Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:07 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,647 times

Advertisements

We used to be on a schedule when we were working, but now, retired, we find it hard to be regimented on anything. It feels like a whole new level of freedom for us. Why don't you try writing? Maybe keep a journal. Or try your hand at painting. You said you're a drummer which means you should have rythym, so try your hand at learning guitar, or some other musical instrument. Personally, my wife and I like to keep things low-key with our agenda. We like poking around resale shops, or if we do go anywhere, we like to time it when everyone else is at work. Less crowds. Whatever you decide, the nice thing about it is it's your decision, and no other's. After talking to a fairly wide cross section of people since we have retired, I feel that any person who has the ability to retire, and live comfortably in this day and age is very fortunate considering the way everything is progressing in the economy. So, bottom line is turn that alarm clock OFF, and enjoy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:52 AM

489 posts, read 1,211,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC3 View Post
I am a bum now. And I found out that I am very good at it... lol! Actually, have been retired for almost 11 yrs now and retired at an early age. I still can't figure out how I was able to do all the everyday things and still have time TO WORK. Now it seems like there is always something to do and if you don't feel like doing it today, there is always tomorrow to do it or to finish it. I am amazed how fast the time has gone since stopping work. For myself, it doesn't take much to be active and unless one has no interests, hobbies or activities they can take part in..then retirement isn't for them. Every day now is a Sunday to me and not being restricted to just weekends or after work hours to get things done or hit the stores is a blessing. You can do things when there are no crowds and not feel rushed or time constricted. I know this isn't saying anything about activities but that would be up to each individual's choice. For some just reading a good book may make them happy. And after all, that is what it is all about...happiness.
JC3 hit the nail on the head. Great advice.
I kind of look at it though as every night is a Friday night and every day is a Saturday. (unless, of course, if you had to work Saturdays)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:28 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,607 times
I'm just about a year from calling it quits and moving to near Portland, Maine (Summer of 2014). I've already found that an ice rink in Falmouth has drop-in hockey almost everyday at noon and they are always short of goalies (yeah, that's right. I'm a goalie on Medicare). I've also started looking for senior bargains at local ski resorts (winter) and golf courses (summer). I've done some research on snoeshoes (I've still got my X-country skis from when I lived in Minnesota - although I think technology would make them appear obsolete). And I've been looking on-line at animal adoption agencies. Once I get there and settle in, I plan of "adopting" a couple of dogs and a couple of cats. And then there's fishing and sailing. I think I'll need more time to get all these activities into my schedule. I can't wait.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:32 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
The humane societies in Maine are outstanding. We adopted a young dog from the Greater Androscoggin Humane Society in Lewiston, Maine. Highly recommend it--wonderful people and they work with shelters/humane societies in other parts of the country to bring adoptable dogs to Maine. A great dog park is adjacent to the humane society, too.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 PM

476 posts, read 748,152 times
Default Stay Fit and Trim!

Here's a cool skill to work on in your retirement.
This show of manly strength should also come in handy next time those punks come to your place and try and rip off gear out of your shed. This ought to show 'em!

How to Tear a Phone Book in Half | The Art of Manliness

I plan on giving this a go tomorrow after my morning constitutional.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,999 times
Cool web site!! Thanks.......grrrrrrrr Tore my phone book in half. Of course the Abbot book is only about 1/4 inch thick.........

Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 AM

476 posts, read 748,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
Cool web site!! Thanks.......grrrrrrrr Tore my phone book in half. Of course the Abbot book is only about 1/4 inch thick.........
LOL! Alright, great job! Ours is about 1-1/2", so I'll let you know… I'd better have my Wheaties first!

Old 03-06-2013, 08:33 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by namder1 View Post
I'll be officially retired in April. All new territory for me. Besides the usual activities like fishing and hunting what other hobbies do you other retired folks do? I'm thinking of doing some volunteering and I'm a drummer so I'll do more of that. Just curious what other folks do. Can't afford to travel too much.....more of a homebody anyway.

Most men don't want to do this, but my husband and I do trap neuter and return of feral cats in colonies to prevent the birth of feral kittens and all the suffering that entails. We also tame older feral kittens and get them homes, and we take in abandoned tame cats, get them veterinary care and we find them homes. It's a wonderful, rewarding thing to do and we do it all day long, in between short vacations and just keeping doctor appointments, keeping our house in order, etc. We belong to Alley Cat Allies and Neighborhood Cats.

Some men do this and I know of some that are amazing,what they do for animals. You could volunteer for a dog and cat shelter, walk dogs for shelters, do a million other things to help animals.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:37 PM

2,280 posts, read 4,514,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineguy04654 View Post
I spend my days hunting, building and buying selling guns. Shooting daily is a great thing. In another couple years my driveway will be paved with brass.
Yuk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine