Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM

17 posts, read 60,461 times

Advertisements

Hi, All,
I posted about relocating...I'm also wondering what sort of employment is available in Maine. I currently work in an administrative position but have found, after 18 years here, that I really dislike the corporate rat race. I have two years in journalism and have been writing a book in my "spare" time. I am also a reflexologist, reiki practitioner, herbalist and an angel light messenger. Is there a decent market for the holistic field? Can anyone recommend some spas in their area that might consider at least employing me as an independent contractor? As for the writing, can anyone recommend a local newspaper office that might accept freelance writing? PS I have a third job typing up court room and insurance transcripts. Can anyone recommend a firm that might be interested in having their work transcribed?

Thank you,
The Herbal Kitty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 07:56 AM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
I would google "spas in Maine" and then send resumes to each and every one. I sent out hubby's resumes to corporate offices and got nothing. When I sent his resume to individual stores (he's in retail managment), we got tons of calls. I would also check with some of the bigger newspapers and also check with employment agencies. You have experience in several different fields, which should make your job search a little easier. Good luck !

Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,665 times
Hi Herbal Kitty,

It looks like you have a wide variety of skills and interests. The holistic health field in the Portland area is growing quite rapidly I think. There is a medical park in South Portland that features "Holistic Physical Therapy", and it is situated amongst other "traditional" medical practices (Dermatology, Family Practice, General Surgery, etc).

Also, I know of a smaller office building in So.Portland. looking for a tenant who will mesh well with their holistic healing atmosphere. The space is in a converted house with plenty of parking, and there are a few other natural health practitioners in the building too, I believe massage therapists, counselors, etc.

Good luck on your quest! ~sk

Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Just set up anywhere below the Volvo line. You could do just fine!

Old 09-08-2007, 02:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theherbalkitty View Post
Hi, All,
I posted about relocating...I'm also wondering what sort of employment is available in Maine. I currently work in an administrative position but have found, after 18 years here, that I really dislike the corporate rat race. I have two years in journalism and have been writing a book in my "spare" time. I am also a reflexologist, reiki practitioner, herbalist and an angel light messenger. Is there a decent market for the holistic field? Can anyone recommend some spas in their area that might consider at least employing me as an independent contractor? As for the writing, can anyone recommend a local newspaper office that might accept freelance writing? PS I have a third job typing up court room and insurance transcripts. Can anyone recommend a firm that might be interested in having their work transcribed?

Thank you,
The Herbal Kitty
"discover" maine magazine is looking for a field supervisor writer,,,

Old 09-08-2007, 08:43 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
If you haven't learned yet what the Volvo line is, get someone to explain to you! Not me!! It's something about yuppies, I think.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:27 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theherbalkitty View Post
Hi, All,

Thank you,
The Herbal Kitty
Reading your post I thought of Belfast.

It seems to be as a center for holistic statewide.

Old 09-09-2007, 07:44 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Oh, yes, Belfast! I'd love to have you as a neighbor!!

Old 09-09-2007, 08:29 AM

37,467 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
If you haven't learned yet what the Volvo line is, get someone to explain to you! Not me!! It's something about yuppies, I think.
It is seen in: the cost-of-living, the standard-of-living, and in how much you need to earn to stay viable.

It is seen directly in terms of: land prices, housing prices, wages, local taxes, and the volume of local bureaucrats [building inspectors, code enforcement officers, selectmen, and other folks whose salaries come from the tax revenue, and whose job it is the 'regulate' the citizens].

While that line exists, it is hotly debated as to where exactly the line lays.

The reason why it's exactly location is so hotly debated is that the line of demarcation is really like a rainbow. It is not a line like between night and day. There are shades, or gradients. Made up of layers one atop the next.

Many folks appear to live happily in the first gradient, just one step away from the highest levels of bureaucratic regulation [ie, the highest home prices, the highest wages, and the higher taxes].

While many others look on that in shock and horror. They live in other gradients of that line, where things are cheaper and less regulated.

There are two corridors where the volvo line follows a contour and extends itself Northward much further than in surrounding areas. The line [or more properly the layers of lines] extend a long ways up the coast, hugging most tightly to route 1 and the communities immediately along the shore-line. Traveling along the shore you must need to go much further North to find lesser and lesser layers of volvo. However as you travel away from the coast, away from the tourist industry, those layers fade away quickly and you can find rural communities that are obviously enjoying much lower levels of regulation and higher prices, and there is no volvo at all.

Also along the corridor of I-95, the darkest layers of that line travel in a fairly narrow corridor right up the freeway for quite a distance. Volvo appears to be everywhere. But again as you travel to either side, moving away from the freeway corridor, you can find many quite small communities where peace and tranquility reins, and no volvo can be found at all.

To see this most profoundly look at any community up in 'The County' and compare it to Portland. Entirely different lifestyles, and the reason for such different lifestyles is based largely upon a combination of those factors I have listed previously. Beginning North, as you work your way South, you begin to add layers of volvo, one layer onto another layer. Until you finally get to the Southern border areas and the darkest level of volvo layers.

With of course the noted exceptions of the two corridors where the line does appear to extend Northward a ways.

I hope that this helps.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:03 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Born and raised here with the exception of a few Air Force years, and I've never heard of the Volvo line. What is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine