U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-04-2007, 10:58 AM
 
411 posts, read 553,439 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
treeluvr

you make many valid and interesting points. Remember the Eagles Song from Hotel California, 'The Last Resort' ....some of the lyrics said, 'you call some place Paradise, Kiss it goodbye'........

Maine's population and all of New England's population are growing slower then the national average. New Hampshire has seen the fastest population growth especially in the southern part of the state- and some residents are none too happy about the new sub divisions, shopping centers, big box stores and sprawl.

Southern Maine, metro Portland has grown slowly over the last 20 years. I would not be too unduly concerned-yet.

Over here in Connecticut, the states eastern part, known as the 'Quiet corner' Tolland, Windham and parts of New London county are currently the fastest growing in the state. Small towns, little traffic, farms, forests, low costs, high quality of life.

But growth from now till 2011 is seen from about 1-2.5% in most towns. And the zoning is very strict (As it is in Maine)

My visions are this for New England, steady but unspectacular growth in the next 5-10 years. With Vermont growing the slowest. Changes to this scenario are mostly predicated on climate change, and how well the economy performs.

Weather that is growing increasing hotter and drier in the middle of the nation and far west, could possibly see many coming to New England as 'climatic refugees'. Florida's problems with climate change are just beginning.

Time will tell. In eastern CT we are seeing some come from the gulf coastal states, California, Florida, Texas the Washington DC area, northern NJ and Long Island. For now only those from Florida and the gulf coast might be considered 'climate escapees'. The others are wanting out of a hectic lifestyle, traffic, crime, rude people and high costs.

In the future if the weather continues to heat up, all of New England may see growth in population from people wanting out of these hot areas. Florida in years to come will have issues with sea rise- high costs, and the amount to insure a home is staggering.

The middle of the country was an inferno this summer-if these climatic trends continue- New England could be considered a desirable place to live.
With far milder winters, but also problems with hotter summers. Portland and southern Maine in 20 years could see faster growth, if the weather heats up elsewhere in an alarming manner.
Geez, it seems as though the population of the "quiet corner" of CT is growing at a much faster rate than that unfortuneatly! We are from Tolland/Vernon originally, and just went back for Thanksgiving! Yuck! There were so many new housing developments, no empty houses like we see here in Maine, and just buildings going up everywhere in the Vernon/Manchester area! They had buildings (like the old Stop and Shop plaza) in Vernon that had stood empty for years, and now due to lack of space to build (FINALLY) they are putting businesses in the old buildings. While I think that's great as it were, it means as well that there just isn't any land left, people must be moving in to support these new businesses as well. Growing up in Tolland we had some "rich kids" but very few. Most families were comfortable middle class. Now I've seen my brother's graduating class which seemed to be filled with "rich kids" who had it all. It wasn't that way even 13 years ago... scary how fast growth seems there.

I don't really think that the northern part of Maine, the "real" Maine if you want to be honest will ever really see that same sort of growth. I'm thankful for this. For the most part, it is really different here. We don't have the same sort of job opportunities, the milder weather, the available high end housing, the "stuff" to do, etc. that CT and MA have. I'm glad. Those are reasons that will stop people from moving here. Don't get me wrong, I want people to come to Maine, those that are able to handle it, and are here for the right reasons... but I never want to see it become like CT. NEVER. CT is scary. I won't go into WalMart there anymore because I can't understand them... I have nothing against other people of any sort, but I like clerks that talk to ME, not other clerks, and speak English, not other languages, as though the customer were not even in front of them. And yes, I've been to Northern Maine, where they speak French, and it's not near that bad...

And I'm rethinking this post in a way, cuz I don't want to get slammed with people thinking I'm horrible, but it's the way I feel, so it's out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
 
Location: Maine
7,711 posts, read 7,602,260 times
Reputation: 8231
I understand what you're trying to express KAF. After being in Massachusetts, (south shore) for just a little while I was losing it. It has become a very dangerous place, and people don't look you in the face, if you meet anyone's eyes it's like a confrontation. There are still nice places in Ma. but I was in a city that was awful. I like the fact that when I go to a local store, people know me, and know my name. The girls at the pharmacy even know my D.O.B. and the pharmacist lives next door. Where we were "down there" My daughter and son in law where the only people that spoke english. My son in laws family (most of them) speak english, but what was once a neighborhood of portuguese families that took care of their property has now become a refuge for illegal aliens. Drugs and violence are everyday. I was never so glad as when we crossed the state line on our way home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,535 posts, read 27,180,026 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
How many people live in and around Argyle?
I do not recall I think it was around 160 'in' the township of Argyle.

They 'dis-organized' the corporate township in 1934 as they were experiencing a loss of residents and realized that maintaining a handfull of guys on salary is what runs the property taxes up.

At the time they were down to 130 people living in Argyle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,535 posts, read 27,180,026 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddinAroundFarm View Post
...
I don't really think that the northern part of Maine, the "real" Maine if you want to be honest will ever really see that same sort of growth. I'm thankful for this. For the most part, it is really different here. We don't have the same sort of job opportunities, the milder weather, the available high end housing, the "stuff" to do, etc. that CT and MA have. I'm glad. Those are reasons that will stop people from moving here. Don't get me wrong, I want people to come to Maine, those that are able to handle it, and are here for the right reasons... but I never want to see it become like CT. NEVER. CT is scary. I won't go into WalMart there anymore because I can't understand them... I have nothing against other people of any sort, but I like clerks that talk to ME, not other clerks, and speak English, not other languages, as though the customer were not even in front of them. And yes, I've been to Northern Maine, where they speak French, and it's not near that bad...

And I'm rethinking this post in a way, cuz I don't want to get slammed with people thinking I'm horrible, but it's the way I feel, so it's out there.
You are a woman after my own heart

A well written post!

Nicely put.

I do not want to see un-controlled 'growth' either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 12:23 PM
 
Location: makin' bacon
3,340 posts, read 1,937,684 times
Reputation: 1455
Quote
"You buy trash bags?"
"We have re-useable garbage cans that we fill, and leave beside the road. They are emptied each week and given back to us to re-use again."

I'm sorry I took this post as sarcasm when it so clearly wasn't meant to be as us city folk have never heard of a trash can before.

My post regarding the use of smileys was not directed at a specific person just the general vibe of some of the threads. Those with differing opinions about how fabulous Maine is are sometimes referred to as trolls and our experiences said to be based on fallacies or our quest for material goods. The financial burden of living here is one of the reasons we want to leave, but not the ONLY reason. I am not in search of more ipods, a McMansion, a Volvo or anything of the sort. As an engineer my husband does make more than the average Maine salary. Does that mean we are money grubbing, no it doesn't. Just as some are content to work the land because they enjoy it, he enjoys designing computer systems that will make life on board Navy ships easier for the sailors. It is possible that career minded individuals actually LIKE what they do and not just the salaries that go with them. Perhaps those working hard and saving tons of money are doing so because they want to retire early and not because they want to buy things. There are many things considered when making a move, finances are a part of it and just as we wouldn't move to/from a place just to escape crime, nor would we just consider finances alone.
Once again, I did not join this forum looking for a fight, if I wanted that I would be over on the politics forum. I was not trying to stir anything up, I was just stating our Maine financial experience as different from others here as not everyone looking to move here is planning on living in the few low tax areas(which by the way only applies to property taxes and not the 8.5% state income tax rate).

Byand- if you agree w/Forest that perhaps most of us leaving are buying into the ipod ads and such, does that include you as you stated the financial hardship of raising 4 boys in Maine as your reason for leaving?
Just for the record I have a newer vehicle because we bought my other one used, it was 7 years old and having very expensive transmission issues. I traded it for a newer model of the same kind because of the cargo room and roll down rear window that make it easy to haul our dog around with us... not as a status symbol and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles either. My house is 150 years old and hardly qualifies as the best on the block and that certainly isn't a deciding factor when buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 01:03 PM
 
Location: West Michigan
12,142 posts, read 21,308,522 times
Reputation: 16167
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb71 View Post
Byand- if you agree w/Forest that perhaps most of us leaving are buying into the ipod ads and such, does that include you as you stated the financial hardship of raising 4 boys in Maine as your reason for leaving?
If you read some of the past threads you will see that while I sometimes do agree with Forest, I also disagree at least as often. I didn't indicate that you were in the class of chasing iPods ads or anything else, that was in a different post and not directed at you from what I could tell, As for stating financial hardship in raising 4 boys being the reason I am leaving. Never said that, I said it is tough to raise 4 boys here but that the main reason for leaving is advanced educational opportunities for my wife are not here. And no I don't have to leave to chase ads and have the TV dictate how I should be living.


Quote:
Just for the record I have a newer vehicle because we bought my other one used, it was 7 years old and having very expensive transmission issues. I traded it for a newer model of the same kind because of the cargo room and roll down rear window that make it easy to haul our dog around with us... not as a status symbol and it doesn't have all the bells and whistles either. My house is 150 years old and hardly qualifies as the best on the block and that certainly isn't a deciding factor when buying.
Never even tried to question your vehicle or your house, Just stated that whatever vehicle anybody downstate drives we up North pay the same or more excise as you do for the same vehicle. I could give 2 hoots if you drive a 2008 BMW X5 or a 1972 Dodge Dart. As for the house, I was just stating that in the incorporated towns up here we pay every bit as much in property taxes as downstate for the same amount of appraised value.

You are the one who implied that we who live in the North part of the state would be driving down unimproved roads, and not have much if it wasn't for the generosity of those who live in the Southern part of the state and pay the high taxes so we could be hillbilly's up here. Sorry but that isn't the case. As a family we also make well above the state household income and can relate what you are saying about sometimes doing what you do because you love it. If it happens to be in a job that they pay well for, it isn't my or my wifes fault, just as loving engineering and having extra isn't a character flaw of your Husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-04-2007, 05:26 PM
 
411 posts, read 553,439 times
Reputation: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
You are a woman after my own heart

A well written post!

Nicely put.

I do not want to see un-controlled 'growth' either.
Thank you Forest, and of course we're alike, that's why we all get along so well.

And yes, sometimes even I disagree with Forest. lol Just not this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Log "cabin" west of Bangor
2,976 posts, read 3,292,066 times
Reputation: 2583
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I do not recall I think it was around 160 'in' the township of Argyle.

They 'dis-organized' the corporate township in 1934 as they were experiencing a loss of residents and realized that maintaining a handfull of guys on salary is what runs the property taxes up.

At the time they were down to 130 people living in Argyle
According to the Gazetteer, Argyle boasts a whopping 253 residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-05-2007, 05:21 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
21,535 posts, read 27,180,026 times
Reputation: 8613
I think that about half of that number are folks who do not live here year-around.

The two properties that border mine to either side are owned by non-residents. My SIL owns the property across the road from us [she is non-resident], and of her three bordering properties only one is a resident [one resident, one cellphone company (Unicell) with a repeater tower, and one forester who lives up in Millinocket].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
 
2 posts, read 525 times
Reputation: 10
We are thinking of moving to Southern Maine from Southern California. We are tired of the crime here and the lack of seasonal weather. We have some concerns about the cost of heating our home in winter in Maine - when we start looking - we'll be looking for a smaller size home just so we don't need to heat up a larger home. I hear some folks pay a few hundred a month to heat homes in winter...or even more than that...unless you have a wood burning stove. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:23 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top