U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-15-2007, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
86 posts, read 356,758 times
Reputation: 59
Default Build a cabin on a trailer???

I have a piece of land that doesn't allow a house to be built on it. I am allowed to put a camper on it though. Here is my though, I was going to purchase a heavy equipment trailer and build a small camp on it. Weight wise I'm well within limits, even using log siding outside and v match pine boards inside. (Flatbed trailers used for bulldozers) Heavy duty trailers can be towed with by dump trucks with an inexpensive permit that most every excavation company buys for a year. (I think total cost is 200 for year permit) It allows them to tow up to 11 1/2 feet wide I believe. I would build so it is 11 feet wide by approx. 22 - 24 feet long. Once in place, I have power pole set and would use propane for heat.
I'm thinking build a regular cabin that is insulated and built to spec of normal cabin. (maybe a little stronger for the trip) haha
Heat could be electric or propane. I would probably do 6inch joist just laid down on trailer bed. I could use that to run plumbing, electrical and gas line. It would be like a solid build trailer. Probably no bathroom, just put a nice porta potti on site. ONly about 75-85 a month. (Includes pumping.) Many camps in the area have porta potties. I think it would be like a camp on stilts, just on a trailer.
I'd have to do a small bladder under trailer for Grey water. No biggie though.
Skirt trailer with pressure treated plywood, just cover the plywood with that fake rock face that people use for foundations. Home Depot / Lowes carry it. Looks and feels real. I'd cover the tounge with a small porch and stairs.
What do you think????
Have you seen or heard of anything like this???
Just seems so much nicer than a cheaper built trailer.
any thoughts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM
 
483 posts, read 1,413,918 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico304 View Post
I have a piece of land that doesn't allow a house to be built on it. I am allowed to put a camper on it though.
Seems to me the first thing to find out is WHY no house can be built.
The reason might make the difference between having everybody 'look the other way' at your log camper, and having no choice but to invoke all sorts of rules and regulations to keep you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 02:53 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,841 posts, read 3,672,233 times
Reputation: 2388
There is a book, "Tiny Houses" (I'm struggling to remember the author, but I'll check and get back to you), that you will want to look at- they even have a few "houses" that are quite similar to what you are talking about. Even if they aren't exactly what you are looking for, the entire book is devoted to very small (and restricted) abodes that are completely livable, with TONS of "ah-hah!" kind of ideas that you might be inspired to incorporate into your cabin.

And if I really dig around here, I have the plans to a (towable) cabin that is 8'x 25' (I think)- built onto a trailer bed/frame, and really it's a cute little cottage. I'll see if I can locate it. *crosses fingers*

I think what you are thinking of is great- I'm sure that there must be similar cabins tucked into the wilderness all over Maine.

TinyHouses
Tiny Homes and Small Houses
Small House Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Northern Maine
6,137 posts, read 7,810,855 times
Reputation: 4142
Two ideas to consider:

1. You can buy a used refrigerated trailer 40 feet long for about $3,000. You can just about heat the thing with a candle. They are insulated top, bottom, sides and ends. A sawzall will create openings for insualted windows and doors and you would have a bigger building at lower cost. Just keep a Maine registration plate on it and you are good to go.

2. Unless you are only going to use it one mointh a year it's cheaper to buy a used porta potty than to rent one.

3. Down in Etna you can buy a very nice prefabricated building to put onto a used trailer frame. Check out Hill View Mini Barns, Storage Sheds, Garages, Camps, and Cottages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Maine
7,712 posts, read 7,671,676 times
Reputation: 8231
Wow! terrific ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:30 PM
 
Location: Cape Cod, MA
406 posts, read 1,152,822 times
Reputation: 250
I've seen this done. It was in Tinmouth VT...a little trailer that looked like a cabin on the outside. It was pretty cute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:34 PM
 
378 posts, read 723,031 times
Reputation: 101
Default I have some plans!!

They are AWESOME. That's my thought. Instead of farming out the kids we should be building them these tiny houses. Very very sturdy, cute and portable. Plus, with Rico's idea if someone makes you mad you just move LOL !!
Honestly, I never thougth about towing these until this very moment but I often take these plans out and think how easy and convenient and COOL is that??? Says you can build them in a weekend or two. Well, forest could probably build on in a day and put a spa on a two story deck after lunch and we'd still be working on ours in to the next millenium ... LOL !! But, the directions look pretty darn basic. I'm VERY impressed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
There is a book, "Tiny Houses" (I'm struggling to remember the author, but I'll check and get back to you), that you will want to look at- they even have a few "houses" that are quite similar to what you are talking about. Even if they aren't exactly what you are looking for, the entire book is devoted to very small (and restricted) abodes that are completely livable, with TONS of "ah-hah!" kind of ideas that you might be inspired to incorporate into your cabin.

And if I really dig around here, I have the plans to a (towable) cabin that is 8'x 25' (I think)- built onto a trailer bed/frame, and really it's a cute little cottage. I'll see if I can locate it. *crosses fingers*

I think what you are thinking of is great- I'm sure that there must be similar cabins tucked into the wilderness all over Maine.

TinyHouses
Tiny Homes and Small Houses
Small House Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:35 PM
 
378 posts, read 723,031 times
Reputation: 101
Default Very Cool

Hey I read about a guy who did this. He has it packed up and moved around where he wants to go even out of the country I think. how cool is THAT? Thanks for this cool reminder northern maine land man.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Two ideas to consider:

1. You can buy a used refrigerated trailer 40 feet long for about $3,000. You can just about heat the thing with a candle. They are insulated top, bottom, sides and ends. A sawzall will create openings for insualted windows and doors and you would have a bigger building at lower cost. Just keep a Maine registration plate on it and you are good to go.

2. Unless you are only going to use it one mointh a year it's cheaper to buy a used porta potty than to rent one.

3. Down in Etna you can buy a very nice prefabricated building to put onto a used trailer frame. Check out Hill View Mini Barns, Storage Sheds, Garages, Camps, and Cottages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Penobscot Bay, the best place in Maine!
1,841 posts, read 3,672,233 times
Reputation: 2388
Lester Walker, "Tiny, Tiny Houses":

Amazon.com: Tiny Houses: or How to Get Away From It All: Books: Lester R. Walker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Portland, Maine
86 posts, read 356,758 times
Reputation: 59
Thanks so much for replies and info!! Great stuff that will definately help!
Reason for no built camp/house is setbacks only. I can have well and power, just not enough to set back 100 feet as it is a peninsula. Great spot, just too much waterfront! haha Never thought that would be a problem huh??!! hahaha
Thanks again for all help and ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top