Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 12:46 PM

30,138 posts, read 23,530,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
well...you didn't have to quote me and use up all that cyber space for a one sentence reply Let me guess...they're all closed on your way to work too. If not, leave earlier when the temp is just right for leaving food items in your car for hours....take a cooler for perishables and in the winter you probably won't need any ice. Seriously, just trying to help you save on your grocery bill. Do what makes you happy....and they may be open more hours in the summer to accommodate your shopping needs and work schedule....not to mention the tourists.
Yah, I got lazy when quoting.

Anyway, I know you were trying to help, I'm not knocking you for that. I just know that I'm not getting up earlier to do that because:

I spend anywhere from 9-15 hours just with work. We aren't adding in the other 3 hours of total commuting time. Groceries in my car for 10-17 hours, even with a cooler, doesn't work for me in addition to the fact that I really would rather spend more time at home than out and about.

The Hannafords in Camden and Belfast aren't that much difference in price and to be honest with you, I do what I can to get OUT of those areas as quickly as possible.

I am already trying to figure out an alternate route for when the tourists come back so that I don't have to drive through Camden. My God, I'll never get home then! If there's a store along the way on this alternate route I find, (thinking 131...??), that is open on the way home, in the summer, I might stop in.

@Michael atw: Well lovely. The one time I did shop at Wally World grocery, I bought tilapia for the pets. That ticks me off that I supported that. Just another reason for me never to shop in Wally World grocery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 01:22 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,024,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I am already trying to figure out an alternate route for when the tourists come back so that I don't have to drive through Camden. My God, I'll never get home then! If there's a store along the way on this alternate route I find, (thinking 131...??), that is open on the way home, in the summer, I might stop in.
...http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...eply&t=1771838
Well, it depends on where you're going, but if I'm going north on Route 1 through Camden, I'll turn left in between the Subway and Exxon station (John St) and cut through on the side streets to come back out just north of the downtown area. There are several other opportunities to turn left and get off of Route 1, but the main goal, in terms of saving time in tourist season, is to steer clear of that stop sign that seems to be there just to make a mess of things, as well as the downtown area.

Here it is mapped out.

It may be a few miles out of the way, but if traffic is really bad, it can save some time--or at least some aggravation. I'd rather drive for 10 minutes and keep moving all ten of them, then drive for 5 minutes in stop and go traffic.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:56 PM

793 posts, read 1,325,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Ron and Launa didn't own that store back then. Launa's family used to own Larry's Pastry (now a pizza place) behind the Catholic Church.
Oh!

Only thing I remember about catechism was getting a treat at Larry's afterwards.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaineiac View Post
Well, it depends on where you're going, but if I'm going north on Route 1 through Camden, I'll turn left in between the Subway and Exxon station (John St) and cut through on the side streets to come back out just north of the downtown area. There are several other opportunities to turn left and get off of Route 1, but the main goal, in terms of saving time in tourist season, is to steer clear of that stop sign that seems to be there just to make a mess of things, as well as the downtown area.

Here it is mapped out.

It may be a few miles out of the way, but if traffic is really bad, it can save some time--or at least some aggravation. I'd rather drive for 10 minutes and keep moving all ten of them, then drive for 5 minutes in stop and go traffic.
I know JUST the stop sign you are referring to and I agree wholeheartedly with your assessment of said stop sign.

I also mapped out 131 and it will work well, keeping me off of 1 that whole way where all the tourists will be driving along the coast to/from Belfast/Camden, driving about 20 under, (or more...especially in Camden where they window shop from their CAR!)

So, to keep on topic, does anyone know any stores, grocery type, that are along 131 from Belfast to say...around Union? I guess if Shaw's is expensive and going to be sold, don't bother with those but any others?

Old 01-15-2013, 06:08 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I keep forgetting we have a local Save-A-Lot. I will stop in there this week. Thanks for the heads up about their store brand being sub par.
there is a save a lot in brewer, it was opened by b. smythe the same smythe that was in presque isle and eventually closed, he has crossed over to the big store in the sky

save a lot is very basic, it is what it is,,their will always be a .99 ketchup, no matter the brand...use to be this way- like the family dollar of the grocery world- stick with canned goods,,,the perishables,,, well, good luck with that

Old 01-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Yah, I got lazy when quoting.

Anyway, I know you were trying to help, I'm not knocking you for that. I just know that I'm not getting up earlier to do that because:

I spend anywhere from 9-15 hours just with work. We aren't adding in the other 3 hours of total commuting time. Groceries in my car for 10-17 hours, even with a cooler, doesn't work for me in addition to the fact that I really would rather spend more time at home than out and about.

The Hannafords in Camden and Belfast aren't that much difference in price and to be honest with you, I do what I can to get OUT of those areas as quickly as possible.

@Michael atw: Well lovely. The one time I did shop at Wally World grocery, I bought tilapia for the pets. That ticks me off that I supported that. Just another reason for me never to shop in Wally World grocery.
I would use 131 in the summertime, - their is a grocery store called swan lake grocery (near swan lake, in swanville_ on 131
nice store-nice people, I know many personally.

on your route 1 south,,,in searsport is toziers market, an Iga
belfast ,,,,,,is hannaford

northport is a newer store called wentworth's Market -owner John, also owns the market in brooks (j.p wentworth)

camden has three grocery stores

megunticook market- nice little niche' market ...owner lainey has been on wcsh channel 6 show 207....for cooking-she's been on 5 times..does alot of catering-very nice store!

french&brawn on the corner of main street across from post office-been there since 1880's
they are a niche' market also...good meats,,meat manager is named john, store owner is named Todd

Hannaford in Camden.... its now a corporate store- store manager bob is a good guy(if he's still there)
use to be a "graves" independent store, and an IGA before that

there is also a "market basket" organic store on rte one-headin south out of town-not sure if its open in the winter

rockland... hannaford and shaws...
there use to be a couple independents in the town,,,but no more (tho I think south on rte one a store would do well)

walmart tried to go into belfast, but the town set an ordinance, no new stores over 35k squ feet (or something close to that)

damariscotta did the same..

Old 01-15-2013, 07:33 PM

3,524 posts, read 2,822,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there is a save a lot in brewer, it was opened by b. smythe the same smythe that was in presque isle and eventually closed, he has crossed over to the big store in the sky

save a lot is very basic, it is what it is,,their will always be a .99 ketchup, no matter the brand...use to be this way- like the family dollar of the grocery world- stick with canned goods,,,the perishables,,, well, good luck with that
The save-a-lot in lewiston is not bad, very clean and they seem to have some nice produce like Turnips, potatoes,squash. I have even found some good meat there before like ground sirloin for 3.49lb of course you want to cook or freeze it right away, it's cheap because its close to the exp. date.
oh yah don't forget to bring your own grocery bags they hold down cost by not bagging your stuff.
no frills but low prices.

bill

Old 01-15-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I would use 131 in the summertime, - their is a grocery store called swan lake grocery (near swan lake, in swanville_ on 131
nice store-nice people, I know many personally.

on your route 1 south,,,in searsport is toziers market, an Iga
belfast ,,,,,,is hannaford

northport is a newer store called wentworth's Market -owner John, also owns the market in brooks (j.p wentworth)

camden has three grocery stores

megunticook market- nice little niche' market ...owner lainey has been on wcsh channel 6 show 207....for cooking-she's been on 5 times..does alot of catering-very nice store!

french&brawn on the corner of main street across from post office-been there since 1880's
they are a niche' market also...good meats,,meat manager is named john, store owner is named Todd

Hannaford in Camden.... its now a corporate store- store manager bob is a good guy(if he's still there)
use to be a "graves" independent store, and an IGA before that

there is also a "market basket" organic store on rte one-headin south out of town-not sure if its open in the winter

rockland... hannaford and shaws...
there use to be a couple independents in the town,,,but no more (tho I think south on rte one a store would do well)

walmart tried to go into belfast, but the town set an ordinance, no new stores over 35k squ feet (or something close to that)

damariscotta did the same..
Holy carp, you know everyone in Maine!

Thanks for the tip about Searsport. I could do an IGA, had those in WA state when I was a kid. It's close to home and if I ever get my hours changed, I'll definitely go in on the way home since I will be coming home right about the time they open for the day. Thanks! Now, just to find out where it is in Searsport...

Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Holy carp, you know everyone in Maine!

Thanks for the tip about Searsport. I could do an IGA, had those in WA state when I was a kid. It's close to home and if I ever get my hours changed, I'll definitely go in on the way home since I will be coming home right about the time they open for the day. Thanks! Now, just to find out where it is in Searsport...
when headin south thru searsport main st,,,,,look to the right at the end of the main st buildings...you should see the parking lot, then the store

headin north, its on the left before the main st buildings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine