Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:09 PM

742 posts, read 1,227,877 times

Advertisements

Maineguy I appreciate your openmindedness, would you disagree that living in beautiful places in Maine can be harder if you dont have the right situation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 12:44 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Hey, Mr. Sub, since you are a vet, do you know if a lot of vets retire in Florida? Florida has a very large retired population. It seems to be working out reasonably well there, although it is tough to raise school taxes on retired people who do not use schools. I think it works out well for Maine, too. My view is that it helps keep the crime rate low since retired people conduct very few breaking and entering crimes.
Yes Florida has a lot of retirees from all sectors.

If you like beaches Florida is good.

If you like forest; hiking, camping, hunting, fishing, then Maine is good

Old 03-21-2013, 12:50 PM

I give up.

though for the record having a very low population and extreme cold weather cuts into a lot of crime.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:38 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,891,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
okay let me rephrase it- I dont believe that any state can function if it has a disproportionate number of retirees, especially a low industry state like Maine. They are not a source of growth.

But my point stands if the discussion is about non retirees main can be very untenable.
Maine has been functioning for hundreds of years before you showed up to let everyone know it can't be done. Why are you even associating yourself with Maine? You have soooooooooooooooo many complaints about the people and the State. What are you trying to accomplish with all your negativity? I-95 is still available for you to move to a different state.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:03 AM

6,224 posts, read 6,607,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
Maine has been functioning for hundreds of years before you showed up to let everyone know it can't be done. Why are you even associating yourself with Maine? You have soooooooooooooooo many complaints about the people and the State. What are you trying to accomplish with all your negativity? I-95 is still available for you to move to a different state.

Hahahahaha... now that's tellin' it like it is, eh? Why would he spend clock on here, bashing his obvious loathing & detesting of Maine, when there's tons of other places he could be spouting anti-state rhetoric (aka, back n forth tennis match of barbs & insults, to be more like it) elsewhere to ruin some else's day.

Totally devoid of logic, let alone simple manners or worse yet simple kindness, that certainly proves he ain't from Maine nor does Maine really need behavior as such. There are quite a plethora of cantankerous folks in this day & age, to need one more to add to the mix, to just stir up a pot of confusion.

We don't need this type poster to ad drawbacks, because as drawbacks & hardships of pioneer/rustic life came up, they've been dealt w/ as need be for centuries now (as you put it) & Maine still stands as one of the states of the Union to my knowledge -- last time I checked (& I could be wrong, dunno, LOL).

Ok, I'm through even trying to reason let alone rationalize his antics.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:03 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainegrl2011 View Post
This comment is based on knowing little about you, but you seem like a good candidate to fit in...respect the privacy of others as well as wanting your own privacy. Be friendly...Know how to mind your own business....Don't even think about talking about changing anything about Maine!....Don't talk about how wonderful things are in some other state...

Jobs jobs jobs....that is the challenge. If your wife's business can be successful in Maine, that's a plus. If you are offered a job in advertising, grab it....might be years before you get another offer. Try living in Maine; you're young enough to change your mind and leave if Maine isn't what you envisioned/expected/wanted it to be. Have an exit plan in case you need one. There are a significant number of college-educated Mainers who can't find work in their field and are working for $10-$12 an hour....some with more than one job....
Very well put. Lack of jobs are a very big problem here for sure.

Old 03-30-2013, 05:19 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinScot View Post
My wife and I are considering a move to new england (NH or ME). We currently live in SE Michigan and find the crime, boring scenery, and general overpopulation to be a but much to make plans to stay here the rest of our lives. We are both in our early thirties and college educated. My wife is small business owner and a real estate agent and I work in advertising. We love nature, prefer to be well away from our neighbors (I'm a bit of a curmudgeon), have no interest in "night life," and don't shrink from the cold (both of us are originally from the U.P.). My family took trips to New England often when I was younger and I fell in love with the rugged coasts and wild forests of the region. I would love to call it my home. It seems like Maine would be a good fit for us but I would love to hear what you guys think.
Well one thing's for sure - it sounds like it would be a good fit for you.

Still, I always advise that people plan a visit both in winter and summer.

Securing gainful employment before packing the moving van is a MUST! Yes, an ABSOLUTE MUST.

PS: Pay no mind to the useless quibbling. Most of us can't be bothered with arguing over semantics. There is good and bad everywhere of course. You must visit for yourself and make your own determination if Maine is right for you. Have you researched it at all? Any idea of whether you'd rather be near the coast or wild forests?

Old 03-30-2013, 05:23 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainelander View Post
Maineguy I appreciate your openmindedness, would you disagree that living in beautiful places in Maine can be harder if you dont have the right situation?
Living anywhere can be harder if you don't have the right situation isn't it?

Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,201,344 times
I'd like to chime in here, if I may. Now, I do not plan on moving to Maine. I have never even visited Maine, though I would like to one day. Which is why im visiting this forum. Im a hiker, and MT Katahdin is in my sights one day. However, all that does not matter because I feel what im going to say is true no matter WHERE anyone is talking about moving to.

Anyway, I dont understand why some are displeased with Mainelander's comments. If those are HIS opinions of Maine, then he has the right to offer his opinion on the way HE sees things. I think it is absolutely crucial that people hear the good and bad about a place, because no place is perfect for EVERYBODY.

I live and grew up in MA. But my extended family lives in Virginia. When I retire, I plan on moving closer to my family. When I start really looking into exactly WHERE I want to live down there, I want to hear what people think are the GOOD points about where ever i'm looking, AND the bad points. Why would anyone NOT want to know what the natives feel are good points and bad points about a place?? This blows my mind. The more you know, the more informed you can be. I feel this is true on a lot of things. Everyone will have their own feelings about where they live, and If I were looking to move to a particular place, I would want to hear them all. Just because SOME people only want to talk about what they perceive as good things, does not mean they have the right to tell someone else that they shouldnt talk about what they may feel are not so good points. I mean, who made some of you the boss on what people can say about THEIR own observations?? Once I hear what people have to say, good and bad, I will still make my own decision as to whether or not that is the place for me.

Some peoples 'cons' about a place may not matter to me, just like the 'pros' may not matter to me. It will depend on what I need and want in the next place I call home. And I feel the best way to help me make that decision (in addition to other research, of course) is to hear from the natives about their experiences and how they view where they live. Whether good or bad. So MAINELANDER, I appreciate your willingness to give your own insight into this topic. When I finally get ready to make my own move, I hope I get info from people who are not afraid to just give their honest opinion. I am adult enough to decide whether or not those opinions apply to me.

Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 AM

Thank you summerfall it is sad and perplexing how Maines cheerleaders can not and will not accept ANY criticisms about maine.

Read ANY comment i have made about maine and none of them are unfair, untrue or exaggerations.

If this was a forum about YUGO's and someone made a topic "Thinking about buying a YUGO", i'd have to point out their poor safety standards and low quality materials.

The fact that so many refuse to even ALLOW factually correct negative statements about Maine is ridiculous.

I don't "get off" from bringing up the flaws of maine by any means, if anything it depresses me. But to deny that these issues exist is the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand.

If people don't like my honesty then don't read what I have to say, because i won't be chased off by impotent angry nobodies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine