Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 07:26 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
too many of us drive by these local farmers markets, and will pick up, less quality, goods at a supermarket,,, or go to chain restaurants, than support a locallly owned restaurant..
this has a huge effect on local ecenomies, not only does the local business,,may close,,but they dont use, the local contractors, pay taxes in the town (probly have to move)
thiers quite a domino affect when it comes to economics.

i dont boycott in the big box stores, by any means, but local support goes a long way and is the lifeblood of a small town..
I do agree with this. When I have a choice, I like to give my money to the little guy. I don't feel any obligation to support a big business that pays its CEO's a few hundred times what it pays most of its employees. That said, the economic situation makes it hard to bypass the low prices found in the big box stores.

Also, I don't know how farmers in Maine price their produce. This is what I have seen here in Philladelphia: Two/three years ago, all summer long and into the Fall, I bought from the farmers markets (mostly from the Amish farms west of here). But more recently "buy local" has become kind of a political/moral issue and prices have really shot up. I know that farmers need to make a living. I'm very pleased if the "buy local" and "buy organic" movements help the farmers out. And I believe their food is healthier. But for someone who has to watch their nickels, it's getting a bit pricey and becoming more an occasional treat than the regular place to shop. What to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 10:34 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
... Also, I don't know how farmers in Maine price their produce. ...
I know that this post will insult some folks.

I do not intend to be insulting, these are simply my observations, as gained from living in Maine and being a vendor at a Farmer's Market [FM].

I match the prices of the other vendors at our FM.

I have been hesitant to under-cut any other vendor, being new at this and not wanting to upset anyone. Now after a full season of being a vendor, and having spoken with the other vendors; I have learned that each different FM has it's own pricing. Most of the vendors are members of multiple FMs, and they are not consistent with their prices from one FM to another. Each vendor seems to encourage each other to work out reasonable prices and to not be worried about under-cutting each other. But still most vendors will match each other's prices.

Two of the vendors at the FM that I attend also are members of FMs in Portland, and they have each told me that they get 50% more for the same produce down there.

I am glad to just be doing one FM, and not having to keep track of four or six FMs [and all of their customers].

Some of these farms have three vans that they load up, and they all go to different FMS. What a zoo!

It would appear that after years of these FMs running, they have pretty much worked out, how much each community will pay for an organic tomato.

Residents of each community face a different cost-of-living; where in Portland customers are accustomed to seeing one price for a tomato, the customers in Bar Harbor would freak out at those same prices. And over in Unity it is cheaper still, and on it goes.

The bigger the city, the higher the municipal services, the higher the taxes, the higher the prices.

CSAs where they have a dozen people working and load out three vans each day all going to different FMs; need to sell-out each day. Anything they bring back at the end of the day is that evening's meal and then hog-feed, because the following morning it starts all over again.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:36 PM

264 posts, read 397,945 times
Maine's population has remained relatively constant for many years, and even though I moved away in 1998, I don't think much has changed.

There aren't many really exciting career opportunities for younger people, the state is geographically isolated from much of the rest of the country, add those factors to the long winters and generally short warm season, and major companies shy away from coming into Maine. Larger companies in need of a large skilled work force opt more for warmer areas that offer fine housing opportunities and cultural and educational opportunities that exceed what Maine has to offer. Typically, Portland would be the area companies might look at, but not many do.

It is probably a fine retreat for retirees who don't mind the winters or for families with some financial means who can afford having a home in Maine and still having the means to get away during the not-so-wonderful months.

Development in the state won't be alarmingly fast unless and until there is something more than there presently is in place to attract young well-educated people and businesses who can attract large numbers of skilled workers, as well as opportunity that keeps the youth who are born in the state here, but who leave and go elsewhere for more and better career opportunities.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:46 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,856 times
I agree. Once Wlamart is around for awhile they start to treat their employees very shabbily or at least that is the experience I have heard of in FL and NC and other places .... they have to FIGHT to build stores. There's a reason for that. I like your optimism brokerman I want to live BY YOU.

Quote:
maybe im an idealist, but so what?

right now, im willing to bet there are thousands, looking to move to maine,,not only for a home,,but to buy or open thier own business,,this is the american dream..
ive seen firsthand, folks from other states do this, expand an under-utilized business, and create new jobs, or buy a vacant commercial lot or building, build a business, again, creating not only a new lifestyle for themselves, but new jobs for fellow-mainers.
however, there is much to this picture, since the "blue-laws" were abolished years ago, that opened the floodgates, for huge, national chain companies,,yes, that do employ mainers, yet, usually thier profits are taken out of state.

i'll give you a clear example of what i mean,,,
say im on my way to walmart, i need a vacuum, and while im there, im going to pick up a few groceries, and while im there i need a few vegetables, and fruit

on the way to wal-mart i drive by a farmers market, local farmers with excellent produce and goods, organics, all locally grown/ produced.

too many of us drive by these local farmers markets, and will pick up, less quality, goods at a supermarket,,, or go to chain restaurants, than support a locallly owned restaurant..
this has a huge effect on local ecenomies, not only does the local business,,may close,,but they dont use, the local contractors, pay taxes in the town (probly have to move)
thiers quite a domino affect when it comes to economics.

i dont boycott in the big box stores, by any means, but local support goes a long way and is the lifeblood of a small town..

Old 12-01-2007, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Ironically, and maybe even sadly, this is one of the reasons Maine remains as it has been for decades.

The battle between local interests and corporate has held many companies from even bothering coming to Maine, and even though it keeps the communities locally colorful and quaint, it presents few opportunities for the kind of growth that pumps up a state's economy.

Maine has to decide...and I think most of its residents already have...what are they willing to do to provide opportuity for growth? Not a great deal it appears. Those who move in and claim a piece of the place then begin to lobby and fight to keep others who want to do the same out. Rising property taxes force many locals out of homes they have had for generations, and outsiders with means buy the properties then seal off others.

Maine will always be quaint with little opportunity for growth. It is a service economy....fast food, tourism, and the usual strip corporate businesses seen in every other burg in the country.

It is what it is. Some love it, and some don't.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
... Development in the state won't be alarmingly fast unless and until there is something more than there presently is in place to attract young well-educated people and businesses who can attract large numbers of skilled workers, as well as opportunity that keeps the youth who are born in the state here, but who leave and go elsewhere for more and better career opportunities.
Like music to the ears.

Old 12-01-2007, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
... The battle between local interests and corporate has held many companies from even bothering coming to Maine, and even though it keeps the communities locally colorful and quaint, it presents few opportunities for the kind of growth that pumps up a state's economy.
aaah yes

Old 12-02-2007, 04:51 PM

10 posts, read 25,448 times
Should I sing and dance, or just hum quietly to myself........Growth happens, controling and managing it properly is the key. But reading some of these posts and explanations, I would like to sincerly offer you an idea I know you're all overlooking and might not ever think about. But you had better take heed. And where will Portland, Bangor, Maine overall be in 20 yrs? Well you're going to think it was annexed by another planet. Weather and those other things are very important but also the last thing you need to worry about, for now. Two high factors always fall on the table when you ask someone why they are moving, econimics and crime. Seldom do you hear anyone from Calif. say "I have grown to hate those soft sanded sunny beaches", or from Colo." yeah those Aspen ski slopes just don't do it for me anymore". No, more often it's again economics and quality of life (crime). Face it, we're humans beings, which means we are inherently lazy. If where you're at currently is workable, who wants to spend ten grand and go through the major grief of moving to relocate their family elsewhere just because it's 10 degrees colder/warmer. Here's another factor you're not looking at, that's causing people to migrate here. I know because it was a huge reason for me moving here. It's a major reason seemingly half of Calif. moved to Colo. -quality of life (crime), economics. They go hand in hand. And a HUGE amount of the crime growing in cities across the USA is coming from our good friends south of the border. Maine and/or New England is in it's infancy regarding this issue. Actually to be blunt, you have absolutely -no clue- as to what's headed your way. And it's like a bad draft, by the time you locate and plug it, the room is already cold. I know, you're going to tell me that won't happen here, we won't stand for it, or we'll make them so unwelcome they won't stay long. Trust me, in the last 20-25 years, I've heard the very same words coming out peoples mouths from almost every city west of Conn. So how does this figure into your growth? Well take me as a perfect example. If someone would have told me twenty years ago I'd be living in Maine, my response would have been, " yeah me and Elvis both". Now I could be off in as much as two or three percent, but based on general calculations of what has happened to the rest of the United States, here's whats going to happen here due to people seeking a better -quality of life-(less crime). In ten to twelve years from now you're going to be able to attribute 15-20% of your growth to this issue anually, in fifteen years, 25-30% of your anual growth to it. And if you think you can make them feel unwelcome enough, trust me, they don't care if you do. Because once they get a foothold, they don't care to hang out with you anyway, they'll hang out with themselves. As I said, Maine/New England is in it's infancy. But I swear to you on everything healthy and holy to me, it's at your front door. Ok, I've spent way too much of your time, so I'll now take a sledge hammer and dis-assemble my soap box,,,so I can burn it this chilly night.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a51ampFuse View Post
Should I sing and dance, or just hum quietly to myself........Growth happens, controling and managing it properly is the key. But reading some of these posts and explanations, I would like to sincerly offer you an idea I know you're all overlooking and might not ever think about. But you had better take heed. And where will Portland, Bangor, Maine overall be in 20 yrs? Well you're going to think it was annexed by another planet. Weather and those other things are very important but also the last thing you need to worry about, for now. Two high factors always fall on the table when you ask someone why they are moving, econimics and crime. Seldom do you hear anyone from Calif. say "I have grown to hate those soft sanded sunny beaches", or from Colo." yeah those Aspen ski slopes just don't do it for me anymore". No, more often it's again economics and quality of life (crime). Face it, we're humans beings, which means we are inherently lazy. If where you're at currently is workable, who wants to spend ten grand and go through the major grief of moving to relocate their family elsewhere just because it's 10 degrees colder/warmer. Here's another factor you're not looking at, that's causing people to migrate here. I know because it was a huge reason for me moving here. It's a major reason seemingly half of Calif. moved to Colo. -quality of life (crime), economics. They go hand in hand. And a HUGE amount of the crime growing in cities across the USA is coming from our good friends south of the border. Maine and/or New England is in it's infancy regarding this issue. Actually to be blunt, you have absolutely -no clue- as to what's headed your way. And it's like a bad draft, by the time you locate and plug it, the room is already cold. I know, you're going to tell me that won't happen here, we won't stand for it, or we'll make them so unwelcome they won't stay long. Trust me, in the last 20-25 years, I've heard the very same words coming out peoples mouths from almost every city west of Conn. So how does this figure into your growth? Well take me as a perfect example. If someone would have told me twenty years ago I'd be living in Maine, my response would have been, " yeah me and Elvis both". Now I could be off in as much as two or three percent, but based on general calculations of what has happened to the rest of the United States, here's whats going to happen here due to people seeking a better -quality of life-(less crime). In ten to twelve years from now you're going to be able to attribute 15-20% of your growth to this issue anually, in fifteen years, 25-30% of your anual growth to it. And if you think you can make them feel unwelcome enough, trust me, they don't care if you do. Because once they get a foothold, they don't care to hang out with you anyway, they'll hang out with themselves. As I said, Maine/New England is in it's infancy. But I swear to you on everything healthy and holy to me, it's at your front door. Ok, I've spent way too much of your time, so I'll now take a sledge hammer and dis-assemble my soap box,,,so I can burn it this chilly night.
Truth be known, a whole lot of people moved from California to Colorado because the aerospace industry in Orange County went bust. Large numbers of people lost jobs. They were able to sell their houses for reasonable sums and move to Colorado where they could buy nicer homes at cheaper prices and find jobs where they could make decent livings.

Old 12-02-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a51ampFuse View Post
... Two high factors always fall on the table when you ask someone why they are moving, econimics and crime.

... Here's another factor you're not looking at, that's causing people to migrate here. I know because it was a huge reason for me moving here. It's a major reason seemingly half of Calif. moved to Colo. -quality of life (crime), economics.
I can agree with these two points: economics and crime.

You and I would state it differently of course. To my ears you sound a bit too tin-foil-hattish, a bit too alarmist if you will. Though you do have a point.

High population density brings high crime along with it. I also see the higher taxes that go along with the higher population density, more municipal services to service the higher population takes more public monies.

My ears also hear a bit of racism in your speech. I am sure that it was unintentional. I think that poor people, undisciplined people, uneducated people happen in all colours and flavours. When you have a high density of poor undisciplined and uneducated then you will have higher crime. I am not entirely convinced that it is brought on due to proximity to our Southern border.

Our society today has a lot of unwed mothers raising a lot of children without fathers, and really without families. We have been involved with the state foster-care system, raising foster children. The state group homes focus a lot of attention on trying to treat the abuse these children have been given, while spoiling them with every toy and gadget known to man. Foster children are taught their 'rights' and how to manipulate case-workers. Our society is out of control in many different directions.

And so many of our children are being raised by the TV, by MySpace, and by video games.

Are these going to be productive adults? Really? In the end it all goes back to raising the crime rate of our society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine