Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 AM

19,957 posts, read 30,004,669 times

Advertisements

Shaw’s is one of the oldest continuously operating supermarket chains in the country, dating back to 1860, when George C. Shaw opened his first store in Portland.

Here's the full article

Supervalu Inc. announced Thursday that it has reached a deal to sell five of its biggest grocery chains – including Shaw’s — for $100 million in cash plus more than $3 billion in debt.

The sale to AB Acquisition, an investor group led by Cerberus Capital Management, will include 877 stores.

Shaw’s has 22 locations in Maine.

The other chains are Albertsons, Acme, Jewel-Osco and Star Market.

The group will acquire the stores for $100 million in cash, and the new company will assume $3.2 billion in debt.

After the sale, Supervalu will consist of a food wholesaler, Save-A-Lot, and regional chains Cub, Farm Fresh, Shoppers, Shop ’n Save and Hornbacher’s.

Supervalu said Sam Duncan, a grocery industry veteran, will replace CEO and Chairman Wayne Sales after the sale.

Shaw’s Supermarkets Inc. announced in November that it would cut 700 jobs, 4 percent of its work force, across New England, two weeks after SuperValu posted a second-quarter loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 05:58 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,515,979 times
I'm wondering if the Bangor Shaws will be closing. If it does it will be missed by many that live in it's proximity. I live a little over a mile from it but rarely shop there. I will occasionally go for their specials only as most of the other things that are not on special are extremely over priced compared with Hannaford. I would love to see a quality grocery come in there - such as Market Basket - but I know that won't happen. When this store came into town many people were forced to sell their homes and existing businesses. There were a few that resisted but they were pushed out anyway. Kinda sad it had to end up like this.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I'm wondering if the Bangor Shaws will be closing. If it does it will be missed by many that live in it's proximity. I live a little over a mile from it but rarely shop there. I will occasionally go for their specials only as most of the other things that are not on special are extremely over priced compared with Hannaford. I would love to see a quality grocery come in there - such as Market Basket - but I know that won't happen. When this store came into town many people were forced to sell their homes and existing businesses. There were a few that resisted but they were pushed out anyway. Kinda sad it had to end up like this.

I havent seen any mentions of closings, but a few store locations wouldn't surprise me..

Hannaford has been having a tough time too, in less than three years, their stocks dropped 50% in value
alot of rumors about hannaford in the wind also

Old 01-13-2013, 07:21 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,135,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I havent seen any mentions of closings, but a few store locations wouldn't surprise me..

Hannaford has been having a tough time too, in less than three years, their stocks dropped 50% in value
alot of rumors about hannaford in the wind also
Less than 3 years huh? Okay, I'm going to try and post this with my sarcasm filter on.

<mmmla;oeirj;ebn;angjmd> <----that's me sitting on my typing fingers.

New Wal-Mart store to open in Bangor — Business — Bangor Daily News — BDN Maine

Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Less than 3 years huh? Okay, I'm going to try and post this with my sarcasm filter on.

I own del haize (hannaford) stocks, so it hits pretty hard

Old 01-13-2013, 09:21 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,520,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post

I have been to the Wal Mart grocery two times - one time to buy, one time to verify that I was right about the prices. I don't fully understand why people shop there for their groceries with exception of a few items here and there.

The meat really isn't all that cheaper, (their price is by the ounce, once you do the calculations, it's the same price as the Hannafords I shop in), their produce is ugly; never once have I bought produce there. Most of the things I typically buy are not that different in price from my local Hannafords that I can't justify the cost of not only gas, but time and annoyance, (ie: Wal-Mart in general is annoying to me not necessarily because of Wally World itself but because every time I go in there, the people act like monkeys in a zoo and this is the last day on earth that bread, for example, will be sold...really people.)

I understand why people buy other products there but I've never understood the big deal with the groceries. I shopped in the grocery one time, I did not save that much money over Hannafords. And the Hannafords I shop in is more expensive than other Hannafords...so that says something.

Old 01-13-2013, 10:10 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,856,259 times
I saw the news in the Bangor paper. Maybe some of the Shaw's will close. The Shaw's in southern Maine seem to be much larger and nicer than some of the others. Except for the weekly specials, I think Hannaford has much better prices. I think Hannaford definitely wins when it comes to meat, seafood, and produce--and whoopie pies from the deli-- The meat at Wal-mart is what I call "tasteless." I've had some yummy corn on the cob from there so all the produce isn't bad. When Delhaize bought Hannaford, a significant number of stores stayed open. Unless people become self-sufficient, grocery stores will stay in business; people have to get food to eat from some place. We had a garden when I was a child. We rarely bought veggies from a grocery store. I still remember how horrible I thought the canned from the store string beans tasted the first time I ate some of them. I remember when there was only one chain grocery store in Ellsworth for a time. Some of the prices skyrocketed without sufficient competition.

Make a list of the items you purchase most frequently. Record the prices of them from at least three places--maybe Hannaford, Walmart, and Shaw's...if in Ellsworth include Friends and Family Market. Be sure to record the date of your visit, regular prices and any prices that are only sale prices. Be sure to record prices several times a year paying particular notice to winter prices vs. summer prices. If you have an iPad you can use that to gather your data instead of paper and pencil.

Three Wolves: Why shop at a more expensive Hannaford. You must go by others on your 65 mile drive home from work....might save some money somewhere else that could be used for gas. I understand that sometimes people don't feel like stopping and shopping on their way home from work--tired and anxious to get home to your doggies who are anxiously awaiting your arrival with their legs crossed--just a suggestion.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I have been to the Wal Mart grocery two times - one time to buy, one time to verify that I was right about the prices. I don't fully understand why people shop there for their groceries with exception of a few items here and there.

The meat really isn't all that cheaper, (their price is by the ounce, once you do the calculations, it's the same price as the Hannafords I shop in), their produce is ugly; never once have I bought produce there. Most of the things I typically buy are not that different in price from my local Hannafords that I can't justify the cost of not only gas, but time and annoyance, (ie: Wal-Mart in general is annoying to me not necessarily because of Wally World itself but because every time I go in there, the people act like monkeys in a zoo and this is the last day on earth that bread, for example, will be sold...really people.)

I understand why people buy other products there but I've never understood the big deal with the groceries. I shopped in the grocery one time, I did not save that much money over Hannafords. And the Hannafords I shop in is more expensive than other Hannafords...so that says something.
I agree, Walmart meat isnt cut on site- they have no meatcutters in the store, and its shipped in from 1000's of miles away, Read the packaging carefully, some is up to 18% in a sodium solution to keep a longer shelf-life, and produce....good luck there too

Shaw's has been pushing a loyalty card, and what's not on the card or on sale...the prices do seem high

Hannaford- I worked for them for 12 years, they were a class act- they are now owned from a company in belgium

Before wal-mart came into the state- the two supermarkets were shaw's and shopnsave (hannaford)
once walmart came in, the whole landscape changed in some regions, ellsworth is a good example- here you have a large hannaford, and a large shaw's, both operating from a consistent sales and profits modules,
then comes a goliath, a super duper wal-mart opens a supercenter - with full lines of groceries, and they are cheaper (overall) in the aisles.....all the sudden this has to take 30% out of hannaford and shaws,-this hurts them maybe not in summer , but in the 9 month off-tourist season)
they lose sales, they still have the same fixed expenses, same size store-grocery stores are huge energy hogs-all the refrigerated and freezer cases- alot of expenses.

anyways- this same scenario happened in presque isle a short time ago
graves (hannaford) and smythe's a larger store competed in harmony for years- then wal-mart came in,,started bleeding both of them, til eventually smythe's closed

I dont shop at wal-mart that often, in some ways I despise them, but they are exceptional retailers- the parking lots are always full.(walmart sells more groceries than any supermarket chain, including Kroger)

In my seasoned age, I tend to shop as local as i can,,when possible..I like the independents grocery stores, they remind me of the stores I grew up with, and guess what?? because they dont have all the variety a walmart or sams club has, I dont overspend, im much more frugal, and the meats are much better from an independent- look for the sales..
I dont care if something is 10 cents more for an item, I refuse to go to a big box store, save my 5.00 and it takes me an hour-(and cost of gas) I hate the parking lots, the inconsiderate people, the long lines-45 checkouts and 5 are open.... Im pissed by the time i get to the cashier- not good for the blood pressure

Ive seen so many small businesses close in the past 10 years, I try to support the little guys

Old 01-13-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
I saw the news in the Bangor paper. Maybe some of the Shaw's will close. The Shaw's in southern Maine seem to be much larger and nicer than some of the others. Except for the weekly specials, I think Hannaford has much better prices. I think Hannaford definitely wins when it comes to meat, seafood, and produce--and whoopie pies from the deli-- The meat at Wal-mart is what I call "tasteless." I've had some yummy corn on the cob from there so all the produce isn't bad. When Delhaize bought Hannaford, a significant number of stores stayed open. Unless people become self-sufficient, grocery stores will stay in business; people have to get food to eat from some place. We had a garden when I was a child. We rarely bought veggies from a grocery store. I still remember how horrible I thought the canned from the store string beans tasted the first time I ate some of them. I remember when there was only one chain grocery store in Ellsworth for a time. Some of the prices skyrocketed without sufficient competition.

Make a list of the items you purchase most frequently. Record the prices of them from at least three places--maybe Hannaford, Walmart, and Shaw's...if in Ellsworth include Friends and Family Market. Be sure to record the date of your visit, regular prices and any prices that are only sale prices. Be sure to record prices several times a year paying particular notice to winter prices vs. summer prices. If you have an iPad you can use that to gather your data instead of paper and pencil.

Three Wolves: Why shop at a more expensive Hannaford. You must go by others on your 65 mile drive home from work....might save some money somewhere else that could be used for gas. I understand that sometimes people don't feel like stopping and shopping on their way home from work--tired and anxious to get home to your doggies who are anxiously awaiting your arrival with their legs crossed--just a suggestion.
good point, shop the hannaford with cheaper prices, hannafords seem to have different price zones,,
within so many miles of a walmart, they seem to have better prices, to try to be more competitive

to get the best prices- shop the flyers..... they will feature front page loss leaders, just to try to get you thru the door,,,,but stock up on what you like, when its on sale...

Old 01-13-2013, 12:05 PM

1,873 posts, read 2,856,259 times
The Hannafords used to be Shop 'N Save. I'm pretty sure there's at least one in Lincoln that is still privately owned....unless he sold it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine