Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:22 PM

50 posts, read 207,149 times

Advertisements

When my father first moved to Maine 7 years ago he survived two Maine winters in one of these.

The Arctic Oven from Alaska Tent and Tarp ~ rugged tents for

Of course he grew up in Maine and had a good idea of what he was getting himself into and only lived here in Dallas for 10 years.

However, he swears by the Alaska Tent and uses one of their wall tents for his firewood storage. Only cost him $350 for it and has held up the past 5 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,915,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Golanus, thanks for the well inform advise.

Winter is my most fear moving to the northern states.

We vacation in Vermont during winter is was beautiful we drove around and like just like a poster pictures place where I would like to live. We went back to New England during spring,fall and it just beautiful as winter and very different.

For the past 4-5 years, I want to a move to the northern states but the fear of winter keep stop from make a move, but the thinking of moving still there.
I just feel it is time to do it, the though is not going to go away. Here i came Maine.

that never cross my mind, I guess i happen. have to do some reading on this subject.
You do have a somewhat complicated situation, since you already own the land in Maine. However, land can be sold if you decide not to use it. Since you are very concerned about winter weather, I wonder why you've decided you want to live in a far northern state. I wonder how well you've tolerated winter in Virginia. If that has worked well for you, I wonder whether you might consider buying some land in Virginia, and making your new life there. Virginia too is a beautiful state, and, though the winters can get cold compared to Florida, unless you live high in the Virginia mountains you'll have much less severely cold weather, much less snow, and much shorter winters than you find in any of the states you've considered.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:54 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
Ogre:
I live in Virginia this past winter(dec 06-mar 07), we have 1 or 2 snow days it beautiful but did not last. I enjoy winter here, but i want to experience the true northern states winter but not as a tourist, done that. I guess I am want to live my life very differently from the early part of my life. My wife said she would not mind to move to Maine, she wants to get away from the Hurricane season in Miami.

Steinebach;
thanks, But I don't think I am ready for that extreme.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
Ogre:
I live in Virginia this past winter(dec 06-mar 07), we have 1 or 2 snow days it beautiful but did not last. I enjoy winter here, but i want to experience the true northern states winter but not as a tourist, done that. I guess I am want to live my life very differently from the early part of my life. My wife said she would not mind to move to Maine, she wants to get away from the Hurricane season in Miami.

Steinebach;
thanks, But I don't think I am ready for that extreme.
LOL!

Steinbeck..."I lived in a place with a good climate, and it bored the hell out of me."

"Travels With Charlie"

Old 11-12-2007, 03:35 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,168 times
If You Realy Want To Know.
If I Were You I Would Come To Maine And Rent A House For The Winter.
That Way It Might Prepare You For The Next Winter.
Bad Idea To Live In Your Camper .
When I Got A Divorce In Oct Of99 I Lived Im Mine .
It Was A Bad Idea, Good Luck In What Ever You Decide.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:20 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Any updates?

Old 12-31-2007, 04:44 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
I think we talked him out of it.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:25 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
forest/nmlm, the plan is still on, the time line to move may have change a bit. I like the area so much bought more land, 130 acres in Waltham on Graham Lake.
Now, after impaulse buy, the plan get more complicated. Will have to wait till spring to go back to Maine and re asset the situation.
thanks for asking.

Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
I've decided we'll either survive the Maine winters or die enjoying them!! Has anyone ever heard of death by snow shoveling?

Old 12-31-2007, 06:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've decided we'll either survive the Maine winters or die enjoying them!! Has anyone ever heard of death by snow shoveling?

It's more commonly referred to as a Heart Attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine