leaking as the paper soaked it up.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:52 PM

This may sound dumb, but we don't get the newspaper. In today's modern world of internet news up the wazoo every morning, I just don't subscribe! And I do kindof miss the black fingertips and smell of ink.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,625,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Had to dig this out to ask a question! First of all, where is Starwalker????? I have not seen her posting lately. It just occurred to me that she probably knows the answer I'm looking for.......

Anyway, with thoughts of being environmentally concious, what's the deal with paper towels? Is it best to not buy them at all, in which case I don't know how to clean my glass....or can they be used and recycled? Any thoughts?
Just surfaced after getting the last part of a book off to press. WHEW! this is an annual insanity called the Core Sound Waterfowl Museum & Heritage Center yearbook... We build and send it to press in pieces, from the "outside in"...that is covers go first, then the first and last pages (16 at a time...) leaving the centerfold for the Waterfowl Weekend festival (the first weekend in Dec.) for which the book is published.

Next step is out to supper and a drink! LOL

I have not bought paper towels regularly in years. I have a roll that I got somewhere, for something, sitting in my craft room and keep forgetting to grab it when I am painting. Most of my rags have paint on them... LOL

But yeah, rags and newspaper for the windows... or dry with rags too. Don't you have those "freebie" ad papers there? just tons of classifieds...maybe a bit of old news? Some places they get delivered (one of my odd jobs once...) and some places, like here, you just pick them up off the free rack at the grocers.

I got K a squeegee when he lived with me...a small one like at the gas station... he used to "wipe" our windows as well with that as I did with newspaper...

Old 11-13-2007, 03:37 PM

Hi Star! I never thought about a squeegee! Great idea. We do have the free papers, but I've never found a use for them. Internet......

Thanks, Ladies!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 PM

Default How I save this time of year...

November 23 - National Buy Nothing Day
National Buy Nothing Day is almost upon us!
But even better than "celebrating" Buy Nothing Day is taking the time to re-think your priorities.

I believe that the consumer culture that is shoved at us from every medium is not only hazardous to our pocketbooks, but to our health and that of our Mother Earth as well. Perhaps if more of us lived by the "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or Do without" maxim the marketplace would respond with better-made goods that would last longer. Or not... But I for one feel much better about my low-impact consumer attitude, as coupled with my attempts to live a more basic, simple life.

Starting Thanksgiving day I normally do not set foot in any commercial establishment other than the grocery store, gas station, post office and -- in an emergency -- a drug store. No restaurants, no department stores, no big box stores, no craft stores, no hardware stores, and certainly not WalMart. And in the 10 years I have been doing this I have found that (for me at least) this makes the month much calmer and me much less stressed. I don't have to deal with parking lot angst and space-rage. There is no standing in interminable long lines with crying children and foul-mouthed "adults."

And I don't go out with the horde on December 26 to circle, vulture like, in search of the ultimate bargain. Yeah, it's great to save a few bucks on marked down holiday decor items and such but there will still be plenty in a day or two, after the insanity has subsided. Trust me on that.

And maybe you don't need it anyway <g>.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:26 PM

4,112 posts, read 6,489,124 times
But Star.. Wal-mart is my grocery store.. what's a girl to do?

Old 11-19-2007, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
But Star.. Wal-mart is my grocery store.. what's a girl to do?
get a prescription for Valium first? LOL

I have a very hard time dealing with that store in the best of times... it's a once-a-month thing at most...and I am moving away even from that. I don't expect anyone to agree with me -- especially on a "frugal" thread -- but I honestly do not think I save much there. I have to go way out of my way, (more gas) and have to stop at an other store or two anyway, 'cause at least the one near me ... well I don't like their meats and the veggies are pathetic. So if I value my time, as well as looking at the receipts, it seems that I am as well off going to my Lowes Foods on the way home from work (about 3 blocks out of my way) and Food Lion down the road from home (next to Post Office) even if things are a few cents higher.

With there just being me and the critters, our food is not THAT big a budget item. Your mileage may vary...

Old 11-19-2007, 07:02 PM

837 posts, read 1,699,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
November 23 - National Buy Nothing Day
National Buy Nothing Day is almost upon us!
But even better than "celebrating" Buy Nothing Day is taking the time to re-think your priorities.

I believe that the consumer culture that is shoved at us from every medium is not only hazardous to our pocketbooks, but to our health and that of our Mother Earth as well. Perhaps if more of us lived by the "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do or Do without" maxim the marketplace would respond with better-made goods that would last longer. Or not... But I for one feel much better about my low-impact consumer attitude, as coupled with my attempts to live a more basic, simple life.

Starting Thanksgiving day I normally do not set foot in any commercial establishment other than the grocery store, gas station, post office and -- in an emergency -- a drug store. No restaurants, no department stores, no big box stores, no craft stores, no hardware stores, and certainly not WalMart. And in the 10 years I have been doing this I have found that (for me at least) this makes the month much calmer and me much less stressed. I don't have to deal with parking lot angst and space-rage. There is no standing in interminable long lines with crying children and foul-mouthed "adults."

And I don't go out with the horde on December 26 to circle, vulture like, in search of the ultimate bargain. Yeah, it's great to save a few bucks on marked down holiday decor items and such but there will still be plenty in a day or two, after the insanity has subsided. Trust me on that.

And maybe you don't need it anyway <g>.
I do agree with this! We just don't need to BUY so much stinky useless stuff! Bad for the pocketbook, bad for the environment, and absolutely silly!

Old 11-20-2007, 07:10 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,332,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
get a prescription for Valium first? LOL

I have a very hard time dealing with that store in the best of times... it's a once-a-month thing at most...and I am moving away even from that. I don't expect anyone to agree with me -- especially on a "frugal" thread -- but I honestly do not think I save much there. I have to go way out of my way, (more gas) and have to stop at an other store or two anyway, 'cause at least the one near me ... well I don't like their meats and the veggies are pathetic. So if I value my time, as well as looking at the receipts, it seems that I am as well off going to my Lowes Foods on the way home from work (about 3 blocks out of my way) and Food Lion down the road from home (next to Post Office) even if things are a few cents higher.

With there just being me and the critters, our food is not THAT big a budget item. Your mileage may vary...
I agree with you. I do not care for Walmart, never have and probably never will. I do my grocery shopping at Hannaford and only go to Wally World for a few things. Walmart produce is horrible...bruised, full of fruit flies, ect. YUK!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine