Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 05:52 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,482,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
... he tells us that he spent a lot of trips delivering 'refrigerator trailer', 'shipping container' whatever you wish to call them. 40 foot x 9'6" high and very solid built.
There is a very big difference between a refrigerator trailer ("reefer") and a shipping container. I don't have much info on how well the reefers hold up over time, but at least they are insulated and on wheels.

Lately, there's been a lot of interest in building with shipping containers, aka storage containers or cargo units. These have no wheels and are not insulated. Having had one in our driveway for storage up until about a year ago, I have first-hand knowledge. The corner posts and edge rails are very strong, but the currogated steel walls are subject to rot - and the roof subject to leakage - if the units are not rust-proofed and painted regularly. They also have this annoying habit of 'wicking' moisture up from the ground - as we found out when we discovered a good bit of mildew inside after a season. You want to avoid ground contact at all costs, and keep tabs on the condition of the roof, any roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 07:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,893,251 times
Shipping containers have good application to residential conversion — under certain conditions. However, they also have real limitations and pitfalls, some as Nor'Eastah has pointed out. The reason there are so many for sale is because they do deteriorate, substantially and ruinously. They don't really last long at all. They CAN be bought "refurbished" (for higher prices). Built mostly for transoceanic shipping they have usually taken on some salt-atmosphere cancer. Hard to completely eradicate ... very hard ... easy to cover up. Danger! Further, if you live in any proximity to salt-water, new cancer will appear unless you are ridiculously diligent ... easier to have a traditional structure.

Metal containers also 'sweat' badly in wet climates. Insulation is best accomplished by spray on foams ... which challenges access for repairs and patching. For the cost of a container a person can buy a Lot of wood for framing. I built my cabin-on-wheels on an RV trailer frame and used 1.5" thick solid wood walls layered with foam-board insulation then covered exterior with OSB sheeting, making an insulated sandwich in which the interior walls are natural wood planks. I then shingled the exterior with cedar starter shingles for a rustic effect. The interior wood walls absorb and retain the interior heat well and stay dry and healthy when left uncovered ... wonderful feel in a damp climate.

Insulated skirting under the frame to the ground is Mandatory in the winter, of course.

This cabin is H E A V Y ... it Can be moved but is NOT designed to be pulled up and down highways ... it DOES qualify as a Park Model RV, however, and as such is not required to ever be moved in many zoning definitions. In our area we need only be prepared to prove that no one occupies it continuously for more than 120 days at a time. All my son needs to do is leave occasionally for a night (or a week — depending on your local regulations) and then it starts over.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:30 AM

86 posts, read 484,095 times
Nullgeo, you beat me to my idea. haha
Did you drill a new well, or come off existing? Also wondering what you did for septic. I didn't want the extra expense of digging septic, so I looked at incinerator toilets. They really seem to work well. (Gray water I was going to use a removeable bladder) I visited the site mentioned earlier on this site and checked it out again on youtube.com. It was about the tumbleweed tiny house.
What is the size of yours? Also wondering if you ran plumbing and through floor. Could you post pictures!?

THanks!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico304 View Post
Nullgeo, you beat me to my idea. haha
Did you drill a new well, or come off existing? Also wondering what you did for septic. I didn't want the extra expense of digging septic, so I looked at incinerator toilets. They really seem to work well. (Gray water I was going to use a removeable bladder) I visited the site mentioned earlier on this site and checked it out again on youtube.com. It was about the tumbleweed tiny house.
What is the size of yours? Also wondering if you ran plumbing and through floor. Could you post pictures!?

THanks!
Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this ... I was literally hit by a car last week (me on my bicycle) ... little bit short on response for now, too ... typing one-handed.

I ran water and power from existing well at main house ... (pretty expensive run ... about 500 feet). Ran a gray water drain of perf-pipe from all drains, except toilet ... ran that gray water pipe shallow underground around yard perimeter, about 50', and terminated in a rock sump. We use bio-degradable soaps and all is good there.

Toilet is composter ... wouldn't want incinerator toilet, personally.

Cabin is in two sections to be legal:
1. on 8' x 32' trailer frame for 256 sq. ft.
2. 10' x 22' Cabana room addition for 220 sq. ft. more, plus 10' more of covered porch.

Rules vary state to state. Most places, Park Models have a separate classification, typically allowing up to about 400 sq ft. PLUS you can add Cabana Rooms of up to another 300 sq. ft. or so. Cabana Rooms are typically defined by their ability to be detached from trailer. I built mine to literally unscrew after removing only the roof ridge cap.

No pictures at the moment as I am pretty incapacitated after losing argument with hit and run car last week.

Hope you get some good from my description though. Best of luck.

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 AM

6,630 posts, read 13,535,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Sorry for the delay getting back to you on this ... I was literally hit by a car last week (me on my bicycle) ... little bit short on response for now, too ... typing one-handed.
Wow! That must have been awful. Will you have lasting damage? I hope you feel better quickly.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Wow! That must have been awful. Will you have lasting damage? I hope you feel better quickly.
Thanks for your thoughts. Don't want to be gruesome, but (since you asked ) nose, at septum, and half of both upper and lower lips ripped from attachment to skull ... few teeth gone, others twisted (eating soup through straw for this month), broken arm, extensive asphalt rash on face, head, hands, arms, legs. Consensus among family and friends is that it's good I took most damage to head, as it is my least vulnerable point — and the plastic surgery can only improve my poor previous appearance.

Jokes aside, it was a helluva good whack, but I have taken damage approximately this bad several times in my life, including in the war 40 years ago. I can do the recovery drill. I'll be fine. Harder at 60, but I'm in real good health and overall physical condition.

Delay in all my construction and landscaping projects is terribly frustrating for an old f--t who still can't sit still for more than 15 minutes. And the endless cold rain returns in less than 2 months here. Had plans to start converting a fairly large old, wooden cruiser to permanent shore-duty as another cabin down on my beach. Scratch that for now.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 AM

Nullgeo,

project sounds great, but I'm just hoping you get better. (mostly so you can get up to get a picture of cabin) hahaha I'M KIDDING!
Hope you are up and at'm soon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2008, 06:25 AM

278 posts, read 699,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico304 View Post
Nullgeo,

project sounds great, but I'm just hoping you get better. (mostly so you can get up to get a picture of cabin) hahaha I'M KIDDING!
Hope you are up and at'm soon!!!!!!!!!!!!
What does "rico" stand for?

Old 08-28-2008, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labamba View Post
What does "rico" stand for?
Rico was my dog's name. He recently passed away. Sure do miss him

Comes from:

Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act. Known as the "Rico" statute

A statute that works against the mob or any organized crime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: