Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 07:18 PM

197 posts, read 302,082 times

Advertisements

Hi, my dream is to own some land in Maine. I like ski and my husband like water. I think that Maine would be a perfect fit. We live in Chicago, il.

What is the perfect place yet affordable in Maine that we should look for. Is there anything well under $50k? Thanks for any advice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 07:51 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
When you say "land", do you mean just land? you could buy over 100 acres of forest with that much cash. Get yourself a nice piece of land with river frontage, or lake front, or maybe even a larger parcel back into the willy-wags. ... lots of wildlife, no neighbors, just you and nature. You could hang-out on your property and never see, hear or smell another human, ever. You could have a garden, build a cabin, raise some livestock, etc. For some people that could be a very happy lifestyle. You could have all of this, in Maine, along with a very low cost-of-living and low taxes.

Other people would want a 'house'.

Still others might want; a paved road for access, municipal utilities like electricity and phone [even urban stuff like cable]. Ready access to schools, shopping, hospitals, airports, and a nightlife [this last group generally are the folks who demand high taxes and a high cost-of-living].

When you say 'land'; what do you mean?

Old 01-08-2013, 09:07 PM

197 posts, read 302,082 times
o wow! I didn't mean that much land for that little of money, lol. I was thinking less than acre and since buying lot, I think is always cheaper then buying it with property so, I could build a small log house to enjoy nature with my family. I prefer to live near nature but still want to have access to civilization especially hospital.
Any thoughts on that? As I said, it is just a dream that may become in reality in 15 years. I hope!

Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
There are many good websites, below being one, that can help you choose a lo9cation. There is a lot of state here to choose from. Bangor area has quite a bit of rural land, far from the madding crowd, close to amenities and services. Take a stroll via RE sites around Maine. But beware; there are no perfect sites. Not even here in Utopia.

Maine Real Estate & Maine Homes for Sale - Zillow

Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Look up Maine ski areas that are open 7 days a week. Then draw a 50 mile circle around each one. These circles will overlap. Pick a spot where the most circles overlap.

Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Look up Maine ski areas that are open 7 days a week. Then draw a 50 mile circle around each one. These circles will overlap. Pick a spot where the most circles overlap.
I like that idea.

Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM

Engineers; We can't help it.

Old 01-12-2013, 09:19 PM

393 posts, read 982,051 times
" wow! I didn't mean that much land for that little of money, lol. I was thinking less than acre and since buying lot, I think is always cheaper then buying it with property so, I could build a small log house to enjoy nature with my family. I prefer to live near nature but want to have access to civilization especially hospital.
Any thoughts on that?"

Been there done that. But cost of developing land for driveway, septic, well etc. was high. It would be much cheaper in the currently depressed real estate market to find an already-built house that has already dealt with all of that.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM

36 posts, read 55,083 times
15 Years ?? if you wait that long the land will be 50K and acre,, buy now if you can and use it for vacations,, build a camp and get established in an area,, one 40 acre place im looking at is under 40K and solar is the way im thinking

Old 01-13-2013, 04:41 PM

"I could build a small log house to enjoy nature with my family. I prefer to live near nature but want to have access to civilization especially hospital.
Any thoughts on that?"

My thoughts on that:

A log home is charming and with a fire in the wood stove it seems like paradise. That said, it is a high maintenance building. Another alternative is a post and beam home or camp. It is less than a third the cost of a log home and just as charming.

Do it soon before the giant rezoning of Northern Maine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine