U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 07:35 AM

4 posts, read 7,244 times

Advertisements

My husband is retiring from the Army in a couple years. I'm going to school to be a Nurse Midwife and we have 4 kids. We've been focusing on the Lewiston-Auburn area in Maine.But the way Maine taxes retirement income is giving us second thoughts. We're looking for some place pretty quiet, but with decent proximity to a University, and the libraries and opportunities that come with it. The husband will probably spend the first couple years fixing up whatever old house we can afford to buy. Are the taxes in Maine really that bad?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 08:01 AM

177 posts, read 336,986 times
I don't find them to be unreasonable. Then again, I support the public school system and I like having my trash collected. I feel like this is the one state in which I've lived where I can actually see where my money is going, unlike NY for instance. Really, it's not that bad - but it's all relative.

Old 12-30-2012, 08:26 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,434,525 times
I think you will find the Realestate taxes in NH very high compared to Maine. Of course each town sets their own rates.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:12 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
mntnmom - Welcome to this forum.

My last tour was in Naples Italy before I retired from the US Navy in 2001.

Quote:
... My husband is retiring from the Army in a couple years.
Congratulations to your husband.

Quote:
... I'm going to school to be a Nurse Midwife and we have 4 kids.
Sounds like you have your hands full. When I retired from Active Duty we had 2 children. Then we got into fostering for a few years, which certainly kept us busy for a while.

Do you plan to practice Midwifery in Maine?

Quote:
... We've been focusing on the Lewiston-Auburn area in Maine. But the way Maine taxes retirement income is giving us second thoughts. We're looking for some place pretty quiet, but with decent proximity to a University, and the libraries and opportunities that come with it. The husband will probably spend the first couple years fixing up whatever old house we can afford to buy. Are the taxes in Maine really that bad?
When we moved to Maine we went further North. We found a parcel of forested land alongside the Penobscot River, just North of Bangor, where we settled and built a home. For us: Bangor is nearby with all of it's shopping and hospitals, and Orono is also nearby with a large state university. We enjoy it here.

My pension does not exceed the Married-Joint Exemption and the Deductions. So none of my pension is taxed. It is 'taxable'. It would be taxed if it were more, but it is not taxed.

Everyone perceives taxes differently. We moved here from Ct. Our vehicle registration fees, vehicle taxes and road taxes went down a great deal when we shifted everything to Maine. So our perception of Maine vehicle taxes is that they are low.

We manage 150 acres of forest with river frontage, we live in a 2400 sq ft home, our property taxes for all of it is less than $1,000/year.

I do not find Maine taxes to be 'high'.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:53 AM

4 posts, read 7,244 times
Thanks! I have no trouble paying taxes. Just trying to make sure we know what we're getting into. We do want to have some property. Bob wants to start hunting again, and we want the kids to know what it means to play outdoors. I would like to practice midwifery in Maine. I know it's not the youngest population, but I hope to take a wider variety of clients.
I flew into Bangor once. Nice looking place, and beautiful countryside! We're looking for some place a *little* more diverse. We've blessed to live in very multi-cultural communities, and would like to keep that up. I guess we're trying to find the best compromise. I don't mind country living, but I need neighbors.

Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
Thanks! I have no trouble paying taxes. Just trying to make sure we know what we're getting into.
Understood.

Quote:
... We do want to have some property. Bob wants to start hunting again, and we want the kids to know what it means to play outdoors.
Maine has a great deal of forest. Over 90% of the state of forested. Hunting, fishing, hiking, geo-caching, ice-fishing, sledding, are all popular activities here. I find it interesting to see how many Mainers have 'camps' out in the willy-wags somewhere that they go to. Some may only use their camps 2 or 3 times a year, others every weekend.

Among all of the duty stations I had I do not recall any that the locals were this engaged in outdoor 'nature' activities.

Quote:
... I would like to practice midwifery in Maine. I know it's not the youngest population, but I hope to take a wider variety of clients.
Sounds good.

Quote:
... I flew into Bangor once. Nice looking place, and beautiful countryside! We're looking for some place a *little* more diverse. We've blessed to live in very multi-cultural communities, and would like to keep that up. I guess we're trying to find the best compromise. I don't mind country living, but I need neighbors.
Diversity is a topic where Maine is lacking. Lewiston/Auburn or Portland maybe, I think, are the most diverse areas that Maine has.

Everyone has different ideas of what makes 'urban' or 'rural'. Maine's biggest city [Portland] is not big enough to even rank as a 'city' in many people's opinions. I see a lot of communities that I think of as being much more Mayberry-like.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 12-30-2012, 12:15 PM

177 posts, read 336,986 times
You'll do well with midwifery here. There are definitely a ton of moms/babies. "Mom to Mom of Maine" is a mother's group for southern Maine that is pretty large. Also, there is a birthing center called "Birthroots" in Portland that has a strong community, and I believe they do doula training. I'm sure there are many others, as well. You'll do well here. Good luck!

Old 12-30-2012, 03:32 PM

85 posts, read 147,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mntnmom View Post
My husband is retiring from the Army in a couple years. I'm going to school to be a Nurse Midwife and we have 4 kids. We've been focusing on the Lewiston-Auburn area in Maine.But the way Maine taxes retirement income is giving us second thoughts. We're looking for some place pretty quiet, but with decent proximity to a University, and the libraries and opportunities that come with it. The husband will probably spend the first couple years fixing up whatever old house we can afford to buy. Are the taxes in Maine really that bad?
Does New Hampshire have an almost criminally obscene excise tax? It may well have one, but every year in Maine you have to pay a ridiculously high bill to get your car re-registered, although it is ugliest any time you buy a vehicle new. Regardless, it's a tax that myself and my wife have really come to affiliate with everything that's wrong with Maine.

Quote:
We're looking for some place a *little* more diverse.
*Facepalm.*

I'm doing this as hard as I can in your direction.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM

58 posts, read 74,981 times
My grandfather (some years ago) showed me his tax bill (he was complaining) for three houses on 320 acres in central Maine.
As I remember it was 1,700 and some change. I found my NY property and school tax receipts later on and showed it to him the next time I went to his place. He never complained again
I believe mine were 6X what his were and I had one home on 14 acres

Old 12-30-2012, 06:18 PM

20,170 posts, read 34,510,109 times
NH taxes in the Lakes Region are not too bad, particularly if you have more than 10 acres- you can enroll it in the state current use program. Some towns that would be desirable with lower taxes would be: Alton, Wakefield, Freedom, Moultonboro, Tuftonboro, Meredith, Holderness, Bridgewater,Hebron, Albany, etc.

NH generally will not have property taxes AS LOW as RURAL Maine, but you get a few more services and amenities while being less remote, which has its pros/cons.

Here is a Link http://www.revenue.nh.gov/munc_prop/...RateReport.pdf
that shows the extreme variability of property tax rates in NH on a town by town basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or