Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:19 PM

1,874 posts, read 2,858,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Flyer View Post
Oh yes. I know that place. We stopped there once.

There's a store, kind of across the street, by the railroad tracks that used to be a grocery too. I forget the name of it. My dad liked that store for the meat. Did the owners of Friends and Family used to own that place too?
The grocery store located near the railroad tracks was a predecessor of Friends and Family Market. At that Y in the road it was called The Corner Store. Ron and Launa didn't own that store back then. Launa's family used to own Larry's Pastry (now a pizza place) behind the Catholic Church. The meats are still popular at the current store. Here's the website. Grocery store located in Ellsworth, Maine - Friends & Family Market

Mainebrokerman is right; very nice people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
sylvia's open year 'round?

yes, I agree, I like that IGA in trenton,
alot like the store I grew up with-very friendly, and no long lines
Yes, Sylvia's is open year round. They close around 1 p.m.....maybe 2.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:35 PM

30,141 posts, read 23,530,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I saw the news in the Bangor paper. Maybe some of the Shaw's will close. The Shaw's in southern Maine seem to be much larger and nicer than some of the others. Except for the weekly specials, I think Hannaford has much better prices. I think Hannaford definitely wins when it comes to meat, seafood, and produce--and whoopie pies from the deli-- The meat at Wal-mart is what I call "tasteless." I've had some yummy corn on the cob from there so all the produce isn't bad. When Delhaize bought Hannaford, a significant number of stores stayed open. Unless people become self-sufficient, grocery stores will stay in business; people have to get food to eat from some place. We had a garden when I was a child. We rarely bought veggies from a grocery store. I still remember how horrible I thought the canned from the store string beans tasted the first time I ate some of them. I remember when there was only one chain grocery store in Ellsworth for a time. Some of the prices skyrocketed without sufficient competition.

Make a list of the items you purchase most frequently. Record the prices of them from at least three places--maybe Hannaford, Walmart, and Shaw's...if in Ellsworth include Friends and Family Market. Be sure to record the date of your visit, regular prices and any prices that are only sale prices. Be sure to record prices several times a year paying particular notice to winter prices vs. summer prices. If you have an iPad you can use that to gather your data instead of paper and pencil.

Three Wolves: Why shop at a more expensive Hannaford. You must go by others on your 65 mile drive home from work....might save some money somewhere else that could be used for gas. I understand that sometimes people don't feel like stopping and shopping on their way home from work--tired and anxious to get home to your doggies who are anxiously awaiting your arrival with their legs crossed--just a suggestion.
When I get off of work, they are all closed.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
When I get off of work, they are all closed.
well...you didn't have to quote me and use up all that cyber space for a one sentence reply Let me guess...they're all closed on your way to work too. If not, leave earlier when the temp is just right for leaving food items in your car for hours....take a cooler for perishables and in the winter you probably won't need any ice. Seriously, just trying to help you save on your grocery bill. Do what makes you happy....and they may be open more hours in the summer to accommodate your shopping needs and work schedule....not to mention the tourists.

Old 01-14-2013, 08:12 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
The Hannafords used to be Shop 'N Save. I'm pretty sure there's at least one in Lincoln that is still privately owned....unless he sold it.
some of the independently supplied stores (by hannaford are still called shopnsaves) some aren't- like tradewinds in blue hill,
there are 27 in the state

lincoln is still a corporate hannaford store, but north of lincoln, they are all independents- paradis has the majority ownership in most of the shopnsaves north of lincoln, they also own, the brewer and calais stores
graves in presque isle is also a shopnsave-supplied by hannaford

in patten, there's a store called ellis' in the middle of town, that hannaford supplies

when the "steaknstuff" grocery store first opened in lincoln a good ten yrs ago, that was a very nice store, the owners lived in lincoln, there kids went to the schools-super nice, hard working owners, they sold about 4-5 yrs ago-
that wasnt a shopnsave

Old 01-15-2013, 10:36 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,985,636 times
Please, God, don't let our area Shaw'H and hannaford's close. I don't want to be enslaved to Walmart. I think their product quality sucks and their brand array is severely limited.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:13 PM

908 posts, read 1,112,979 times
Wal-Mart is a grocery-store killer. In my hometown in NY, we lost our native 75 year old supermarket chain (Quality markets) to a combined bulldozer of Wegmans and Wal-Mart.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Save-A-Lot has a terrible house band. FYI to anyone.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
I would rather shoot and eat squirrells than buy meat at VomitMart, Shaws is over priced compared to hannaford, hopefully the new owners will get rid of the stupid card thing and lower there prices to compete.

bill
The seafood is largely farm-raised from East Asia. What does this mean? You get to eat animal rights abuse cases.

Tilapa, for example, is raised in farms, often in Africa, where they genetically modify it to have a very small head and large body. They will live in squalor in these farms, with accelerated growth being initiated. This is overwhelmingly the case for Tilapa - which has always been a low-end fish that for some reason has caught on in recent years.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:39 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,517,672 times
I keep forgetting we have a local Save-A-Lot. I will stop in there this week. Thanks for the heads up about their store brand being sub par.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine