U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 06:40 AM

885 posts, read 1,234,739 times

Advertisements

Anybody have one? How does it work? And is it any good? I am looking for a cheaper alternative besides Fairpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 07:15 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,939,743 times
A friend of mine has the kind that works with his computer for several years now and he loves it. He said there's a magic jack available now where you don't have to have it plugged into your computer for it to work.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:00 PM

346 posts, read 676,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Anybody have one? How does it work? And is it any good? I am looking for a cheaper alternative besides Fairpoint.
I have one here in Jersey, works fine. I tried it at my place in Maine with Fairpoint as my ISP, to slow of a connection.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:29 AM

yeah but how does it work? Do you need a land line? I have to do something soon. My cell service sucks here in Abbot!

Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 AM

925 posts, read 1,920,731 times
The one you are talking about is about $80 at Walmart. You need a computer to set it up and then it plugs directly into an outlet. There is a power adapter that plugs into AC, then the USB MagicJack plugs into that. You set it up on the computer to connect to your wireless network. I have one here in Houlton and it works like a champ on Polaris Cable. I use it to make calls to Canada. No charge on the MagicJack. I'd highly recommend it, but only if your ISP is up to it. Basically I'd say if Netflix will stream with no issues, you will have no problem with MagicJack. You will have the occasional dropped call, but no worse than a cell phone.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:56 AM

1,379 posts, read 1,939,743 times
Quote:
yeah but how does it work? Do you need a land line? I have to do something soon. My cell service sucks here in Abbot!
You have a computer right? Use it with your computer. It works with Time Warner Cable in Ellsworth. I don't know about Abbott.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:12 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,841,847 times
I have one as a landline with TWC. Plugs into the router. Works....eh....most of the time. I don't get good cell phone reception in my house either, coastal York County.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:25 AM

Well, I bit the bullet and went with Fairpoint after all. They are having a special. land line with unlimited nationwide and canada plus DTV for $60/mo.

Old 12-27-2012, 06:50 AM

Well, that deal fell thru! Worst customer service EVER from DTV. I was on the phone for 4 HOURS with them. They couldn't figure out my two accounts. I got shuffled from one department to another and that department would say we can't help you we need to send you back to that other department! Oh, and then they wanted me to pay $199 for the receiver! Not on my budget!
I'll just buy a converter box and watch old fashioned TV I guess.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:37 AM

5,676 posts, read 6,754,011 times
Quote:
Well, that deal fell thru! Worst customer service EVER from DTV. I was on the phone for 4 HOURS with them. They couldn't figure out my two accounts. I got shuffled from one department to another and that department would say we can't help you we need to send you back to that other department! Oh, and then they wanted me to pay $199 for the receiver! Not on my budget!
I'll just buy a converter box and watch old fashioned TV I guess.
MagicJack- although the newer version doesn't need to be plugged into a computer, you *do* need a broadband connection and the device plugs into your router.

TV- if you have a receiver with NTSC/ATSC/ClearQAM tuners you'll get more channels with basic cable than OTA.

(ClearQAM= is Quadrature Amplitude Modulation that is not scrambled. Basic cable channels often use this, 'premium' channels that must be purchased as part of a 'package' may be scrambled using a variable encryption algorythm which requires a special receiver whose firmware can be updated remotely when the algorythm is changed to thwart 'pirate' receivers/cablecards.)

If you already have a DTV receiver/converter box, you could order basic cable and broadband which will give you the ability to use a MagicJack and give you more TV channels. (Note: one of my drivers is paying only for broadband (TW's Roadrunner) and does not have a cable TV subscription, but just on a whim he hooked up the cable to a TV receiver and discovered that the basic service was 'there'. YMMV. I don't consider this 'stealing' or 'piracy'- if the signal is there and I have [unmodified] equipment that will pick it up, I don't feel that there is any moral obligation to NOT use it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or