U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 04:00 PM

30 posts, read 15,754 times

Advertisements

Nope, that is not what I meant

I'm a Beekeeper, this will be my familys' fifth year. Only have been stung once and that was my fault.
I'm also a Birdaholic. I'm curious on whomelse on here may have similar interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 04:16 PM

9,767 posts, read 14,900,712 times
Bees should bounce back now that the bee disease has been solved. Maine has a huge number of birds.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:06 PM

783 posts, read 1,337,957 times
Bee disease has been solved?

Birds and bees providing eggs & honey here...lots of interest in both here in Maine.

Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM

16,812 posts, read 11,755,818 times
Bees driving north on the Maine trnpke mid May from 2 years ago. Both trucks loaded with bees probably from NJ on the way to the blueberry fields in Washington co.

Had a couple of apiculture courses and been wanting to start some hives but the CCD and other diseases has halted my efforts. Have always been facinated by honey bees and their ability to communicate, engineer and make delicious honey.

As for the birds I did get a few bluebird boxes started that have been producing for years. Two boxes are evenn used for stuffing bluebirds during cold nights.

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM

30,639 posts, read 49,293,953 times
I have a few hives

Old 12-29-2012, 12:09 AM

18,291 posts, read 23,418,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Bees should bounce back now that the bee disease has been solved. Maine has a huge number of birds.
i've seen more bee's in the last three years., than ever before- from yellow-jackets to the fast little guys that will nest in the ground and do not like riding lawnmowers-and wasp/hornets, i've had to spray more nests, they seem to love my gas grill, and deck furniture

my fav flyer is the dragon-fly, i've seen more of them,recently too, they seem to be the cavalry of the flyers....when they are around, I dont see many other bee's, I know they eat mosquitos,,,but didnt know if they'd go after bee's

Old 12-29-2012, 06:54 AM

16,812 posts, read 11,755,818 times
Default number for honey bee rescue

Most important is to spread the word not to get out the raid bee and wasp killer for a swarm of bees.
While many insects pollinate, honey bees, apis mellifera, a do the most work. these guys are gentle critters unlike the hornets, wasps and furry mining bees. So bee id is important.

Call these guys for bee rescue:
Honey Bee Swarm Removal Service in Maine

Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 AM

5,676 posts, read 6,749,953 times
I have two hives, started from nucs this past Spring. Lost the queen in one hive (reason unknown) but they successfully generated a new one, as a back-up plan I allowed the other hive to become slightly over-crowded and create swarm cells that I would have used to rear a new queen had it been necessary.

I had not heard that 'bee disease' had been 'solved'. Bees, as with most living creatures, are subject to a number of diseases, pests and parasites which requiring monitoring and management in order to maintain optimum health of the hive. Although some people choose to let 'nature take its course' and suffer the loss of hives, I prefer to enact a pest management program in order to [try to] maintain the health of the hives and protect my investment of time and money.

I did not let fear of 'Colony Collapse Disorder' prevent me from starting hives. It is my understanding that CCD primarily affects hives which are frequently picked up and transported to different areas for commercial pollination programs. These hives operate under conditions which are not 'normal' and are subject to greater stresses than hives that remain in one place and exist in more 'natural' conditions. I could be wrong in this line of thought, but hopefully not. Time will tell.

If these hives survive the Winter, it is my intention to allow them to approach swarm stage and generate swarm cells, at which time I will split them and start new hives. I started with Italian workers chosen for the characteristics of gentleness and foraging ability (among other reasons) and Carniolan queens selected for disease resistance and better cold weather performance. At some point I intend to begin a genetic modification program to improve their cold weather survivability and disease/mite resistance, probably by introducing Russian queens, but that might not happen for a year or two.

I have not [yet] been stung by a honeybee. Although I don't typically open the hives without at least a jacket, hood and gloves, I sometimes observe them from close range (2-3 feet or less) or open the outer cover to check the levels of feed jars. These bees are not overly aggressive, sometimes I'll get some 'head-butting' but generally only if I keep them open too long or accidentally bump the side of the box with a hive tool. I did notice that the #2 hive, during its queenless period, was more easily agitated and more aggressive. Sometimes when I'm outside, not near the hives, I will find that I've picked up some hitchhikers- honeybees that have landed on me and seem content to sit and ride about. My wife says it's because they 'know' me and 'recognize' me as their benefator, I don't give them credit for that much intelligence but, seeing as how much of their lives are governed by pheromones, perhaps in a way they *do* recognize me. They don't seem to be as attracted to her and don't land on her unless she is with me when I have the hives open.

Old 12-29-2012, 01:15 PM

414 posts, read 174,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have a few hives
You must be the artist formerly known as Forest Beekeeper....

Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM

30,639 posts, read 49,293,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NS4Life View Post
You must be the artist formerly known as Forest Beekeeper....
I live in a forest. I keep a few bees. Yes, I have gone by that handle previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine