Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 06:01 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,640 times

Advertisements

This thread may get one or two answers. That's okay.

The house I have found, while on the water is on marshland. Which I DO like. In fact, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the place.

How much will I be missing if it's not on granite? (this might be entirely personal, I know) Is it ever FAR to get to some granite?

I didn't realize until today when the broker said so that part of what comforts me about maine is that granite.

So solid.

She was saying that in Bangor you get more the granite, and diversity and mountains and etc....

So, where are the best parts of maine to buy this granite diversity?
I'm being funny with a serious question. Or not so funny but the question IS serious. Being on the water is essential. As long as I am in reach of granite I think I'll be okay.

Anyone have any thoughts?
Oh and what about growing blueberries? That sandy loam probably isn't too supportive of growing things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 06:07 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
You can always have a couple of those big chunks of granite dropped in the yard Blueberries (the low growing "wild" types) like sandy loam.

Old 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Default excellente

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
You can always have a couple of those big chunks of granite dropped in the yard Blueberries (the low growing "wild" types) like sandy loam.
So far I like it.

As you 'may know' for years most of us here believe that Florida will eventually just disappear into the ocean. LOL

I have a pretty extensive rock colection. Always picking them up on walks and travels and from the tiny hands as gifts.

Chunks of granite. Hmmm. Of course then everyone would laugh.

Oh well, might as well get it all over with at once. The accent, the weird clothes, the 'awayness' now some granite chunks. LOL.
Thanks Msina

Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,379,799 times
actually you see alot of big chunks of granite in yards, the result no doubt of foundation digging

Old 10-22-2007, 06:25 PM

264 posts, read 397,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post

The house I have found, while on the water is on marshland. Which I DO like. In fact, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the place.

How much will I be missing if it's not on granite? (this might be entirely personal, I know) Is it ever FAR to get to some granite?

I didn't realize until today when the broker said so that part of what comforts me about maine is that granite.

So solid.

She was saying that in Bangor you get more the granite, and diversity and mountains and etc....

I'm being funny with a serious question. Or not so funny but the question IS serious. Being on the water is essential. As long as I am in reach of granite I think I'll be okay.

Oh and what about growing blueberries? That sandy loam probably isn't too supportive of growing things.
If you choose to build on granite or buy a house built in granite, you might want to know something about radon and its impact on houses and people on top of granite.

Radon (http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/eng/rad/Radon/hp_radon.htm - broken link)

Old 10-22-2007, 06:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,752,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post
If you choose to build on granite or buy a house built in granite, you might want to know something about radon and its impact on houses and people on top of granite.

Good point to bring up the radon, esp for someone moving in from out of state.

Old 10-22-2007, 07:55 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,360,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainewannabe View Post

So solid.

I realize that each of us speaks a different language, but WOW, you lost me there.

Very few houses sit on granite in this area, not that I have seen. Granite is a really hard rock, hard hard rock.

Maine does have slate however.

"granite diversity" ???

Okay so you want water within reach of granite?

By the way: granite does not support root growth, thus plants can not grow in granite. Loam can hold nutrients and sand allows drainage.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:22 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,904 times
Many granite cellars up here. Granite equals Radon. However, your best drinking water will lie in a granite aquifer, as much as a 200 or 300 feet down

Old 10-23-2007, 02:28 PM

Default yes

you are RIGHT. It was a confusing question. LOL. I should have worded it much better or used some emoticons or something. I think what the difference was is flatter and sandier as opposed to granite and rocky shores.

I see the 'beach area' where I am looking as more marshy. Where the broker lives is more of a cliff area and a rocky, pebbly beach.

But, the question was just plain wrong. Thanks for your usual good effort.

As usual, everything you say makes sense.
Sorry the question was written so quickly. Many interruptions and wanted to ask it.
Oh, and how is it that elcarim knows of your big fluffy beard? Do I miss the picture section as well as the games section?? Which some here caught me up on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I realize that each of us speaks a different language, but WOW, you lost me there.

Very few houses sit on granite in this area, not that I have seen. Granite is a really hard rock, hard hard rock.

Maine does have slate however.

"granite diversity" ???

Okay so you want water within reach of granite?

By the way: granite does not support root growth, thus plants can not grow in granite. Loam can hold nutrients and sand allows drainage.

Old 10-23-2007, 02:30 PM

Default thanks parrotpaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrotpaul View Post

I'm thinking I've heard of this in Florida TOO. Not sure what they blame it on here and then again I could be wrong. I know they sell some kind of detectors or something ....???? Don't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine