Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 5,677 times

Advertisements

There's a 75% possibility I will be stationed in Portland (the 25% is Boston, which I quite possibly may be posting in next). My husband will be stationed in Kittery. I was hoping for advice on where to live.

The quick and dirty, we love quaint fishing towns by the coast. On the flip side, we also enjoy a rural area (hopefully with the possibility of having moose frequent our back yard!) with a few acres. As for commute times, I would prefer to be within 30 minutes with traffic, his no more than an hour to Kittery. We're looking at spending $1500 (no more than $2000) a month on at least a 2 bedroom house (rent or own). We have no kids, however if we were to have kids -- we're moving in four years so a school district doesn't matter, however I would like it to be a fairly safe area.

We're both 25 and enjoy outdoorsy things like hiking, boating, fishing, camping, etc... we're not big bar/party people.

Any information is greatly appreciated!! (Even if it's just places to avoid!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 01:56 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,196,841 times
If you plan to move again in four years you should rent and not buy a home.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:31 AM

1,873 posts, read 2,855,450 times
Download google earth (free) and take virtual tours of towns/cities that look interesting to you. Most towns and cities have websites with lots of info. Boston and Mass. has a lot of history and places worth visiting. Maine is all about the outdoors, hiking, boating, fishing, camping, etc. with various choices depending on the time of year. Maybe you should also post on the NH forum. Craig's list isn't all bad; you should be able to get a pretty good feel for the price of rentals there....or google for real estate management companies/real estate agencies with rental info in the areas of interest to you. Coastal Maine rentals take on a whole new price and meaning in the summer months unless you are fortunate enough to locate a year-round rental with a fixed rental amount year round. They do exist. There are winter rentals that require you to move out in the summer or pay more during the summer (2-4 x more).

There are many threads of info already on CD about moving to Portland. You might want to check them out. Feel free to ignore the info about Portland OR that popped up. You can search for threads on southern Maine, NH, or by any town/city you choose.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...archid=1791727

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 01-12-2013 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-12-2013, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,863 times
Wink here some generalizations of each area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netterz0087 View Post
There's a 75% possibility I will be stationed in Portland (the 25% is Boston, which I quite possibly may be posting in next). My husband will be stationed in Kittery. I was hoping for advice on where to live.

The quick and dirty, we love quaint fishing towns by the coast. On the flip side, we also enjoy a rural area (hopefully with the possibility of having moose frequent our back yard!) with a few acres. As for commute times, I would prefer to be within 30 minutes with traffic, his no more than an hour to Kittery. We're looking at spending $1500 (no more than $2000) a month on at least a 2 bedroom house (rent or own). We have no kids, however if we were to have kids -- we're moving in four years so a school district doesn't matter, however I would like it to be a fairly safe area.

We're both 25 and enjoy outdoorsy things like hiking, boating, fishing, camping, etc... we're not big bar/party people.

Any information is greatly appreciated!! (Even if it's just places to avoid!)
Alright I'll give you a quick little rundown about what to expect from some towns/cities in southern Maine. First off, if a commute of less than an hour to Kittery is a real sticking point, then I recommend not living anywhere north of Portland. (Oh yeah Im not sure where your from, but traffic is not an issue on I-95 in Maine. it's when you get on coastal routes during the summer (like route 1) that cause headaches).

General Disclaimer: Southern Maine is not like the rest of Maine. The area around Portland is much more densely populated than the rest of Maine. So the 'little fishing village' you talked about is more likely to be found in Midcoast Maine. I have been living in Southern Maine for 19 years and I have only seen 1 moose in my yard. Many people from northern Maine call us "North Massachusetts". Almost 40% of Maine's population lives in Cumberland and York counties. With that said, this area does have a unique set of natural resources that does make it an enjoyable place to live.

From your post it seems that you prefer rural/small town living, so Portland/ South Portland are out.

Cape Elizabeth is more expensive than most areas, so you might have to hunt a little for the price range your looking for.

Scaraborough has a nice rural feel to it west of route 1 and it also has nice beach areas.

Biddeford/Saco is an interesting area. Saco has nice rural parts and a beautiful coastline and easy access to the turnpike. Biddeford is a little more 'gritty' and definitely has a more 'city feel' to it. Check out the neighborhood before you commit to make sure you like it. This is an affordable area to live and the old mill buildings in these towns are really making a comeback.

Old Orchard Beach is like the Jersey Shore of Maine. It's hopping in the summer and dead in the winter. It can get very crowded in the summer and is a tourist trap. Not many rural areas, probably not the place for you

kennebunk/kennebunkport- these are more like the 'fishing villages' you have in mind. They're like the towns you would see on a postcard from Maine. They're much more crowded in the summer and are expensive in some parts. Again, it's going to come down to if you can find a good deal. If you can, I'd strongly consider moving here given your requirements.

Lyman, Gorham, Buxton, Dayton, Arundel are all inland towns that have the classic Maine woods feel to them. Finding a home in your price range shouldn't be a problem in these towns. The commute to Kittery will be a bit more tedious because you have to take some backroads to get to I-95.

Quick Summary:

Portland / So. Portland- City, a lot of coastline used for industrial purposes, not many moose kickin' around

Scarborough / Cape Elizabeth- expensive, nice rural residential areas

Saco / Biddeford- more city-like, affordable, 'up and coming', rural areas, and nice coastal areas

O.O.B.-tourist hotspot/can be crowded/ dead in winter/ affordable

the kennebunks-expensive, has nice rural and coastal areas, small town centers

the inland towns- woods.............and lots of it, cheap

Hope this gave you somewhat of an idea (probably brought up more questions than answered, but the only way to get a vibe is to come and see for yourself) Let me know if you have any questions

Old 01-13-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickToP12 View Post
Alright I'll give you a quick little rundown about what to expect from some towns/cities in southern Maine. First off, if a commute of less than an hour to Kittery is a real sticking point, then I recommend not living anywhere north of Portland. (Oh yeah Im not sure where your from, but traffic is not an issue on I-95 in Maine. it's when you get on coastal routes during the summer (like route 1) that cause headaches).

General Disclaimer: Southern Maine is not like the rest of Maine. The area around Portland is much more densely populated than the rest of Maine. So the 'little fishing village' you talked about is more likely to be found in Midcoast Maine. I have been living in Southern Maine for 19 years and I have only seen 1 moose in my yard. Many people from northern Maine call us "North Massachusetts". Almost 40% of Maine's population lives in Cumberland and York counties. With that said, this area does have a unique set of natural resources that does make it an enjoyable place to live.

From your post it seems that you prefer rural/small town living, so Portland/ South Portland are out.

Cape Elizabeth is more expensive than most areas, so you might have to hunt a little for the price range your looking for.

Scaraborough has a nice rural feel to it west of route 1 and it also has nice beach areas.

Biddeford/Saco is an interesting area. Saco has nice rural parts and a beautiful coastline and easy access to the turnpike. Biddeford is a little more 'gritty' and definitely has a more 'city feel' to it. Check out the neighborhood before you commit to make sure you like it. This is an affordable area to live and the old mill buildings in these towns are really making a comeback.

Old Orchard Beach is like the Jersey Shore of Maine. It's hopping in the summer and dead in the winter. It can get very crowded in the summer and is a tourist trap. Not many rural areas, probably not the place for you

kennebunk/kennebunkport- these are more like the 'fishing villages' you have in mind. They're like the towns you would see on a postcard from Maine. They're much more crowded in the summer and are expensive in some parts. Again, it's going to come down to if you can find a good deal. If you can, I'd strongly consider moving here given your requirements.

Lyman, Gorham, Buxton, Dayton, Arundel are all inland towns that have the classic Maine woods feel to them. Finding a home in your price range shouldn't be a problem in these towns. The commute to Kittery will be a bit more tedious because you have to take some backroads to get to I-95.

Quick Summary:

Portland / So. Portland- City, a lot of coastline used for industrial purposes, not many moose kickin' around

Scarborough / Cape Elizabeth- expensive, nice rural residential areas

Saco / Biddeford- more city-like, affordable, 'up and coming', rural areas, and nice coastal areas

O.O.B.-tourist hotspot/can be crowded/ dead in winter/ affordable

the kennebunks-expensive, has nice rural and coastal areas, small town centers

the inland towns- woods.............and lots of it, cheap

Hope this gave you somewhat of an idea (probably brought up more questions than answered, but the only way to get a vibe is to come and see for yourself) Let me know if you have any questions

This was great!! Thank you!!! I've been reading crime rates and I'm pretty sure I feel safe no matter where we move (we're coming from Charleston, SC). I figured getting moose was a far stretch As far as the hour commute, we can't go too far over that. My husband said only if it's a good deal. We found three farther north that were really nice that we are definitely putting on list to check out (that and I'm hoping to get closer to Moose lol)! There were also two randoms: One in Gorham and One in Waterboro. I haven't heard any recommendations on any of those. Old Orchard Beach doesnt sound like our cup of tea...we try to avoid typical touristy areas, but they had a couple of good deals so we figured we give it a try.

So far this is what we have....(the purple houses are the ones we've found)

We looked at Kennebunk and LOVED it, but we couldn't find any places to rent only places to buy. And with us moving we didn't feel comfortable trying to sell it.

Any advice on these locations would be greatly appreciated!! As well as any advice on what to do there on a daily basis (and if there is a place to get lobster fresh off of boats?). We both enjoy hiking, camping, going to the beach, pretty much anything outdoors that doesn't cost too much!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netterz0087 View Post
This was great!! Thank you!!! I've been reading crime rates and I'm pretty sure I feel safe no matter where we move (we're coming from Charleston, SC). I figured getting moose was a far stretch As far as the hour commute, we can't go too far over that. My husband said only if it's a good deal. We found three farther north that were really nice that we are definitely putting on list to check out (that and I'm hoping to get closer to Moose lol)! There were also two randoms: One in Gorham and One in Waterboro. I haven't heard any recommendations on any of those. Old Orchard Beach doesnt sound like our cup of tea...we try to avoid typical touristy areas, but they had a couple of good deals so we figured we give it a try.

So far this is what we have....(the purple houses are the ones we've found)

We looked at Kennebunk and LOVED it, but we couldn't find any places to rent only places to buy. And with us moving we didn't feel comfortable trying to sell it.

Any advice on these locations would be greatly appreciated!! As well as any advice on what to do there on a daily basis (and if there is a place to get lobster fresh off of boats?). We both enjoy hiking, camping, going to the beach, pretty much anything outdoors that doesn't cost too much!
You don't have to look far because it is NOT hard to find a place to hike or camp or be outdoors. The biggest decision will be where to begin and how to fit everything in. Also, there are several beaches in the Portland area. I've been to most of them. http://www.meliving.com/beaches/portland-casco-bay/

Lobsters are easy to find. Why would they hide the lobsters? They make them easy to find so people will buy them. Maybe you could start with the state parks. Maine Bureau of Parks & Lands: Maine State Parks

Harborwalk Trail | Portland Trails Maine Lobster, Steamers, Maine Shrimp, Lobster Rolls, Peekytoe Crab Cakes, and New England Clam Chowder: Portland Lobster Company, On the Waterfront, Portland, Maine

Our personal favorite for haddock and lobster in Portland: FREE RANGE FISH & LOBSTER Free Range Fish and Lobster

What do you mean you couldn't find any places to rent? Keep looking.

Rentals in Kennebunk maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "kennebunk" - craigslist

Rentals in Cape Elizabeth maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "cape elizabeth" - craigslist

Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM

oops--waited too long to edit--for a weekend trip with over 120 miles of hiking trails Acadia National Park Home - Acadia National Park

Old 01-14-2013, 07:20 PM

47,840 posts, read 21,871,995 times
WE didnt see moose in Gorham but our neighbor who had a stream...did. We did have about 20 deer who came all winter to our back yard....(we fed then and had to have two seatings); We ended up moving due to our ages and the weather...but we loved Gorham. Great town. We also liked the drive down from Gorham toward Saco thru Scarborough and Buxton. These are really nice, country roads ... That area of Maine plus the proximity to Portland and to the coast was everything we were looking for in Maine.. good luck to you.

Even when you move a bit inland.....you will see lobsters being sold out of fishermen's garages etc. They have the tanks etc to keep it fresh. The land at the coast became so valuable...that lobstermen have moved inland and put up signs to sell from their homes in Gorham and Buxton and Westbrook.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
What do you mean you couldn't find any places to rent? Keep looking.

Rentals in Kennebunk maine apts/housing for rent classifieds "kennebunk" - craigslist
Thank you!!! We have been using Zillow since it had all of the filter options to set price limits and bedroom/bathroom limits and we can select "Pets Ok" for my kitty! We're trying to avoid renting apartments. We have found we don't like living above people (for fear of being loud) and we don't like living below people (for fear of others being loud) so we've been looking at houses.

Everyone's information has been wonderful! Thank you so very much!! We're very much looking forward to Winters again!! We also saw the Annual Lobster Fest is coming up in July/August and we're super excited to experience that!!! And we couldn't believe how cheap the admission was to get in!!!

Does anyone have any recommendations as far as vehicles?

My husband has an S2000 (he has already found an S2K "community" up there, but he wasn't sure if they are daily drivers or not) and I have a Mazda3. Obviously AWD/4WD is ideal, but the Mazda is FWD and the Honda is RWD. He was hoping to get a smaller truck (Nissan Frontier size or smaller)...any advice on vehicles would be great!

Old 01-15-2013, 12:35 PM

47,840 posts, read 21,871,995 times
My experience driving in NH snows back when I was younger and fearless was the Subaru Legacy Outback was the best car in snow.....I always felt secure.

Now we are older....We recently moved to Florida....my partner is the primary driver and he refused to drive on snow or ice....that was pretty limiting and often disruptive to plans. We drove a Honda CRV....and it seemed ok to me....but he wasnt used to driving on snow and he was really freaked. So we sold and moved. I miss Maine but I dont miss the long winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine